Possible converter slip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you properly diagnose this issue? I would rather try and diagnose it myself, but may have to have a shop do this.

My 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k original miles will shudder as low as 30mph on up to 65mph. It feels as if I'm driving over rough road or there is a misfire in the engine. I have pretty much ruled out the engine because I did a compression test and it was fine. I had my local shop do a full diagnostic and fuel trims came back good as well as no vacuum leaks. I replaced the plugs, plug wires, coil pack and cleaned sensors which did not help the shudder. So now I'm pursuing a possible converter issue.

As noted in prior threads, no CEL or codes.

Last edited:
Has the transmission ever been serviced, e.g. fluid change, filter replacement?

If not, I'd say a complete fluid exchange via the cooler line would be my next step. Nothing fancy, just whatever it specifies which is probably Mercon. Castrol Transmax Dex-Merc High Mileage would be my choice if the vehicle calls for Mercon (not Mercon V), gallon jugs available at Wal-Mart for $17 or so. Valvoline Dex-Merc is $14 if you want to save a few bucks and still use good fluid.

As far as I know it hasn't been serviced.s
Originally Posted by crainholio
Has the transmission ever been serviced, e.g. fluid change, filter replacement?

If not, I'd say a complete fluid exchange via the cooler line would be my next step. Nothing fancy, just whatever it specifies which is probably Mercon. Castrol Transmax Dex-Merc High Mileage would be my choice if the vehicle calls for Mercon (not Mercon V), gallon jugs available at Wal-Mart for $17 or so. Valvoline Dex-Merc is $14 if you want to save a few bucks and still use good fluid.

erviced

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
As far as I know it hasn't been serviced.

There ya go. You may be able to bandaid it with a tube of Shudder Fix, but I'd do a fluid exchange via the cooler line as mentioned above.

There ya go. You may be able to bandaid it with a tube of Shudder Fix, but I'd do a fluid exchange via the cooler line as mentioned above.

Would a fluid exchange fix the issue possibly or would it be borrowed time?

A 67K transmission shouldn't be on borrowed time. And doesn't it have a filter you drop the pan to replace?

I've experienced overaged trans fluid cause torque converter clutch chatter, and it felt as you described...like driving over a washboard. A fluid exchange cured it.

As another guy mentioned, dropping the pan should be included. Both to replace the filter as well as remove the existing fluid in the pan (no drain plug). There's a YouTube video of a 2000 Ranger, not sure if it's the same trans as yours.

Ok thanks guys I will move forward with the fluid exchange and reply back as to what the result was/is.

I have a 98 ranger 3.0 and i just did a transmission service with supertech mercon v and there was a noticable increase in smoothness.

Ok thanks guys I will move forward with the fluid exchange and reply back as to what the result was/is.

Yes. Had the same issue in my old '03 Marquis 4R70W. A pan drop mostly cured it, a second with a bottle of Lubegard Red eliminated it a few days later. Mercon V [edit: or the older Mercon] is decent fluid, but isn't a good long-life fluid IMO.

Last edited:
Is the Castrol mercon v good to go?

What does your transmission call for? Fords usually have this stamped into the dipstick, otherwise reference the owner's manual.

Is the Castrol mercon v good to go?

I think any fluid labeled as mercon v has to meet the licensed specs

That sounds like what happens when you put Dex/Merc III in a Ford transmission that calls for Mercon V.

Any Mercon V, even Supertech, should help

Originally Posted by joegreen
I have a 98 ranger 3.0 and i just did a transmission service with supertech mercon v and there was a noticable increase in smoothness.

That's what I understand fixes most shuddering.

The manual calls for mercon v I was just wondering if castrol's mercon v was a good fluid. I looked up the specs on maxlife atf and it meets Fords mercon v requirements so I will be using that.

I have seen fluid changes "fix "many transmissions with issues… They are designed to go on fresh fluid, and after 17 years and 67,000 miles it's no longer fresh.

If the problem persists after the Fluid exchange, check your motor mounts.

Any leaks ? Is it filled to the proper amount ?

I do not own a ford . Last one I had was a 1969 0r 1970 . So I have no direct experience on your vehicle .

But , were it me I would do a pan drop , spill , fill & filter replacement . If it does not kelp ( enough for you to detect ) , you have not hurt anything . And it was a reliability inexpensive try .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back