Clean Engine - Skyactiv 2.0 - 62k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can appreciate a clean engine - but never read much consensus regarding how to safely do it without getting things wet that should not get wet ? ... That goes for the engine cleaning sprays from WM or auto parts stores as well - some engine cleaning sprays may be safe , perhaps other engine cleaning sprays not so much .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I can appreciate a clean engine - but never read much consensus regarding how to safely do it without getting things wet that should not get wet ? ... That goes for the engine cleaning sprays from WM or auto parts stores as well - some engine cleaning sprays may be safe , perhaps other engine cleaning sprays not so much .

I believe it comes down to common sense. All of the components under the hood are "water resistant", however that does not mean you can drench them in water. You don't ever want to powerwash the engine. I try and cover all visible sensors, alternator and engine valve cover/coils. I always use a gentle hose spray. I get the engine wet first, then spray with Simple Green HD. I use a large paint brush and go over as much of the area that I can. I then rinse it off and use the electric leaf blower to dry it. I start the car ASAP to get the engine hot so it will further dry it out (and also check if I messed something up). Once the engine is fully dry and hot, I spray it with 303 or whatever engine dressing you choose and shut the hood. It ends up leaving a nice finish on it. I've been doing it this way for 20 years and never had a problem.

Originally Posted by parshisa
you've driven 134K miles in 1.5year????????????????

That is correct Sir.
Thanks for noticing.
I do contract local deliveries in the Bay Area.
360 days per year.
Small parcels, air freight, medical specimens, etc.
I case you are IRS, yes I have mileage logs.
Engine bay looks nothing like busters.
I will add this to my list of chores.
A clean engine is a beautiful thing.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

That is correct Sir.
Thanks for noticing.
360 days per year.

Cool. I would imagine you would be better off with a Prius instead of a Mazda 3.

How much do you usually charge, by miles or time? Do you deliver for individuals that don't have deadline for a discount?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PandaBear

That is correct Sir.
Thanks for noticing.
360 days per year.

Cool. I would imagine you would be better off with a Prius instead of a Mazda 3.

How much do you usually charge, by miles or time? Do you deliver for individuals that don't have deadline for a discount?

I have used 2 PriusC's for 250k miles on my job...bulletproof little car.

A near fatal accident and two near misses caused me to circle back to a Tacoma.

Prius L Eco is on my short list.

It is efficiency vs durability, in vehicle and motor oil.

The jobs are flat rate. There are different rates for different deadlines.

The Bay Area is a great area to do what I do, neighbor.
OAK-SFO-SJC-SMF-MRY.

That is correct Sir.
Thanks for noticing.
360 days per year.

OAK-SFO-SJC-SMF-MRY.

Funny you mention Taco's and courier work. I have a customer with a '16 Taco, somewhere in the area of 290k (last I saw). That replaced her '14 that had 360K on it when she got rid of it (she bought the '16 brand new). She's already eyeballing a '19, if/when she can make a deal on one.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

I believe it comes down to common sense. All of the components under the hood are "water resistant", however that does not mean you can drench them in water. You don't ever want to powerwash the engine. I try and cover all visible sensors, alternator and engine valve cover/coils. I always use a gentle hose spray. I get the engine wet first, then spray with Simple Green HD. I use a large paint brush and go over as much of the area that I can. I then rinse it off and use the electric leaf blower to dry it. I start the car ASAP to get the engine hot so it will further dry it out (and also check if I messed something up). Once the engine is fully dry and hot, I spray it with 303 or whatever engine dressing you choose and shut the hood. It ends up leaving a nice finish on it. I've been doing it this way for 20 years and never had a problem.

Now, now, let's not go overboard. I've power-washed every engine I ever had, and it's not introduced any problems yet.

While you certainly don't want to stick the nozzle of a high pressure power-washer gun right up against sensitive components, there is no danger in giving them a good spray of water from 4-5 feet away.

If there is, then I have been extremely lucky over the years...

Originally Posted by 14Accent

That is correct Sir.
Thanks for noticing.
360 days per year.

OAK-SFO-SJC-SMF-MRY.

Funny you mention Taco's and courier work. I have a customer with a '16 Taco, somewhere in the area of 290k (last I saw). That replaced her '14 that had 360K on it when she got rid of it (she bought the '16 brand new). She's already eyeballing a '19, if/when she can make a deal on one.

Nice !! I hope it all serves her well !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back