Is Honda fluid really the only fluid to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OilUzer
fyi, Prestone cor-guard antifreeze says on the jug that it can be used for any car, all makes and models, foreign , etc. guaranteed and it will not void the warranty ... Says the same on their web site.
specifically if you are in N. America (has to do with water) , it's all ok.
I researched this since I had s few gallons in the garage and also couple of dealers told me it's ok to use and have been using it on Japanese cars (old & new) for many years! I

Water? In what way?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Automatic transmission = Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle ATF.
Much closer to the specs and performance characteristics of OEM Honda DW-1 as opposed to something like Valvoline Max Life.
The desire should be to get a fluid that provides shift performance and wear performance as close to stock as possible for the longest life of the transmission.

What "performance characteristics"? And where are you seeing "wear performance"?

I have a 2007 Honda Accord. I use any motor oil that meets Honda's specs, which would be any SN 5W-20. I'm currently using Castrol Edge synthetic but that's only because I got a bunch at a good price.

Over time I've used a variety of oil filters and currently have a good stock of Wix oil filters which I change every second time just as Honda recommends.

I've only used Honda transmission fluid. The manual transmission seems to be kind of touchy but it shifts beautifully with Honda fluid.

I've only used Honda coolant.

Honda engine air filters are reasonably priced so I use them. Honda cabin air filters are expensive so I use after-market ones.

An 11 year old car, with probably unknown maintenance history, that likely has been on conventional oil its entire life. Do not use synthetic oil . The cheapest 5W20 conventional oil that Walmart sells is all that you need.

The coolant and ATF DW1 are easy to find online, for decent prices. My go to source for Honda fluids is/was Curry Acura out of NY. They used to/might still sold fluids for cheaper than anyone else could AND had free delivery. They were the number one Honda/Acura parts dealer in the country...

Use the OEM coolant and the OEM ATF. Don't deviate. Its not worth the $5 you will save. Some eBay sellers sometimes sell "Kits" with everything you need to change your fluid, including the drain plug gasket.

Im pretty sure Walmart/Autozone/Advance Auto parts sell Honda labeled power steering fluid. Turkey baster suck the old stuff out, and then do it again a week later, and then again a week later, and most of the fluid will be changed out. Easier than full drain and introducing air to the system.

Originally Posted by brages
the car has already "lasted a long time"

anyway...

For coolant, the "best" would be either Honda coolant or any aftermarket "Asian Blue" coolant. I have some kind of generic green coolant in my Odyssey and it's fine though.

For oil, again whatever.

Power steering fluid, I have heard you should stick with Honda. Not sure if it's true, but why risk it.

Transmission, I'm all for the Maxlife, get it cheap at Walmart and change it often. If they didn't know how to build a good transmission, what makes you think they know how to make a great fluid?

No need for power steering fluid, his cars doesn't use it.

The old Honda automatic transmissions and power steering systems would do very badly on generic fluid.

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the following:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
An 11 year old car, with probably unknown maintenance history, that likely has been on conventional oil its entire life. Do not use synthetic oil . The cheapest 5W20 conventional oil that Walmart sells is all that you need.

Why not synthetic?

Use the OEM coolant and the OEM ATF. Don't deviate. Its not worth the $5 you will save. Some eBay sellers sometimes sell "Kits" with everything you need to change your fluid, including the drain plug gasket.

I've read stories of others using MaxLife + Lubegard for their ATF in their Honda, and having good results over 100k miles. I haven't seen anyone with real data one way or the other. The ATF thread linked earlier wasn't very convincing of anything either. (I could be overlooking something, though, as I'm not knowledgeable about the mineral contents.)

Oil - literally just match the recommended weight
Coolant - Honda stuff is expensive and 3 other brands make the silicate free blue stuff now. I used peak asian blue and it's fine.
Transmission - Big debate on this one but I've never heard a bad thing about those who use Max Life ATF including myself, it's fantastic stuff at 1/3 the cost
PSF - Stick with Honda here as it's only a $1 a difference per bottle
Brake - Dot3 plain and simple

welcome2.gif

You do not have to use only OEM Honda fluids
smile.gif

For the coolant, Zerex Asian Blue at Walmart is a great choice. There is also Pentofrost A3, and if you're lucky, you can find Recochem OEM Blue at Pep Boys.

For the ATF, get Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. The parts stores put it on sale a few times a year for $5/qt.

The fluid that Hondas are most particular about is the power steering. Idemitsu PSF at Napa is good stuff at a fair price, but any PS fluid labeled for Honda is ok to use. But make sure it says Honda on it! All the major parts stores have Honda-specific PS fluid. O'Reilly even carries it by the quart!

I just changed the rear differential fluid in my 2018 Pilot Touring....needed 2 quarts and found it on Amazon for a price that it didn't make sense to not use genuine Honda differential fluid. For transmission and differential fluid I'll probably continue to use genuine Honda fluids.

Last edited:
My Honda mechanic (a Honda specialty shop) swears by Castrol Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF, and I have been running that for 2 years. Shifts very smoothly and no problems. I plan to drain 3 quarts every year to keep it fresh. It's a 2002 Odyssey with the original transmission - 140k miles.

I used to run Mobil-1 oil, but it seems much quieter with Pennzoil and QSUD synthetic.

Last edited:
Stick with Honda OEM for coolant, transmission and power steering (especially). Use aftermarket for oil, filter, and differential.

On my 1997 Civic I've been using Maxlife for over 10 years and Toyota Red Coolant for the last 6-7 years. No issues and I'm the Original owner of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

You do not have to use only OEM Honda fluids
smile.gif

For the coolant, Zerex Asian Blue at Walmart is a great choice. There is also Pentofrost A3, and if you're lucky, you can find Recochem OEM Blue at Pep Boys.

For the ATF, get Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. The parts stores put it on sale a few times a year for $5/qt.

The fluid that Hondas are most particular about is the power steering. Idemitsu PSF at Napa is good stuff at a fair price, but any PS fluid labeled for Honda is ok to use. But make sure it says Honda on it! All the major parts stores have Honda-specific PS fluid. O'Reilly even carries it by the quart!

FYI I thought Idemitsu was the same as honda as well...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JerryBob
My Honda mechanic (a Honda specialty shop) swears by Castrol Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF, and I have been running that for 2 years. Shifts very smoothly and no problems. I plan to drain 3 quarts every year to keep it fresh. It's a 2002 Odyssey with the original transmission - 140k miles.

I used to run Mobil-1 oil, but it seems much quieter with Pennzoil and QSUD synthetic.

I've heard good things about that as well but I'm sticking with Valvoline because of how well it's working in our 05 Odyssey.

For my Honda, and others I have owned, I use all Honda OEM fluids except for engine oil. I used PPPP 0w20 for that.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by OilUzer
fyi, Prestone cor-guard antifreeze says on the jug that it can be used for any car, all makes and models, foreign , etc. guaranteed and it will not void the warranty ... Says the same on their web site.
specifically if you are in N. America (has to do with water) , it's all ok.
I researched this since I had s few gallons in the garage and also couple of dealers told me it's ok to use and have been using it on Japanese cars (old & new) for many years! I

Water? In what way?

If you go to Prestone web site under FAQ:

"Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles."

it also says that Prestone cor-guard is safe for any car and truck, any make, any model and any color antifreeze and guaranteed and won't void the warranty. Lots of testing with good results ....

That's the only brand antifreeze I've ever used with no issues with many different cars old & new ... I'm sure there are other good antifreeze on the market. Its like different brand of api oil. Oil is oil kind of a discussion
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by DavidDoes
Is anyone here over 200k miles with their Honda? There's a fellow on fitfreak.net with over 500k miles.

Lol, yep. Not near 500k, but our 2000 is still going even after a recent 'event'. (Mileage in Signature)

My current preferences:

Oil - Whatever - Currently Havoline 6 Qt Boxes in various weights depending on the day.
Coolant - Pentofrost A2 (I think this is right, whichever one is the Blue one for Honda's)
Trans - Idemitsu H+ in the J-Series Cars, Maxlife in the 2000
PS Fluid - Honda
Filters - Partsmaster 61334 (WIX Built)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back