Best/worst cars for learning stick on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very easy vehicle was brothers Jeep CJ-7 with 4 speed and the 258 I-6. I believe it made full torque around 2000 RPM and recall not needing to press gas to get Jeep moving.

I learned to drive it when I was 14 on the National Forest fire roads behind the house when I would borrow it while he was sleeping(he worked nights).

Originally Posted by ET16
I would say an older car with fewer gears (4 speed or 5 speed).

three on the tree, maybe?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by earlyre
I'd always heard that an old Beetle was the best car to learn in..

they were good- but the bottom hinge isnt ideal

ironically they are worth too much money now......

This was recently fully restored and the owner (our body man at the boat shop) refused 40K at the last show.

I learned on VW Type 181.

It doesn't matter since driving a manual is not difficult. Most Europeans learn on one regardless of vehicle. Choose one that's more convenient. What's important is teaching them properly.

Both of the trucks in my signature are manuals. The Dakota is the 3.9 V6 and the Ranger is the 2.3 I4. Given a choice, I'd rather teach someone on the Dakota. The clutch is heavier than the Ranger, but the heavier clutch plus the first gear being almost granny-like, I think the truck is more forgiving. I've been driving stick off an on since 1981 and I *still* manage to stall the Ranger now and then.

When my daughter graduated from college she bought a civic with manual and taught herself. Of course every time her brothers worth with and she killed it they let her know. After that she had an Accord with manual and up until a year ago was driving in the streets of Boston. The honda manuals are very easy to drive. My oldest son would go out with a buddy in high school and the two of them would drive his friends mother's old Mazda pick up late at night and learned that way.

Best and worst were same for me... 1958 Chevy p/up with 3 on the tree, worn out 6 cylinder and a bed full of gravel. Three years later, in drivers ed, those automatic equipped learner's cars seemed like limousines!

I learned on a 71 Super Beetle. A tractor is a good vehicle to learn clutch feel because you would really have to do something crazy to stall one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back