For Fun: Boutique vs Major

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by SavagePatch
As the title states this is just for fun and hypothetical. Friendly debate is encouraged.

Part A:
In your daily driver diesel would you rather run a Boutique brand oil for 1 year/15k miles or a Major brand oil for 4 months/5k miles for a year?

Part B:
What if sump capacity was 3 gallons and oils were Redline 15w40 or Rotella T6 15w40?

@DNewton you may participate but no Buzz Kill "dino at manufacturer or longer interval" response.
lol.gif

Well if I am not allowed to bring reality and facts into this, I choose option C ... Super expensive boutique oils changed every 3k miles.
I mean, if we're going to ignore tons of data and eschew logic, why not go "all in"?
smirk2.gif

That's SHOCKING-I would have bet the house you would say "run major brand for 1 year 15K miles" (we need sarcasm font on this website)!

In my Semi Truck, I pretty much follow my manual. I use an approved, major brand oil. If I owned a diesel powered pickup or SUV, I'd do the same.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by SavagePatch
As the title states this is just for fun and hypothetical. Friendly debate is encouraged.

Part A:
In your daily driver diesel would you rather run a Boutique brand oil for 1 year/15k miles or a Major brand oil for 4 months/5k miles for a year?

Part B:
What if sump capacity was 3 gallons and oils were Redline 15w40 or Rotella T6 15w40?

@DNewton you may participate but no Buzz Kill "dino at manufacturer or longer interval" response.
lol.gif

Well if I am not allowed to bring reality and facts into this, I choose option C ... Super expensive boutique oils changed every 3k miles.
I mean, if we're going to ignore tons of data and eschew logic, why not go "all in"?
smirk2.gif

That's SHOCKING-I would have bet the house you would say "run major brand for 1 year 15K miles" (we need sarcasm font on this website)!

I would have guessed he'd say choose the oil blindfolded and run it for the factory OCI

(we need sarcasm font on this website)!

Yes we do! Or an easily identified sarcasm emoji.

(we need sarcasm font on this website)!

Yes we do! Or an easily identified sarcasm emoji.

Mr. Greenteeth.
grin2.gif

I have a L5P and LML. The L5P is enjoying boutique free oil changes for another 7 months at the boutique dealership. The 2011 LML has had boutique lubricants its entire 110k mile life so far.
The last 2 being Pet-Can Duron SAE40 for 9,500 miles in 4 months last summer, and right now, 15w40 T4. This December 5w40 Delo 400 boutique will go in at least 3 trucks and one Escape.
Mobil 0w40 boutique Euro will go in 2 company 6L GMCs. They both have Delo 80w140 boutique in the F&R diffs. The 2011 LML truck has 80w140 Pet-Can boutique and the 2018 L5P soon to have.
I also use boutique ATFs from Shell, Havoline, Mobil and Pet-Can.

All those boutique lubricants were bloody expensive except the 15w40 T4, which was on sale so cheap on last year's Black Friday sale at Hinton, Alberta (sans sales tax there) I bought 8 x 5 gal pails.
Boutique filters too, from Wix, Mobil, Delco, Baldwin and Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back