What do you think of this Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good catch on the accidents, I didn't see that. At that price, no way. Toyota long term reliability will be superior to GM IMO. I'd rather just buy a new Tacoma with the resale prices I've seen.

I just built a Colorado (new) and the equivalent Toyota is around the same price. I see no reason to not buy a new Tacoma at those prices.

Older Ford Rangers are very common around here. I've spoken to several owners. The general comment can be summarized as "most reliable vehicle they've ever owned". I agree with 90501x - if you want a used smaller truck, check out those older Ford Rangers.

Originally Posted by alchargo

What's the old saying about opinions and rear ends?

Regardless, it would take a lot to justify the price of the 10 year old Tacoma in question. It's been rear ended twice and hit on the passenger side once. And a recent inspection found evidence of repairs to the front bumper and hood. With more repairs than Joan Rivers, it's not worth almost $18k.

Yeah and they didn't even polish the headlights. This dealer has obvious contempt for their customers if they won't do anything that simple.

Originally Posted by buster
Good catch on the accidents, I didn't see that. At that price, no way. Toyota long term reliability will be superior to GM IMO. I'd rather just buy a new Tacoma with the resale prices I've seen.

I just built a Colorado (new) and the equivalent Toyota is around the same price. I see no reason to not buy a new Tacoma at those prices.

Except the actual transaction prices of a Colorado should be 5-7k below sticker. Toyota rarely moves much at all off sticker on a Tacoma. Is it still worth it to pay more for the Toyota? Possibly, depending on how much you drive.

That is ridiculous money for a tacoma that old. Our local toyota dealer had a few of those brand new in the mid 20s just last month.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
That is ridiculous money for a tacoma that old. Our local toyota dealer had a few of those brand new in the mid 20s just last month.

There is no way you had new 4x4 4.0L Tacomas in the mid 20's. But yes it is ridiculous.

How do you think the new 3.5L V6 engines are going to hold up compared to the 4.0L?

A lot of people prefer the 4.0L w/5Speed AT to the new 3.5L w/6Speed AT electronically controlled. It has better torque, with maybe a one or two MPG loss.

However, I see two problems here that are deal breakers. First 2009 was a bad year for Tacomas. Second, per CarFax, there is no consistent documentation of regular oil changes.

I see where you are going, buster. With the collision, the price is not as bad.

I would keep looking. Once you find the right truck, you will like the way it is so boringly reliable and easy to maintain. You can climb underneath to change fluids, no jack stands required. ATF is a little tricky, as the temperature must be just right. Get a scan gauge. Motor oil, coolant and rear axle fluid are pieces of cake.

That's all I got. 900k total miles driven, two Tacoma 4 cylinder 2TR FEs. The durability is real. A well maintained Taco up to 100k miles at a decent price ought to be on your list. I remember you having a Subaru with some off roading involved, so the 4.0L would be a great choice for your needs IMV.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by 02SE
[Linked Image]

I really like the ghetto vibe of this truck. What a great paint job! It looks almost as though it's rusted everywhere. How do they do that?

Has to be a wrap, notice the new tires and rims.

On the road I would expect at least $5K difference. Toyota knows they don't need your money. GM knows they do. I'm a Toyota fan but I owned a 2004 Colorado for 8 years because they were giving them away. The $600 I had to spend to repair a wheel hub assembly on the Chevy was MUCH less than the difference I saved over buying a new Tacoma.

I am Toyota's and Apple's biggest fan, but I no longer buy their products. They've simply priced themselves out of my market...especially since Toyota stopped offering manual transmissions in most of their low end models.

Originally Posted by bobbobtar
Has to be a wrap, notice the new tires and rims.

It is. Not sure why this is a thing....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
A lot of people prefer the 4.0L w/5Speed AT to the new 3.5L w/6Speed AT electronically controlled. It has better torque, with maybe a one or two MPG loss.

However, I see two problems here that are deal breakers. First 2009 was a bad year for Tacomas. Second, per CarFax, there is no consistent documentation of regular oil changes.

I see where you are going, buster. With the collision, the price is not as bad.

I would keep looking. Once you find the right truck, you will like the way it is so boringly reliable and easy to maintain. You can climb underneath to change fluids, no jack stands required. ATF is a little tricky, as the temperature must be just right. Get a scan gauge. Motor oil, coolant and rear axle fluid are pieces of cake.

That's all I got. 900k total miles driven, two Tacoma 4 cylinder 2TR FEs. The durability is real. A well maintained Taco up to 100k miles at a decent price ought to be on your list. I remember you having a Subaru with some off roading involved, so the 4.0L would be a great choice for your needs IMV.

Thanks DR. I'm considering new right now. I can get a new TRD-Offroad for $35k. I'm hoping the newer Tacomas are just as reliable as years past. I'd consider a 4.0L with 100k if the price was reasonable but the prices I've seen approach new.

Buster- our dealer had the smaller engine, 2.4? Or 2.7? I had it as a loaner for a day while our van was in the shop. It was nice to sit in but the engine was quite weak.

Tundra

This isn't bad.

For $4k more you can buy a nice Tacoma new. For the same price you can buy a tacoma SR trim new, from the same dealer, and that's before any haggling.

My FIL got a tundra in some sort of business deal, with a rotted frame and brake lines. Yuck. Tacoma's may be prone to that as well.

The Tacoma originally linked got a $16-20k discount compared to the two cheapest new Tacomas on their site, for a decade plus 73k miles. That's a 50% discount for roughly 50% reduction of life. Doesn't seem like a deal there...

Link

As much as I'd like to buy used, Toyota makes it difficult. Resale values are so high.

I just don't understand why they get such terrible mpg. Otherwise, nothing not to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back