OXI AST D7414 63.62???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a critical Lab result on a 6K oil change with a name brand synthetic. It says the OXI is 63.62? Engine only has less than 100K on it.

Can you shed some insight? My wife drives it about 10 miles one way to work and 10 miles back home.

Do I need to shorten my OCI?

The oil is showing signs of breakdown and that's not good.. what type, brand, grade of oil is it? The UOA??

A little info helps...

Last edited:
I really don't want to say what brand. I don't want to deal with the backlash. In my OP I said this was a brand name synthetic that had been in 6K. The Lab report said this high number could indicate sludge is forming or it may be due to synthetic oil as they sometimes have higher oxidation values.

I have records of this oil being changed every 5k before I purchased it. Sometimes it would go one year before being changed.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I really don't want to say what brand. I don't want to deal with the backlash. In my OP I said this was a brand name synthetic that had been in 6K. The Lab report said this high number could indicate sludge is forming or it may be due to synthetic oil as they sometimes have higher oxidation values.

I have records of this oil being changed every 5k before I purchased it. Sometimes it would go one year before being changed.

Ok so don't post/share it. What is the vehicle??

Fact remains that that oil is showing signs or has already broken down (oxidative and thermal stability). What exactly is your question?..do you wanna know is oil degradation bad, yes it is. It can lead to sludge, varnish, excessive-undo wear etc..

Google the ASTM to learn more..

Last edited:
My question is should I reduce OCI based on how my wife drives the car? I know this is a quality oil so either I can use another brand or shorten the OCI, correct?

Another question is "What would cause this breakdown in 6K?"

My question is should I reduce OCI based on how my wife drives the car? I know this is a quality oil so either I can use another brand or shorten the OCI, correct?

Well let's see, as I see it you have 3 options... disregard the UOA and keep on trucking or shorter up the drain interval or change up your oil. As for your "why" question... I got nothing for ya. You haven't shared enough (vehicle age, make, oil grade, type, is it 10 miles on the interstate or stop/g??? etc...the devil's in the details as they say) of this mystery to make a (somewhat) educated guess... Good luck.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by PimTac

This is mysterious.

My answer, YES

...‚...‚...‚

Last edited:

I would try a different brand oil .and shorten up your oci. It appears you're driving Toyota cars/sub and using Schaeffer oil, based on your info. Might want to give them a call and see what they think the issue is.

I would try a different brand oil .and shorten up your oci. It appears you're driving Toyota cars/sub and using Schaeffer oil, based on your info. Might want to give them a call and see what they think the issue is.

Originally Posted by hemitruck

It isn't Schaeffer oil
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by flinter
It will probably be closer to 5,800 when its changed this week with QSUD 5W-20.

Good. Change it. QSUD is great oil for its price. smile

It's a great price and what I used in my last oil change. I'm using Wix XP for 2 OCI's. 3K on oil x 2 = 6K on the filter.
This is his post from June

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862

It isn't Schaeffer oil as he stated that he has records of previous owner doing 5k or once a year. Since he doesn't want bashing I would assume it was changed at Jiffy lube i.e. Pennzoil and Everytime someone says bad things about the brand they are slammed.

It's not just the oil, we know virtually nothing about the car (engine type), driving habits (does it idle a lot?), what else does the UOA show - low TBN?, Fuel dilution?, High insolubles?, Wear metals??, Are the AW and detergents depleted?? I find it hard to believe it's the oil..a full syn should be able to do a 6k oci blindfolded especially when you can get 4~5k oci's out of a quality dino these days.

Something is wrong with either the car, where it's oil was changed at (are ya certain it's a full syn, did a qwik lube gip ya?) or the driving habits....

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by tiger862

It isn't Schaeffer oil as he stated that he has records of previous owner doing 5k or once a year. Since he doesn't want bashing I would assume it was changed at Jiffy lube i.e. Pennzoil and Everytime someone says bad things about the brand they are slammed.

It's not just the oil, we know virtually nothing about the car (engine type), driving habits (does it idle a lot?), what else does the UOA show - low TBN?, Fuel dilution?, High insolubles?, Wear metals??, Are the AW and detergents depleted?? I find it hard to believe it's the oil..a full syn should be able to do a 6k oci blindfolded especially when you can get 4~5k oci's out of a quality dino these days.

Something is wrong with either the car, where it's oil was changed at (are ya certain it's a full syn, did a qwik lube gip ya?) or the driving habits....

It was edited with his post of him using QUSD

You guys are something else and I mean that in a nice way.

Per the analysis, everything else was fine. Only this oxidation level was out of line.

The car is driven to work and home 10 miles each way 5 days a week. The only thing weird was that it sat for at least one month (May have been 6 weeks) during this OCI.

The only oils I've used lately are either amsoil or Schaffer's.
I personally change all my oil so in this OCI, I know it was changed with a high quality oil.

Well we all know even quality oil can struggle in the correct condition. I could never find an oil I was happy with during last place I lived. Didn't help I only drove between 2-5 miles a day for 13 years either. Now that moved it is easier hopefully on oil. I also have a different vehicle but still gun-shy on longer OCI.

You guys are something else and I mean that in a nice way.

Per the analysis, everything else was fine. Only this oxidation level was out of line.

The car is driven to work and home 10 miles each way 5 days a week. The only thing weird was that it sat for at least one month (May have been 6 weeks) during this OCI.

The only oils I've used lately are either amsoil or Schaffer's.
I personally change all my oil so in this OCI, I know it was changed with a high quality oil.

Sherlock Holmes says, eliminate all the obvious things and whatever you have left, however improbable, must be considered. (something like that)

If you firmly believe that it's not the oil (the UOA indicated), and I personally would agree with that, than it has to be some combo of the car, filter and/or driving habits. And if you believe the driving habits aren't to blame, well then we're left with the car and or a defective filter, that allowed contaminants to pass unfiltered. If however the particle counts/insolubles are within tolerance then that would indicate good filtration (both air and oil filter) and then we're left with the...(see where we're going with this?)

That's it.. I'm at a loss for what else could cause that oil to degrade like that in 6k miles. Did your UOA check fuel/moisture% and TBN?? Not all do..why not post the UOA; help us help you... what about insolubles or particle count.. (high values) could point you towards an oil filtration issue. Not all UOA's check particle count.

(the oil sitting for a month is a non starter; letting the engine sit for a month without being ran isn't any more severe than if it were actually driven during that time)

Last edited:
SOLVED!!!!!!!!

You ain't gonna (well you probably will) believe this. I just got a call back from Schaeffers and all is well. Now listen to me, I may not have the exact wording but I understood enough to know everything is fine. Here's the scoop.

It is very important that the oil analyzers know what oil you are sampling. I was told that Mobil and Amsoil use the same base oils (Di ester????) and Schaeffers uses a different base oil. Oxidation is measured by some spectro something or other where you read it off a graph. IF, the person doing the analysis has the machine set for
Schaeffers as it was for my sample and the sample was Amsoil, it would read an extremely hight oxidation level.

She said I either had to have left a lot of another brand of oil i(Amsoil or Mobil) in the crankcase or the oil contained no Schaeffers oil. That is what she said.

She told me there was absolutely nothing to worry about. The machine was set to read Schaeffers and it was actually reading Amsoil. NOTE, there was nothing wrong with the oil.

Moral of the story, if you want accurate info from samples you send to Schaeffers, make sure they know what oil you are sending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back