Single 6x9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an extra, single 6x9 speaker. Recently picked up some great condition used JBL power series something something 6x8s and the seller had a single 6x9 he threw in since it had no match. Very nice speakers and the 6x8s sound very nice in my F150 but I hate to scrap a perfectly good speaker just because I don't have a pair to run. Is there any good way to run a 6x9 solo? Don't really need it but it would be nice to throw it in a speaker box and have a mono setup if I ever needed it... Everything I've read makes this sound like far more effort and cost than it would be worth, though.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
Pop it in a box and run it in your garage. Great way to listen to podcasts and such.

They have good mid range for something like this …

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Back in the day the vehicles that had am radios sometimes had one speaker in the middle of the dash. So there is that....

And if you had one of those, a second speaker in the rear package shelf with a front/rear fader control was the hot setup. My uncle rigged that up in Grandma's 64 Impala for cruising nights. My uncle, not Grandma.

Originally Posted by buck91
So I have an extra, single 6x9 speaker. Recently picked up some great condition used JBL power series something something 6x8s and the seller had a single 6x9 he threw in since it had no match. Very nice speakers and the 6x8s sound very nice in my F150 but I hate to scrap a perfectly good speaker just because I don't have a pair to ru. Is there any good way to run a 6x9 solo? Don't reallyneed it but it would be nice to throw it in a speaker box and have a mono setup if I ever needed it... Everything I've read makes this sound like far more effort and cost than it would be worth, though.

It won't sound any better than a $5 tweeter unless it's either mounted in a panel or in a speaker box. So you'll need to build or buy a box for it most likely. Boxes aren't normally sold except for in pairs BTW. That leaves building a box. $4 will buy a 2'x4' board of OSB from THD, and that's plenty. Seal it with some caulk and you're set for the mount.

Now you need power. How will it get the sound you want it t play? Home stereo receivers have multiple channels usually, tap one of the front channels to power this speaker in parallel.

Blammo! Solution problemed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back