How Many of You Use High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Chevy 1500 developed a small leak at the rear main seal at about 190,000 miles. I switched from VWB 5w30 to Valvoline Maxlife hm 10w30. The leak stopped within the first run on the Maxlife hm and is still dry at 207,000 miles. I just ordered a 5 qt jug from Amazon prime for $16.97 shipped.

I use high mileage oil in any mileage vehicle. I swap back and forth as well.

I used some Castrol HM in my F150 that uses a qt every 1,500 miles, and it still used a qt every 1,500 miles. Same oil in my BIL F150 also showed no consumption changes (his is 1 qt every 4000 miles).
I used Maxlife (their recycled stuff in the green bottle) in several vehicles with less than 50,000 miles for a few changes, then went back to "regular" oil and had no issues.

I have a few jugs of Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 that will be going into a Kia Soul @ 30,000 miles (and for 3 changes after that). May or may not stick with HM oil after that (I have several jugs of PPHM 10w-30 as well).

My 09 Corolla had a slight oil leak (a seep? It took a long time before it made a noticeable spot of oil on the engine) and switching to HM oils stopped it. Maxlife and PPHM mostly.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
I run M1 HM 10w-30 because it's hths 3.5 and a3/b3 rated. Thicker helps with leaks, etc

My choice and criteria, too.

And as to this:

What criteria do you use in making the switch? Is it merely miles on the car or how old the car is?

I make the switch when I get the car - 100k miles, 25k miles. I don't wait until I get cancer to stop smoking, I start by doing the right things from the start. Why wait for seals to fail to add an appropriate conditioner?

Originally Posted by Gebo
What criteria do you use in making the switch? Is it merely miles on the car or how old the car is?

I did it in the old F-150 before the rebuild when it was leaking and had low oil pressure. I'd run 15w-40 in the summer, and in our winters, which are long and cold enough, I ran MaxLife 5w-30. It did the job of keeping the leaks to a minimum (no top off oil over the OCI) and the oil pressure was close enough, over an ILSAC 5w-30. MaxLife wasn't ILSAC rated at the time. I tried Mobil 2000 5w-30 up here, another high mileage option, ILSAC rated, though, and it didn't do as well for my situation.

I use it because I got PPHM for $6 a jug and bought all they had. It did stop a rear valve cover leak on an 04 Taurus which saved me a half a Saturday. Whenever I've tried it in my 09 Nissan to slow consumption it didn't do squat. In fact mobil1 HM went through that engine like spicy food through my grandad.

For those that are a proponent of using HM oil as a preventative measure perhaps you should start using it from the first oil change! That seems to be your theory.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
I run M1 HM 10w-30 because it's hths 3.5 and a3/b3 rated. Thicker helps with leaks, etc

I decided to try this oil after I saw that it was SN+...no issues but I'm not sure if I will run it again, definitely would not be in winter as I ski and park my car outside overnight in some frigid temps and will stick to 0/5WXX for that.

Ironically enough, this OCI is the first time I have noticed any signs of oil consumption...a very small amount, to be sure, less than 1/4" on the dipstick after 4500 miles. Not worried about it, it's just kind of funny for it to happen the first time I use HM oil.

I hope it's ok in new vehicles? I just changed the wifes 2018 rogue and used valvoline synthetic w/maxlife 0-20 that I picked up for $1.90 a quart. I'd hate to give those [censored] at Nissan a reason to deny warranty coverage.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I hope it's ok in new vehicles? I just changed the wifes 2018 rogue and used valvoline synthetic w/maxlife 0-20 that I picked up for $1.90 a quart. I'd hate to give those [censored] at Nissan a reason to deny warranty coverage.

What specification or approval does the owner's manual give you for the vehicle? SN? Does the oil carry that specification? If it does then it is appropriate and adequate for warranty purposes. No need to call them names or guess about coverage.

I use Castrol HM in my 98 K3500 because of a small front seal leak. It keeps it from dripping on the ground. I may go with a different brand since Castrol is kind of noisy in this engine.

Used it in my Mustang. Within 1,000 miles, my rear main seal leak was gone.

Use it in my truck because it takes the same 5w-20 the stang does, and I always end up with some left over. Probably no benefit there, as it doesn't leak.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Ford Fusion (Company vehicle) that gets serviced at the Goodyear oil change place outside my neighborhood. Since the car calls for a semi-synthetic (according to the "fleet" manual) Goodyears puts in Valvoline HM semi-synthetic. Started that at 5K, been using it every 5K. Have 23K on the odometer. Car runs fine.

Originally Posted by Spector
For those that are a proponent of using HM oil as a preventative measure perhaps you should start using it from the first oil change! That seems to be your theory.

Same reason we don't give Centrum Silver to infants....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back