Nissan Corp falling off a cliff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Japanese management must leave the alliance with Renault and go their own way, it is the only way that the company can re-establish
themselves. Priority number one they need to look at their best years late 70s through the early 90s and reinvent themselves based on those
principles. It can work but it will be a long hard trek.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
The Japanese management must leave the alliance with Renault and go their own way, it is the only way that the company can re-establish
themselves. Priority number one they need to look at their best years late 70s through the early 90s and reinvent themselves based on those

Except Nissan has lost their way - Toyota has been getting bigger with their links to Mazda/Suzuki/Subaru, is in cahoots with tech(they along with SoftBank have invested money into Uber and Getaround) and Akio Toyoda has been working on making the family company a little less stolid. Honda has been getting their mojo back and they might get back into into F1 which should help them on a marketing basis as well as give the engineers some reason to exist.

Nissan has become the Japanese equivalent of Chrysler before Fiat jumped in - old product line and just banking on the name. Although FCA also has a elderly product line despite the new Jeep/Ram lineup.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by AC1DD

Except Nissan has lost their way - Toyota has been getting bigger with their links to Mazda/Suzuki/Subaru, is in cahoots with tech(they along with SoftBank have invested money into Uber and Getaround) and Akio Toyoda has been working on making the family company a little less stolid. Honda has been getting their mojo back and they might get back into into F1 which should help them on a marketing basis as well as give the engineers some reason to exist.

Nissan has become the Japanese equivalent of Chrysler before Fiat jumped in - old product line and just banking on the name. Although FCA also has a elderly product line despite the new Jeep/Ram lineup.

This is spot on. The future is not just automobiles, but mobility. Toyota is the global leader in this regard.

Honda has a solid business in power equipment to add to their foundation. They also are into aerospace as is Mitsubishi who is in it in a big way. Robotics, UAVs, and some other sectors round out their portfolios.

I'm guessing that Nissan leadership is due for a change here soon.

I knew my Titan was ugly when I bought it. Attractiveness is not a buying consideration for a 4x4 truck to me. I just want one that works. So far I'm happy in that regard.

Originally Posted by PimTac

They also are into aerospace as is Mitsubishi who is in it in a big way. Robotics, UAVs, and some other sectors round out their portfolios.

I forgot about aerospace as well - Toyota is providing Mitsu some help with Japan's competitor to the E-Jet/CRJ series(athough I've read Mitsubishi has taken over the marketing and assembly for the CRJ planes from Bombardier), and Subaru is a major Boeing supplier. The HondaJet, even though still out of the reach of the hoi polloi, has helped bring jets outside of the Gulfstream/Learjet domain for private planes. Honda also had a head start on humanoid robotics, although Boston Dynamics has been ahead of the game for a good bit.

Some of those humanoids are very interesting. I've watched the Japanese ones be able to look at a assembly and correctly choose the tool for that job. It's both fascinating and a bit eerie combined.

The Tokyo 2020 Olympics will showcase the latest robotic technology and mobility they have developed. Toyota and others are taking advantage of the moment to utilize their automated transport vehicles and show the world what is available now.

What I've learnt during years frequenting this board and last with these topic.
Nissans are junk, BMW, Audi and MB are high maintenance garbage, French cars are utter trash, British cars are joke, Ford ( except the Crown Victoria - they are brilliant) , GM are toss away crap and FCA are complete junk. Mitsubishi? What are those 3

Honda is average.

Toyota and Lexus are simply brilliant. 25 years old Camry is miles better than a new Ghibli or a 5 series.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Well I guess the Titan's not that pretty. May get the axe.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-cut-least-10-global-lineup-spring-2022

I don't think I've ever seen the Titan marketed. A shame too, because those V8s, ATs and drivetrains in general have been really good.

** Totally off topic, but as I was typing this, my FIL was doing his normal 38pt turn in his 2017 Frontier crew cab turning it around in my driveway because of the turning radii on that beast. LOL.

Nissan is paying the price for taking its eyes off the ball, sad my Vq 6's and VQ 56 DE (Titan) have been stellar.

Mercedes is tanking as well.

BMW's CEO resigned and their auto sector is losing money.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

I don't think I've ever seen the Titan marketed. A shame too, because those V8s, ATs and drivetrains in general have been really good.

And Cummins might be thinking why did they decide to market their 5L ISV diesel V8 with Nissan right about now.

Toyota should have picked it up for the Tundra/Sequoia and the Lexus GX/LX(and maybe finally have strong competition to the diesel-powered Germans). Yes, I know Toyota owns Hino, but the smallest engine they offer is a common rail turbo I4 used in their cab-over trucks imported from Japan that would fit into the engine bay of a Tundra that meets EPA/CARB regulations. Toyota wouldn't spend the money to get their 1VD-FTV diesel V8 offered in Japan and Australia CARB-certified(there is some commonality between Euro 5/6 and EPA 2007/2010 diesel engine regulations I think).

The drivetrains in the Titan seem to have stood the test of time.

Last edited:
Who else wanted the Cummins ISV? I don't see where Cummins had much choice other than keeping in shelved.

The Chrysler/Cummins relationship on the ISB is special & recreating it would be tough. Ford/Navistar was close 'til the 6.0L/6.4L debacle happened. And the GM/Isuzu never had any surrounding mystique.....Though the Duramax has matured into a good engine & save for the LB7 injector issues, LLY cooling issues, & LML pump issues, The base architecture is as sound as any.

Of coarse the same could be said about the Ford 6.0L.....When fixed/updated/modified correctly.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That Chevy is wretched! The Nissan Titan Midnight is probably my favorite truck.

They need to hire back this stylist

F2DE7767-AB9F-4ED3-B668-619AAB3273CF.jpeg

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That Chevy is wretched! The Nissan Titan Midnight is probably my favorite truck.

They need to hire back this stylist

I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Nissan is paying the price for taking its eyes off the ball, sad my Vq 6's and VQ 56 DE (Titan) have been stellar.

UD

It is not loosing money. It did not profit as much as they wanted.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Who else wanted the Cummins ISV? I don't see where Cummins had much choice other than keeping in shelved.

It sounded like an albatross for Cummins. Maybe FCA could have picked it up for the Ram 1500 but that would cannibalize Ram 2500 CTD sales as well. I can see the ISV being speced by UPS for their trucks which I think are built on a Workhorse or Morgan Olson platform, but UPS has been using GM powertrains lately. I've seen a Cummins ISB 4-cylinder peek out from a UPS truck a few times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

It is not loosing money. It did not profit as much as they wanted.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bmws-auto-business-posts-loss-following-antitrust-charge-11557216264

Not according to WSJ - maybe things are better since May?

UD

Originally Posted by macarose
Take a look at how reliable Nissan models have been since 2002.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Nissan.html

Their decline has been unavoidable. Nissan married the CVT technology to millions of their cars without first refining it. Then they went on an extreme cost cutting spree to remain competitive. When vehicles can't endure once they hit six-digits on their odometer you begin to get a bad reputation in the marketplace.

Still above Ford and Chrysler.

Originally Posted by chrisri
What I've learnt during years frequenting this board and last with these topic.
Nissans are junk, BMW, Audi and MB are high maintenance garbage, French cars are utter trash, British cars are joke, Ford ( except the Crown Victoria - they are brilliant) , GM are toss away crap and FCA are complete junk. Mitsubishi? What are those 3

Honda is average.

Toyota and Lexus are simply brilliant. 25 years old Camry is miles better than a new Ghibli or a 5 series.

+1, pretty well sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back