Are Douglas tires any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Linoleum Falcon needs some new shoes. Walmart has Douglas brand tires in the size my car needs for $75 a piece and that price is attractive to me as a minimum-wage, barely-gettin'-by 17 year old. I did some research and gathered that they're rebranded Goodyears? Is this correct?

I don't know about being rebranded Goodyears (maybe, may not, and some may say that being related to Goodyear isn't a good thing). However, I have a set of Douglas tires on my 2005 Impala and they have been a good tire over the last 3 1/2 years. i've only got about 15k miles on them, but they're wearing well, handle well in rain, and are pretty quiet.

yes they are made by goodyear but to me they look more like a kelly knockoff, kelly is also goodyear made.

a friend of mine has put douglas tires on the last 3 cheap cars he has owned and they run out well and wear decent.

If i have to put tires on my work commuter anytime soon it will probably be douglas as well.

From what I have read others say here on BITOG, I think they are pretty good. I would guess not the top of the line but a good serviceable tire for the money. I know that I would use them on a non high performance car.

Those have been replaced by identically priced Indonesian tires in Walmart here. No clue which is better.

I put them on my old Cavalier two years ago, they did fine and the car went to the scrap heap with them still on it. Wife has had them on her Versa for the last 15k miles and has no complaints, except that they clearly were not balanced properly when installed, and she had to go back as soon as she got on the freeway.

Last edited:
For the money they are a GREAT tire. I put a set on the front of my 08 Impala. Walmart was supposed to put them on the back, I had a newer Good Year Integrity tires on the front, but they rotated them and put the new Douglas on the front and I noticed a nice difference. The Douglas tire had a firmer sidewall and a little more tread width. It made the car handle better. I drove about 12k on those tires.

Having worked at a Walmart TLE years ago, stay far away. Can't tell you how many defects we'd constantly see with them. Just a trash tire. If I just wanted cheap tires, Primewell is a massive upgrade, and I hate those as well.

I've had no problem with the current US made Douglas tires sold through WM. I can't speak for how they were years ago, Problem is, if you're talking $75/ea, once you add installation, taxes and fees per tire on top of that, are they still a good deal? When I bought them for my 2016 Subaru Forester a couple years ago, they were just over $50/ea (then add everything else). Any other US made tire, or name brand was over twice the price. Yes, they will only last 36K miles or so, but that's what you are paying for.

Douglas is a mediocre tire. They are lighter weight, and easier to balance than other tires, but the performance is lower too. I'd do it if they are really cheap and you have to. We saw a lot of them not making the low mileage warranty of i believe 40 or 45k at the time.

If you drive like a grandma they are just fine.

If I was a 17 year old barely getting by or a 57 year old barely getting by, I'd put those tires on my vehicle no problem. Even doing better than barely getting by...

My son has similar tires on his Corolla. I don't worry about him.

Douglas tires are definitely not the worst cheap tires out there. In fact, they're one of the better options at that price point
smile.gif

If low price without a rebate is the only consideration, Douglas tires are easily the best.

They are made by Goodyear, and mostly US-made. Also, Walmart is the only company that Goodyear makes private label tires for.

My son has bought them several times and got 30k from them … he's an aggressive driver …

Sounds like there's nothing wrong with the Douglas tires but just as a 2nd option, do you have Discount Tire stores around ? I see you're in Ohio so you might.

I have a set on our 99 Grand Marquis we keep as a spare car. They are round, hold air and not scary on the roads.

Probably not good for an autocross, but then neither is the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back