Is Honda fluid really the only fluid to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2009 Honda Fit with 120,500 miles on it. I really want this car to last a long time, so I'm looking for the most longevity from my fluids and filters. I'm preparing to do a complete fluid change (and coolant flush), but am a bit hung up on what to get. Folks say, "Only get Honda brand coolant and oil!". I know Honda doesn't manufacture these fluids, but maybe they found the best fluids for these cars?

I'm tempted to just get Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20, PurolatorONE oil filter, some Valvoline 50/50 coolant, and something other than Honda's DW-1 ATF. I've read that the Honda filters are made by Fram, and the oil is just ConocoPhilips (aka Motorcraft). I like Conoco, but I'd rather not pay a premium for it, and I can't find their Philips 66 oil here in Seattle.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
For oil, no drama...whatever approvals/specs/weight they call for in the book with a high-quality filter (I'd just a Honda one). For the other fluids, for whatever reason, I'm using all Honda, especially tranny.

Out of curiosity, if Honda Synthetic Bottled Oil and PUP,QSUD are the same price which would you choose?

I have been using non-Honda fluids in my 2012 Odyssey for about 5 years and no problems. The oil can be any 0w20 according to the owners manual (I use whatever synthetic is on sale at the time). For the other fluids, I stay with name brand fluids recommended for Hondas, but not necessarily Honda brand (I currently use Pennzoil Platinum LV ATF, but Maxlife, Castrol, etc. would work just fine).

Congrats on the Fit! And Welcome!!!

Does the car leak or burn any oil?

Was the transmission fluid ever changed? I always have used oem trans fluid in my vehicles so I couldn't recommend one. I think a drain and fill of oem or any equivalent aftermarket fluid you choose would be fine.

As far as oil goes, use whatever you like. No real reason for using Honda oil. You can use whichever meets your cars specs. PUP is a great choice and one that I would use if I owned a Honda.

I bought a 2009 Honda Fit for my daughter, which she has driven for the last three years. It had 110,000 miles when we got it and it now has 134,000 miles. I got the maintenance records with the purchase and it has lived on 5W-30, 5W-20 and 0W-20 over its lifetime of various oil brands (Kendall, Pennzoil, Honda and Mobil 1). Various oil filters as well (cheap job shop, Fram Ultra and Mobil 1). Auto transmission fluid was also a mix of Honda and aftermarket (changed by a Goodyear shop).

The car still runs great and doesn't consume a drop of oil. Transmission shifts are crisp and clean. When I drive it, I rev the [censored] out of it and it runs like a sewing machine.

Engine oil and filter are no problem. ATF you can supposedly get away with Valvoline Maxlife, and I've run Mobil 1 ATF in a previous Honda with no ill effects. Curiously, Mobil 1 ATF used to say it met Honda ATF-Z1 and it was quietly deleted from their application list. Brake fluid is just DOT 3. Power steering fluid and coolant are a little different though, I'd stick to Honda for those. Maybe things aren't the way they used to be, but I recall silicate-free coolant is a requirement and I don't know if the garden variety coolant meets that requirement. I thought the last time I bought a gallon of Honda coolant it wasn't outrageously priced compared to premixed stuff at Autozone (Honda coolant is pre-mixed).

PureONE filter I just say no to.

Pretty much any quality name brand oil is fine.

My Honda which has a reputation for trans problems and head gasket issues is fine at nearly 200.000 with Honda coolant and trans fluid. Your car your call... I know what I would do. (PS fluid too).

I used Maxlife in our 08 CRVs transmission with no issues. Oil pretty much any 5W20 synthetic. Now that we have a 19 Pilot the transmission is that uses the same DW1 spec transmission oil so either I'll use Maxlife or Amsoil. The only thing I'll use is the Honda diff fluid.

Thanks, all.

I'll go ahead and grab Honda's coolant. It's $25 on Amazon, but I'll see if my local dealership has it, because I think it's normally $15. I'll also pick up the DW-1 ATF.

I don't know exactly when/what fluids were changed. I received the full Carfax from the previous owners, and it was serviced quite regularly from two different Honda dealerships. They also had a multi-point inspection done, which supposedly checked the fluids, suspension, and valve timing, among other things.

But I've already had to replace the spark plugs (within first week of ownership, just a couple weeks ago, I noticed fuel smell), as there was blow-by on three of four spark plugs. Also, there's a noise from the Passenger Front that I believe is a sway bar link, but haven't jacked it up, as I now live in an apartment in the city (no storage, so I got rid of most of my larger tools). The windshield washer doesn't work (I'd think that'd be a point in the inspection). The coolant is just slightly above the MIN line - I wiped the hose off on a towel and the liquid appeared to be clear without any color. Brake fluid is at MAX, but it's brownish. I don't know what color it normally should be. I don't know that the ATF was ever changed, much less the filter. Oil appears amber in color and is maintaining its level. No leaks at all anywhere so far.

All that said, I don't think I trust the work that was done, if the multi-point inspection is anything to go off of.

I picked up the Haynes manual, and it all seems easy enough. ~$250 worth of fluids, filters, and tools (such as a brake fluid bleeder pump), and a trip to my buddy's place about 30 minutes away. Should be able to get it all done in a weekend or two.

Honda suggests 5W-20, but was considering 0W-20.

Last edited:
I put 60K miles on a 2012 Honda Fit in about 2 yrs.

Oil- Mobil 1 0w30 AFE Filter- Fram XG7317
Trans- Maxlife ATF

Front Brakes and Rotors were my weak points, as well as 2 calipers. They are undersized.

Make sure nobody has broken the clips to the air filter.. it will allow dust in

If the dealer price on the coolant is not outrageous I would get it there. At least you know exactly what's in the jug. Amazon and EBay have their risks.

Hondas aren't at all picky about oil and filter. My SOP for one is OEM or a PH/TG7317 filter, and any good D1-approved oil. I happen to like SOPUS oils in them.

I've used MaxLife and Castrol IMV in the last two I've worked on, although from a VOA MolaKule posted here, I have reason to stick with DW-1 for the next one I wrench on.

It is almost certainly back specced to 0/20.

Nothing wrong with Honda filters be it A01, A02 or 003, plenty of other good choices too (just cruise the filter forum, I've cut most of them open.)

More than likely windshield washer is the pump, check the fuses, hoses and check valves but some aftermarket fluid is known to kill the pumps.

Brake fluid is typically clear amber color and goes brown with time and moisture. Honda coolant is blue and DW1 is red of course.

Also if you ask nicely the Honda dealers may be able to give you a service history without the prior owners personal info...

Last edited:
I typically use OEM fluids/parts until I stop caring about the car. Maybe a door ding that breaks my heart or some other subjective matter that snaps me into not caring. But seriously, just use whatever MATCHES the type needed. Coolant and trans fluid tend to be the fussiest, IMO. Brake and oil, not so much. But if you're nervous, call the dealer or price out online for OEM fluids. If you're doing the work yourself the price difference won't be that much, in the whole scheme of your life. And then you'll sleep at night. But don't just buy any coolant, brake fluid, etc. Make sure the OAT PHOAT silicates whatever matches what Honda requires. And brake fluid matches the DOT and such. I'm not sure what to look for in auto trans fluid for a Honda but I'm sure it has some letters and numbers you want to match. Like an 05 Subaru likes Merc 3 or something. I wrote it down.

Best of luck!

the car has already "lasted a long time"

anyway...

For coolant, the "best" would be either Honda coolant or any aftermarket "Asian Blue" coolant. I have some kind of generic green coolant in my Odyssey and it's fine though.

For oil, again whatever.

Power steering fluid, I have heard you should stick with Honda. Not sure if it's true, but why risk it.

Transmission, I'm all for the Maxlife, get it cheap at Walmart and change it often. If they didn't know how to build a good transmission, what makes you think they know how to make a great fluid?

No, you dont have to use anything from Honda as long as the fluid you do use is properly rated.

I think the engine oil is simply SN rated just use the right viscosity.

I would say when it comes to trans and other fluids Its pretty easy to buy the honda fluids and they work well.

Bernardi auto parts does a good job of assembling the right fluids per model and offering most at reasonable discounts.

Honda trans and AWD diffs can be finicky - if you move away from honda do you homework carefully.

Coolant = Zerex Asian Blue (Honda specific) at Wally World for less than 15$/gallon.

Automatic transmission = Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle ATF.
Much closer to the specs and performance characteristics of OEM Honda DW-1 as opposed to something like Valvoline Max Life.
The desire should be to get a fluid that provides shift performance and wear performance as close to stock as possible for the longest life of the transmission.

fyi, Prestone cor-guard antifreeze says on the jug that it can be used for any car, all makes and models, foreign , etc. guaranteed and it will not void the warranty ... Says the same on their web site.
specifically if you are in N. America (has to do with water) , it's all ok.
I researched this since I had s few gallons in the garage and also couple of dealers told me it's ok to use and have been using it on Japanese cars (old & new) for many years! I

You can search the coolant site on here but may get a headache reading all ... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back