Holy filter failure Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...

Gotta hand it to the fella, it takes some dedication to run a filter to that point...on conventional no less....¨

(fwiw, sludge might be the only thing keeping him going at this point ...‚)

Last edited:
I'm with others, first thought after looking at pics, poor maintenance practice. Filter appearance here not the cause of any issue, but a symptom or result of that practice. And, ecotec cartridges of many brands even with regular maintenance often look squished and/or twisted post use. This one far beyond that though.

Definitely nasty, but it's hard to blame the oil or filter at this point.

I'm sure the 7-8k was on the generous side of a wild guess too.

Originally Posted by Danno

As per my post, my filter went 1 OCI, at 3,000 mile change with PP 5W-30 on a healthy engine, and it looked the same as the OPs filter.
Can't say you have a reasonable conclusion on a sample of one.

As for the value of consensus, look at the Bay of Pigs invasion as an example of consensus.

So you had that amount of sludge at a 3k interval?

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Think I would send him to the auto parts store for a few Hengst made AC Delco filters, a case of PYB, a socket for his oil filter cap, and teach him how to do it himself. So I don't get blamed when it clogs the oil pump pickup strainer & throws a rod...

He knows how but lacks the space to do it, he lives in a student apartment I believe. He's a good guy and wouldn't come after me if the car failed, this isn't the only problem with it! I explained why this was bad and what to look out for (oil lamp). I made sure he was aware this was unacceptable if he wants that car to keep running at all. He said he wants about 50k more out of the car, I'm hoping I can help him get it there.

Thanks for the suggestions from others about mechanical cleaning, I have the tools and know-how for that so I'll bring it up with him and hopefully he doesn't mind buying the gaskets, I'd love to see what that looks like under the cover! It's gotta be a real horror show.

When he left I thought to myself how glad I am that this isn't my car. Hopefully I can get him in a better spot with it so he can make it to his goal miles (about 180k he said) before getting a new car. At least he knows to top off his oil and what happens when he neglects his maintenance, I was the same way once upon a time so if its a learning experience he's better off for it.

All bs aside you're a good friend for doing this for him. +1ðŸ‘

While we take this stuff for granted and almost 2nd nature, this is a reminder that not everyone shares our "passion" for cars and their upkeep. Doesn't make him (your friend) a bad person per se, it just means cars aren't his "thing".

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

All bs aside you're a good friend for doing this for him. +1ðŸ‘

While we take this stuff for granted and almost 2nd nature, this is a reminder that not everyone shares our "passion" for cars and their upkeep. Doesn't make him (your friend) a bad person per se, it just means cars aren't his "thing".

I'm always happy to help someone who knows less about cars than me, I'm really just trying to pay it back for all those who've done the same for me. Most of what I know about cars now I learned by listening to those who were older and smarter than me, I'd be nowhere without all the help I've had here, other places online, and in person.

It's funny because the owner is a smart guy (good person too), and still managed to do this to his car! I'm hoping with some more talking about his car and oils to use, he'll end up here on BITOG overthinking every little aspect of his oil and filter. Seeing that filter and drain plug covered in gunk definitely caught his attention.

Take good care of him when he finds you guys!
lol.gif

Rather than be his White Knight, make your co-worker do the actual oil change that doing it for him. I get he does not have the space, but if you are using your space and tools, your co-worker can be the one doing the wrench turning and understanding what it takes to do it yourself.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Rather than be his White Knight, make your co-worker do the actual oil change that doing it for him. I get he does not have the space, but if you are using your space and tools, your co-worker can be the one doing the wrench turning and understanding what it takes to do it yourself.

He knows how, but I really enjoy doing it. He even offered to do it himself since he was using my space and i said no, that takes away my reason for doing your change here, I enjoy changing oil! Is that weird? I feel a bit weird now.

I've had other friends come out for an oil change who had never done one, and I had them do the actual wrenching in that case. Less fun than doing it myself but they gotta learn, I'm not always gonna be able to do it for them after all!

I'm hoping with some more talking about his car and oils to use, he'll end up here on BITOG overthinking every little aspect of his oil and filter.

I thought you said you liked the guy...‚...‚...‚

Originally Posted by Hootbro

Good point. Teach a man to fish......

Less fun than doing it myself but they gotta learn, I'm not always gonna be able to do it for them after all!

Not weird. I like working on my car, so long as things don't go south on me it's a good stress reliever/my private time. Although my back doesn't quite work like it use to, so who knows how much longer I can wrench on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I'm hoping with some more talking about his car and oils to use, he'll end up here on BITOG overthinking every little aspect of his oil and filter.

I thought you said you liked the guy...‚...‚...‚

lol.gif
thanks for the belly laugh

............Would a lube shop really charge for a filter and not replace it? Thats so shady! It makes me wonder though, it's hard to believe this filter had less than 10 or 15k on it.
confused.gif

Yes go on youtube and there are hiddencam videos of this happening. It's for pure profit and is fraudulent.

That's sad that someone could possibly do some real damage to a perfectly good engine b/c they didn't want to change the oil and filter to save a few bucks or b/c they were lazy or perhaps they didn't know.

WOW

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
Pure neglect! There's more than 8,000 miles on that filter and oil. Probably closer to 30,000 miles.

I agree with the above statement.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
It would seem that the either the owner is letting his change interval run too long, or his oil change place is screwing him by not replacing the filter. I can't believe there could be that much crud in a decently maintained motor.

Ohh yes they are that crude them oil change places.. You should see the stings the local news has done. There are videos on youtube.. They put cameras and they catch people not even draining the oil and just cleaning the canister oil filter. Also, they strip the oil bolt using impact wrenches....

On one video they came back later and the so-called Manger called his boss and actually told his boss that they were caught...

I see people at work all the time with stripped oil drain bolts or even they go to do an oil change and the original drain bolt is gone and they used a rubber universal drain plug... Sorta looks like an anchor to hang pictures on a wall.

Totally crazy...

If only two quarts came out of the drain, that makes me think the oil has not been changed along with the filter for a very long time and has burned quite a good bit. I feel that every able bodied individual should at the very least know how to change their own oil. It should be a requirement to get your license.

Last edited:
I hate to be that guy, but I have to be that guy.

The ACDelco cartridges for the Ecotech 2.2, crumple and look like garbage every time. My source a 2008 Cobalt with an owner who changes oil at 50% like clockwork.

The car runs either Shell bulk 5w30 from the GM dealer, or High Mileage 5w30 synthetic. I've finally convinced him to try the Fram XG cartridge, since the oil is always pitch black and the ACD filter is failing.

Don't blame the owner here.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
If only two quarts came out of the drain, that makes me think the oil has not been changed along with the filter for a very long time and has burned quite a good bit. I feel that every able bodied individual should at the very least know how to change their own oil. It should be a requirement to get your license.

Local GM dealer pushes 5,000km oil changes on it's clients. Turns out a person I help got burned by that. 20% left on the OLM, motor took 3 litres to get back to the full mark on the dipstick. Turns out GM issued a service bulletin for the engine, due to faulty piston rings. But they never drove it long enough or had me service it. It was rattling horribly, at 3 months or 5,000km, it would never have shown besides being low.

The dealer said oh, sorry the extended warranty expired a month ago, so you can pay to get the engine rebuilt then ask if GM will cover it. First time they had ever said one word about it to the owners.

Life long GM buyers went to calling them pieces of s**t, and saying their next vehicle will be a Toyota.

Also that dealership has a notorious history of damaging air filters or air boxes, and not mentioning anything. Scummy bassturds.

Oh and the oil fill was M1 5W30 synthetic and the M1 cartridge. Made me look really good because I told them the dealer was only fleecing them with the short changes. Luckily they understood it wasn't my fault, I still changed their oil free and told them to check it's level weekly and add.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21
I hate to be that guy, but I have to be that guy.

The ACDelco cartridges for the Ecotech 2.2, crumple and look like garbage every time. My source a 2008 Cobalt with an owner who changes oil at 50% like clockwork.

The car runs either Shell bulk 5w30 from the GM dealer, or High Mileage 5w30 synthetic. I've finally convinced him to try the Fram XG cartridge, since the oil is always pitch black and the ACD filter is failing.

Don't blame the owner here.

I get it that this engine is tough on oil and filters...but owner let the sump get all the way down to 2 quarts - which tells me it was probably never checked. Owner failure there, hopefully Ponchinizo's education will work...or that engine's dying an early death.

Some engines just burn cleaner that others.... GM seems to have problems getting cylinder sizes accurate to keep pistons from slapping around in there... just do a little research on the internet, it is pitiful... not to mention the metal shavings in their Corvette motors… pretty pathetic really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back