Correct Isopropyl Alcohol strength for paint prep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the correct IPA dilution (%) for paint prep, before applying sealant wax? Is it somewhere around 10-15%?

I was thinking of taking 70% IPA, and then mixing it with distilled water (1 part IPA, 4 part water), which should give me around 14% dilution. Is that about right?

Thanks!

For sealant, I wouldn't bother.

For coatings, I have used 91% IPA at full strength.

We use industrial IPA at work. It cleans paint and windows with no damage what so ever. Full strength. It's certainly more robust than rubbing alcohol.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Couldnt use just claybar before and use Glaze after Polish before Wax?

Clay doesn't remove cured sealant. Polishing oils and glazes can interfere with surface inspection and sealant bonding.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Marco620
Couldnt use just claybar before and use Glaze after Polish before Wax?

Clay doesn't remove cured sealant.
To be fair, neither does IPA.

I just don't have time and patience for claying. I'm just looking for some quick way to prep the paint before I apply Fusso Coat.

Last year I applied one coat of Fusso, but then shortly after the car went into a detailer/body shop to fix some factory paint issues/remove impurities. They wet sanded and polished some spots and supposedly applied some Meguiars carnauba wax there. Now, that was a year ago, so that wax is probably all gone by now, but I couldn't exactly tell by observing water beading action. The car sat in the garage almost the whole year.

I also have a bottle of Optimum FerreX in the garage. Would that be better than using IPA in my case?

I remember some detailer i was watching mention that IPA wipe downs with a high % of alcohol can soften paint and cause issues with marring. Now sure if this was true or not but seemed like a plausible reason to be careful not to use too high of a concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back