Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking at the second picture, it's seems that there is some missing paint on the lip of the can, which suggests that the gasket may sit a little too flush with the face of the can causing it to rub against the mounting area? Probably nothing to be concerned about, but if the lip is coming into contact with the mounting face on the engine, could that compromise seal quality?

Originally Posted by OZHSV
Looking at the second picture, it's seems that there is some missing paint on the lip of the can, which suggests that the gasket may sit a little too flush with the face of the can causing it to rub against the mounting area? Probably nothing to be concerned about, but if the lip is coming into contact with the mounting face on the engine, could that compromise seal quality?

That's how the "P" gasket works. You stop torquing the can when it bottoms out on the mount. The Toyota Denso filters are the same way.

I don't care for it myself because it can scratch/gouge the mount.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That was my concern, thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I like that design at all.

That was my concern, thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I like that design at all.

Total non-issue.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Excepting can color, imo looks identical to the Honda A01.

Thanks for c&p.

Completely agree, newer ones are even blue (the part number changed)

You're welcome for the C&P.

All experience is local of course, but I can tell you that I've used either Toyota OEM or Denso filters for nearly the entire life of my old Sienna and ECHO, and that has not been a problem. There's not a bunch of wear marks on the mount and none have ever leaked, ever.

Both of those are "torque stop" design or whatever Denso calls it. IIRC the A01 filters I've always used on the Accord are a similar design.

I've used that design of filter for decades and never had any gouging of the mount. In fact, I never bottomed the filter like that. I just hand tightened snugly. Never a leak.

Originally Posted by kschachn

All experience is local of course, but I can tell you that I've used either Toyota OEM or Denso filters for nearly the entire life of my old Sienna and ECHO, and that has not been a problem. There's not a bunch of wear marks on the mount and none have ever leaked, ever.

Both of those are "torque stop" design or whatever Denso calls it. IIRC the A01 filters I've always used on the Accord are a similar design.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Total non-issue.

It's not total non-sense. I used Toyota Denso filters on my Tacoma for awhile when it was new, and didn't like the fact the filters bottomed out and left marks in the aluminum filter mount when the filter was torqued to specs. I would inspect the edge of the filter can before installing and smooth off any rough spots to help reduce marring. The marks are there in the aluminum seat, but are relatively slight. Still don't like the fact the edge of the can is contacting the seat.

If you always use the OEM filter it won't ever leak because the gouge area is always outside the P-ring contact area. But if you use an aftermarket filter down the road it's possible the base gasket might be over the gouge area.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I've used that design of filter for decades and never had any gouging of the mount. In fact, I never bottomed the filter like that. I just hand tightened snugly. Never a leak.

If you don't bottom out the can of course there's no metal-to-metal contact. If you torque the filter to factory spec, the can will hit the seat and turn a little more after contact.

i didn't say it was non-sense. I said it was a non-issue and it is...

Tighten the filter per the instructions (3/4 turn after gasket contact) and you're fine... Honda even provides marks on the filter and even instructions instructions in the FSM about which mark to turn to based on the starting mark.

Using the proper filter the edge of the can is always outside the gasket surface so even if it did damage the filter mount, the aftermarket gasket won't be trying to seal that surface.

It's a "non-issue" if always using the OEM filter for reasons we both already mentioned. Not all aftermarket filters will have the same exact base gasket contact position.

I don't like the edge of the can contacting and digging into the mounting seat, regardless. If others don't care about that, then that's fine by me, it's not my vehicle. Just describing what I've seen, and I don't totally like the "torque stop" P-ring gasket design for mentioned reasons. I had other reasons besides that to make me decide not to use the OEM filters anymore.
grin2.gif

If you always use the OEM filter it won't ever leak because the gouge area is always outside the P-ring contact area. But if you use an aftermarket filter down the road it's possible the base gasket might be over the gouge area.

I have to say that even after 20 years and nearly 420,000 miles on my Sienna there is no "gouge mark" on the aluminum mount. For one thing when the filter can makes contact it pretty much stops dead, you're not dragging it along gouging out aluminum. Next oil change I'll try and remember to take a picture for you. I looked it up in my Excel spreadsheet and I've changed oil on the vehicle 63 times, not all were the Denso/Toyota filters of course but a majority were.

So is the mount scored, or does it have green paint on it? I always have tightened Toyota filters by hand as tight as I can, and they aren't hitting metal. When I take them off I have a heck of a time and have to get large pliers or something and swear a lot to get them off. A 16 thread moves .0625" per turn which is a lot, so once metal is hit it isn't going much further in rotation. It's interesting almost a whole ring of green paint is off.

I have put on filters with flat gaskets and had them bottom out. I figure those filters do not meet spec. I remove and throw them away. I have not owned a vehicle using the p-gasket oil filter.

Thanks for the explanation of how the p-gasket works.

I have to say that even after 20 years and nearly 420,000 miles on my Sienna there is no "gouge mark" on the aluminum mount. For one thing when the filter can makes contact it pretty much stops dead, you're not dragging it along gouging out aluminum. Next oil change I'll try and remember to take a picture for you. I looked it up in my Excel spreadsheet and I've changed oil on the vehicle 63 times, not all were the Denso/Toyota filters of course but a majority were.

My Tacoma 4.0L V6 filter mount ... clearly score marks all the way around the filter mount from the OEM filter bottoming out. Apparently YMMV on this.

[Linked Image]

More than anything I'm truly shocked you use an OEM filter???

As mentioned earlier, I did for a while when I bought my Tacoma new, but stopped using the OEM filters because of the P-ring and also I wanted a more efficient oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back