Castrol Edge valvetrain noise???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2015 F-150 5.0 last year with about 28k miles on it. For the life of me I cannot remember if my my first oil change of ownership was Motorcraft's Full Sythetic vs Blend.

I'm currently in the middle of moving (ie all my tools are in storage) and I had my oil changed at a local Castrol quick change place (ughhhh). I had them use Castrol Edge and I supplied them with a Motorcraft filter. Ford calls for 5W20 which is what they used and the fill level is just fine.

Right away I've notice did that my valvetrain is a bit noisier, especially upon start up. So much so that as soon as I can, I'd like to do another oil change.

So, I'm wondering if this is just a blend vs synthetic property? Or a Motorcraft synthetic vs Castrol synthetic thing?

If I wanted to, would going to a blend after running synthetic cause any issues?

Full Synthetic is a synthetic blend at best. Let the Castrol do it's ad -pack changeover. Give it 500 miles. I would not go Ti to a no Ti package Got tons of noise from doing that. Don't know why.

If noise continues change the filter.

I have had VT noise and performance issues with VVT in most every vehicle after oil changes.

They are junk components, IMO

Last edited:
JCway16 said:
I picked up a 2015 F-150 5.0 last year with about 28k miles on it. For the life of me I cannot remember if my my first oil change of ownership was Motorcraft's Full Synthetic vs Blend.

It's most likely the blend as Motorcraft Full Synthetic is not easily found....I'd also change the filter before blaming the Castrol....

Dunno why but my engine runs "louder" on some brands. I stick with Supreme 5w30 (a syn blend) as it gives me the quietest engine unless I'm running an oil I got on special/rebate. You'd think if you're using the same vis (in my case a 5/30) it wouldn't make a difference, but it does. I can tell ya that for a fact. Maybe it's the add pk or oil/filter combo as some suggest or the diff in kv100 between oils (never really put the time into "researching" it)???

Last edited:
I had this too with a 3.0 Escape, it was loud enough that I though something had failed and didn't attempt to drive it. Had always ran M1 in it before but Edge had been getting hyped up on here so I decided to try it. After wasting a good bit of time eliminating the possibility of mechanical failure, I changed the oil again to M1 and no more noise. I have ran Castrol GTX in vehicles since this happened, but never bought Edge again.

From Ford:

SSM 47787 - 2011-2019 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L - Tick Tap And/or Typewriter Noise At Idle
Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effectson the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2011 - 2014 TRUCK: F6 F150/LINCOLN MARK LT
2018 - 2019 TRUCK: FC P552N F-150
2015 - 2017 TRUCK: FC P552N F-150
2012 - 2013 CAR: ZF S197N MUSTANG
2011 - 2014 CAR: ZF S197N MUSTANG
2019 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG
2015 - 2019 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG

I agree with Arco here. Seems like my 6.0 needs time to calm down after a brand change. Why who knows. The other 2 don't care.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
From Ford:

SSM 47787 - 2011-2019 Mustang/F-150 - 5.0L - Tick Tap And/or Typewriter Noise At Idle
Some 2011-2019 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well, and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. typewriter noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effectson the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Hyundai has almost the exact worded TSB for my engine.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
From Ford:

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Hyundai has almost the exact worded TSB for my engine.

To use thier hi flow filter?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals

To use thier hi flow filter?

No, a (sometimes) ticking (valve train or timing chain related) noise being "normal", no repair necessary.

TSB 05-20-002 issued in 05 did recommend hi flow filters for all models. Don't know how/if that's been replaced, expired, still in effect..Here's the wording.

USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS
CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

DESCRIPTION:
Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil
filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications
than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine,
thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.
VEHICLES AFFECTED:
All Models
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine
Hyundai oil filter.
WARRANTY INFORMATION:
Normal warranty procedures apply.
This is not a warranty repair.

Last edited:
Since a quickie lube place changed it, it's not possible to be sure what they actually poured in unless you watched them the whole time.

From Ford:

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

The Ford V8 Coyote "Typewriter Tick" (aka the "BBQ Tick") is very random in frequency and more pronounced in the bottom end of the motor, it's not valve train noise. Just search "BBQ Tick" on YouTube if you want to hear what the ticking sounds like that the Ford SSM is addressing.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
For a quieter engine try Mobil 1 next time ...
In bound post that M1 makes engines louder in...3....2....1

Originally Posted by JCway16
So you guys are saying I should change from a Motorcraft filter? What should I go with and why???

If there's any noise at start-up, I'd think that the filter is the issue. Maybe you got one that didn't get the holes punched out correctly and is restricting the oil supply or maybe a malfunctioning anti- drain back valve? Just guessing because it shouldn't be noisy on start-up.

I'm on my third run of Edge (5W-20 the first time and 5W-30 last two), and very happy with it. However, my last OCI had 8 instances (over the course of 11 months and almost 13k miles) where the engine started very quietly but after 20-30 seconds the valve-train became very noisy and remained so until I shut it off. That was with a Fram Ultra but when I dissected it, all looked perfect, so.... I was stumped. No noise during any other OCIs with Fram orange (once) and two with a Purolator Boss.

My long winded point is....that I would try a different filter (whatever brand you please but inspect the inside before purchasing) rather than buying two gallons of oil or another visit to a quick lube.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JCway16

If I wanted to, would going to a blend after running synthetic cause any issues?

I've never heard of going from full syn to syn blend causing a leak. (now someone's gonna chime in with a "this one time" story...‚)

From Ford:

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Wow, this is the single biggest complaint I hear whenever I take the Mustang to the dealer for service. An "operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted"?! Touch wood, I haven't had this issue yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back