Holy filter failure Batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That there is down right shameful on multiple levels. It's so nice of you to "adopt" this vehicle and bring it back to its glory! Best of luck
grin.gif

It seems we have a consensus. The filter went several oil changes. Likely the oil did too.

To speed up the cleanup effort, I would pull the valve cover and do some mechanical cleaning. Depending on how bad this is, I would pull the pan and clean the junk out of the pan and the pickup screen. Then run short OCI / FCI to clean up areas which are not accessible.

Ive pulled filters out with 25K or 30K miles on them that look brand way better. That is owner neglect, long overdue oil changes. Don't do any more maintenance on this guys car. It will blow up and he will say it was your fault.

And I dont recommend using synthetic oil in a pile of junk car such as that, that has 130K hard miles on it, with perhaps 5 oil changes in its entire life. That car should get high mileage 10W30 conventional oil, and thats it.

Looks like neglect to me. Too long an OCI. Looking at the condition of the filter if I had to venture a guess it looks like several OCIs that were too long.

Owner needs to be reminded to check the oil level a lot more frequently. Two quarts coming out of the sump at OCI end is unacceptable and harmful to the engine.

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
Owner needs to be reminded to check the oil level a lot more frequently. Two quarts coming out of the sump at OCI end is unacceptable and harmful to the engine.

These "people" are un-fixable. They simply dont care. You can remind them, tell them, demand, that they check the oil, and the next time he brings his car in for an oil change, it will be 3 quarts low, and have 23K miles on conventional oil.

My aunt had a 2.2 with bulk oil (also about 2 qts left) late for an oil change by about 7k. That looks like it was in the same range...

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Thanks.

Could be alternatively described as " Owner failure"

UD

This is exactly right ^^^^^^^

Owner failure is what happened here.

Originally Posted by WellOiled
It seems we have a consensus. The filter went several oil changes. Likely the oil did too.

To speed up the cleanup effort, I would pull the valve cover and do some mechanical cleaning. Depending on how bad this is, I would pull the pan and clean the junk out of the pan and the pickup screen. Then run short OCI / FCI to clean up areas which are not accessible.

As per my post, my filter went 1 OCI, at 3,000 mile change with PP 5W-30 on a healthy engine, and it looked the same as the OPs filter.
Can't say you have a reasonable conclusion on a sample of one.

As for the value of consensus, look at the Bay of Pigs invasion as an example of consensus.

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
Originally Posted by vw7674
Looks like the oil filter is just slightly bigger than a decent 1970s fuel filter.
Sad.

The OEM ones in my Corolla are about this size but they look beautiful after 5-7.5k miles, this what I'm used to seeing when I do an oil change.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the image, yours seems to have generous pleats/surface area at least.
All mine are still steel canister, appreciate the perspective.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Think I would send him to the auto parts store for a few Hengst made AC Delco filters, a case of PYB, a socket for his oil filter cap, and teach him how to do it himself. So I don't get blamed when it clogs the oil pump pickup strainer & throws a rod...

He knows how but lacks the space to do it, he lives in a student apartment I believe. He's a good guy and wouldn't come after me if the car failed, this isn't the only problem with it! I explained why this was bad and what to look out for (oil lamp). I made sure he was aware this was unacceptable if he wants that car to keep running at all. He said he wants about 50k more out of the car, I'm hoping I can help him get it there.

Thanks for the suggestions from others about mechanical cleaning, I have the tools and know-how for that so I'll bring it up with him and hopefully he doesn't mind buying the gaskets, I'd love to see what that looks like under the cover! It's gotta be a real horror show.

When he left I thought to myself how glad I am that this isn't my car. Hopefully I can get him in a better spot with it so he can make it to his goal miles (about 180k he said) before getting a new car. At least he knows to top off his oil and what happens when he neglects his maintenance, I was the same way once upon a time so if its a learning experience he's better off for it.

Last edited:
Think I would send him to the auto parts store for a few Hengst made AC Delco filters, a case of PYB, a socket for his oil filter cap, and teach him how to do it himself. So I don't get blamed when it clogs the oil pump pickup strainer & throws a rod...

He knows how but lacks the space to do it, he lives in a student apartment I believe. He's a good guy and wouldn't come after me if the car failed, this isn't the only problem with it! I explained why this was bad and what to look out for (oil lamp). I made sure he was aware this was unacceptable if he wants that car to keep running at all. He said he wants about 50k more out of the car, I'm hoping I can help him get it there.

Thanks for the suggestions from others about mechanical cleaning, I have the tools and know-how for that so I'll bring it up with him and hopefully he doesn't mind buying the gaskets, I'd love to see what that looks like under the cover! It's gotta be a real horror show.

When he left I thought to myself how glad I am that this isn't my car. Hopefully I can get him in a better spot with it so he can make it to his goal miles (about 180k he said) before getting a new car. At least he knows to top off his oil and what happens when he neglects his maintenance, I was the same way once upon a time so if its a learning experience he's better off for it.

Your coworker has an excellent friend. I'm glad you are helping him. I'm thinking with your help, his goal will be accomplished. Thanks for the C&P. BTW, when I was younger, my oil change habits were terrible.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I thought wavy pleats were indicative of moisture issues.

Not in these ecotec engines. They have issues with filters getting wavy media all the time. Most of the one's I pulled out of my mom's Saturn Vue were wavy, and they were 5000-8000 mile intervals using Napa Pro-Select and other similar priced filters.
Even OEM filters had the issue (but not as often).

Originally Posted by WellOiled

Your coworker has an excellent friend. I'm glad you are helping him. I'm thinking with your help, his goal will be accomplished. Thanks for the C&P. BTW, when I was younger, my oil change habits were terrible.

I was like you when I was younger...

I really did not take good care of my first 3 cars . My Ford Probe got 2 qts low a number of times... It was not until I was 24 years old that I started paying much more attention to things. I also started working on my own cars a bit and changing the oil regularly.

The L61 engine variant used in the 2005 /2006 Malibu was not noted for oil consumption issues. Problems of earlier variants had been resolved by 2005 / 2006. Oil consumption of 1 qt in 2000 miles was considered OK by Chevrolet. With a 4 qt oil capacity, the engine could be 2 qts low in 4000 miles if the user did not top up regularly. I did see a few reports where the onset of oil consumption was about 130k or 140k. Some of these needed new PCV valves. If the user topped up regularly, the engines could go 200k or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back