slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about a 1 year old Dell desk top computer that runs windows 10 at about 7mbps download speed, while other computers connected to the same router are running about 150mbps. This Dell used to run that fast but something happened and I don't know what. McAfee doesn't see anything wrong. McAfee has done a complete scan which took about 16 hours, and found 2 minor issues which it resolved, it also has "cleaned up" some temporary files and assorted other junk. All that netted me 0 speed increase.

I am not a computer literate person, but is there anything else I can try before taking this to a computer tech guy?

What's your CPU and RAM usage? Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del > Task manager > More details

Reboot, hit F12 and run Dell's onboard diagnostics.

The hard drive may be weak?
Try buying a SSD and see if it can be faster.
It is relatively cheap, check slickdeals.

Originally Posted by another Todd
The dell by cable, but I have changed it with no change. Another computer also by cable...not problems. My phone via wifi 140mbps.

• Try the other cable, the one going to the other computer that gets good speeds, and see if that changes anything.
  • Change the 'port' that this computer is connected to on the router
  • If this computer is only 1 year old, surely it has built-in wireless network card - try connecting by wireless

Originally Posted by JMJNet
The hard drive may be weak?

No, has no impact on internet browsing / speed test results.

Even with a desktop it really isn't difficult to unplug the CPU box and move it to another location using the keyboard mouse monitor etc. that's already there.

At least swap the ports on the switch or router so that you are using as much of the "good" network as possible toward the "bad" computer.

Originally Posted by another Todd
Just changed the cable with two more, one new, also tried connecting with wifi, no real change with any of it. It should be 10 - 15 times faster than it is.

Did you disconnect the cable when you tried via WiFi? Have you tried another browser?

I think I would see if there is an updated driver. Dell also has a tool to diagnose hardware. Or I would follow whatever OVERKILL says.

Dell Support
smile.gif

When you try a different cable, are you running it all the way from the computer to the router? Or from the computer to the wall jack?

[/quote]Did you disconnect the cable when you tried via WiFi? Have you tried another browser? [/quote]

Yes I disconnected the cable when trying wifi.

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
When you try a different cable, are you running it all the way from the computer to the router? Or from the computer to the wall jack?

The router is on the same desk as computer, cable runs from computer to router, abd I have tried all plugs on router, no difference.

Originally Posted by chemman
Check to see if SmartByte is installed on your computer.

I checked, I do, so I opened it...it came to a speed test screen so I hit got and go 165 mbps. Why do I get 165 mbps through that and 8 mbps via firefox, edge, and chrome? Do I need to delete it still?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back