Dexron 6 for our 2 GM cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I put a TES-295 fluid in my 2002 Saturn, which specifies Dexron III...

TES-295 fluids start out at the same viscosity as Dexron III, a little thicker than VI,
But because they are synthetic, they do not shear down.

Dexron III shears down to Dexron VI viscosity over time...

https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids...

Synthetic base oils have little to do with the shearing-down of the fluid.

The type, structure, and quality of the Viscosity Index Improver (VII) is what determines how much the shearing-down of viscosity takes place. Modern LV fluids such as MaxLife and Dexron VI are not allowed to drop in viscosity more than about 1/2 cSt from 40C to 100C.

Modern LV fluids are the most shear, heat, and fm stable ATF's to date.

BTW, if the fluid is black, and one thing not discussed so far, is it is very important to change the filter as well since it may be partially obstructed with particulates.

Last edited:
I looked this up and it came out to be $ 66.62 . This includes $ 33 hazmat + $ 12.71 shipping . Unfortunately , not too good .

The price from Scoggin Dickey , at $ 25 is much better .

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
If it can wait I buy it by the case from gmpartsgiant. Something like $4.50 a qt. Then I just do cooler line exchanges 3 quarts at a time.

[Linked Image]

Can you please post a link to this ? I am not having any luck looking on gmpartsgiant ?

Its been only 3 months since I bought that. I just checked and its showing discontinued now!! Sorry, I didn't expect that.
But.. there's this.. https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-fluid-a-trans-dexron-vi-1-gal-88865602.html?Vin=1GYEK63N96R102602&Filter=()

I've had good luck ordering here. They are actually a huge OEM parts network using multiple websites for many auto manufacturers. I order for my Nissan on the "nissanpartsdeal" site, which is also part of the same network.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I put a TES-295 fluid in my 2002 Saturn, which specifies Dexron III...

As a guy who owned a bunch of Saturns, and also who ran a lot of the TES-295 tests at Allison, my highest praises, man!
(we borrowed the Saturn spin-on for the Allison 1000/2000, although we used it to filter the supply to the control solenoids.)

I looked this up and it came out to be $ 66.62 . This includes $ 33 hazmat + $ 12.71 shipping . Unfortunately , not too good .

The price from Scoggin Dickey , at $ 25 is much better .

Wyr
God bless

If it can wait I buy it by the case from gmpartsgiant. Something like $4.50 a qt. Then I just do cooler line exchanges 3 quarts at a time.

[Linked Image]

Can you please post a link to this ? I am not having any luck looking on gmpartsgiant ?

Its been only 3 months since I bought that. I just checked and its showing discontinued now!! Sorry, I didn't expect that.
But.. there's this.. https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-fluid-a-trans-dexron-vi-1-gal-88865602.html?Vin=1GYEK63N96R102602&Filter=()

I've had good luck ordering here. They are actually a huge OEM parts network using multiple websites for many auto manufacturers. I order for my Nissan on the "nissanpartsdeal" site, which is also part of the same network.

FYI-if you haven't bought yet, Zoro is actually the cheapest at under $4.50/qt. (Mag 1 licensed Dex VI, license # J-10161), over $50 is free shipping, and you can get 15% off if you sign up for emails, and click through if you use it.

Originally Posted by alchargo
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by talest
I think 2006 was about the first year they were using Dexron 6, true that the Sonics have no dipstick. They have a plug you can remove, one to let it out and one to put it in. Stupid. Dipsticks..

Having to soon be purchasing dome Dex 6 much like yourself, the best stuff I have found for cost is the AC Delco factory OEM Dexron 6, it seems cheaper and more applicable than the Maxlife Mercon LV compatible stuff. Dex 6 is supposed to be one of those finicky fluids.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9...;qid=1564408330&s=gateway&sr=8-3

As to why it is black ? Probably because every other GM transmission I have drain and filled, from late 80s and early 90s TH-350C to late 90s transmission of whatever is bolted to a 3800 to the transmissions in trucks, 4L60E, 4L80E, have been black.. my guess is heat, and the fluid being worked very very hard. All the trans shifted and worked fine just had funky and very black fluid. Drain and fills made them continue to work wonderfully, and always a little smoother after a fluid drain and fill, cannot speak as to flushes, that is more a roll of the dice, might be fine might stir something up. 50/50 chance.

AC Delco is not factory OEM fluid and to be DEXRON VI the fluid has a single additive package and the fluid must preform as Low Viscosity group III synthetic at a minimum. So there is no performance difference beyond how a motor preforms from batch to batch which is near uniform.

While not all ACDelco products are OEM, the Dexron is question is. ACDelco products that are considered GM Original Equipment will listed a GM part number along with an ACDelco part number (88865602 in this instance).

GM fluid and AC Delco have different license numbers and AC Delco and Phillips 66 DEXRON VI have the same license number J-60004.

A decent fluid I'm sure but not licensed dexron VI. No different than Maxlife in that regard and slightly more expensive than the Maxlife at Walmart.

Interesting, I was wondering why you would post that if it wasn't. Odd way to to market it but thanks for the correction. I may have to check it out for my old BMW which is due for a change.

Originally Posted by talest
I think 2006 was about the first year they were using Dexron 6, true that the Sonics have no dipstick. They have a plug you can remove, one to let it out and one to put it in. Stupid. Dipsticks..

Having to soon be purchasing dome Dex 6 much like yourself, the best stuff I have found for cost is the AC Delco factory OEM Dexron 6, it seems cheaper and more applicable than the Maxlife Mercon LV compatible stuff. Dex 6 is supposed to be one of those finicky fluids.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9...;qid=1564408330&s=gateway&sr=8-3

As to why it is black ? Probably because every other GM transmission I have drain and filled, from late 80s and early 90s TH-350C to late 90s transmission of whatever is bolted to a 3800 to the transmissions in trucks, 4L60E, 4L80E, have been black.. my guess is heat, and the fluid being worked very very hard. All the trans shifted and worked fine just had funky and very black fluid. Drain and fills made them continue to work wonderfully, and always a little smoother after a fluid drain and fill, cannot speak as to flushes, that is more a roll of the dice, might be fine might stir something up. 50/50 chance.

Why do you think a flush would stir something up?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I also pull ATF from my 6L90 ( 3 quarts using a 3/8 OD plastic tube through the dipstick tube). I replace it with our readily available Motomaster full synthetic Dex 6 (CANADA only). I do this once per year and the old stuff is darker but not bad.

Does that product list a dexos license number on the container?

Qualified and Licensed by General Motors.

D1901F31-0D29-4E62-B280-A83B266F46DA.jpeg

5BFC6F2B-9E70-4AC2-BBE8-05D3278367EE.jpeg

Last edited:
I also pull ATF from my 6L90 ( 3 quarts using a 3/8 OD plastic tube through the dipstick tube). I replace it with our readily available Motomaster full synthetic Dex 6 (CANADA only). I do this once per year and the old stuff is darker but not bad.

What is the 6 L 90 attached to?

What is the 6 L 90 attached to?

In this case a 2008 Chev 3/4 ton Suburban with a 6.0 liter V-8 LS engine.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Does that product list a dexos license number on the container?

Qualified and Licensed by General Motors.

Do not think we have that brand in the lower 48 . At least , I have never seen it in our area .

Best of luck to you , :)

May purchase my next batch of DEXRON 6 from Scoggin - Dicky parts department . Think it says the AC Delco is full synthetic .

Because that brand is Canadian Tire. It's available across Canada but nowhere else. They typically sell decent stuff made by a reputable supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back