15 year old oil OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLP

Maybe a dumb question (I am a chemist so maybe should know better).

I just bought a zero mile 2005 CBR1000RR. I plan to use it as soon as it arrives (not going to keep it locked away).

Should I change the engine oil before firing it up? It has never been started or had gas in it. (I am assuming it did ship from factory with oil in it and not just fogged).

Thanks

I have oil in my garage from old projects that is 17 and 20 years old. It seems just fine and I occasionally use some of it. Heck, the oil in my lathe gearbox is every bit that old and still functions perfectly.

If the oil looks fine in the sight glass, and has no odd (rancid) smell, then probably not much risk to use it.

But like the suggestion above, oil is really cheap, so why not use fresh oil? That way, you can break in the engine on your oil of choice.

Last edited:
Apples and oranges I'm sure. My Predator had only assembly lube in it some oil but just a bit. I'd figure on doing a drain and fill, before fueling. Were they filled at the factory? At least check the level.

I would not change it.
Was it still in crate or was it assembled? Still in crate, not sure if oil is added at factory or at assembly point.
Regardless, 15 yr old oil sitting it the crank of a non used motor is fine. You do a 600 mile service anyway, just leave it till then.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I would not change it.
Was it still in crate or was it assembled? Still in crate, not sure if oil is added at factory or at assembly point.
Regardless, 15 yr old oil sitting it the crank of a non used motor is fine. You do a 600 mile service anyway, just leave it till then.
If it actually has zero miles I would be wondering what the FF is. Honda cars have special FF, right? I wonder if their bikes do, too?

Good find if you got it at a good price. Now if I could find a 0 mile Sandcast 750, 73 Z1 (or H1) for a few thousand.....
I have seen brand new 4-5 year old Valkyries for cheap. They never sold well, some think they are *****. I love my 99 Interstate tho

Valk and planeIMG_20140501_140649_426_cr.jpg

Tha's quite a find - what's the story behind it?

If it were mine, I'd probably change it just for peace of mind. Quicker and easier than getting an oil analysis done. I'd hate to fire up a 15 year old factory fresh engine only for it to chew itself to pieces because someone decided to fill it with soybean oil (or whatever) for storage.

Mechanically, I would turn the crank over a couple of revolutions by hand just to make sure nothing's seized.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I would run it for 500 miles then change it.

Yeah this.

At a minimum I'd use the FF while getting it running right and dialed in, and for a couple heat cycles.

I would probably use the FF to break it in...run it hard (not beat on it, but don't baby it!) for 4-500 miles, then change it.

Not even 2 or 3 miles on it from set-up inspection ? Probably just fine but 3 qts of new oil is cheap insurance.

0 miles, is this bike in a crate?

Are you sure the engine was never fired up?

Just curious how this is verified, what a great find on the bike!
Potentially a concern could be the oil filter media or internal adhesives breaking down after sitting in oil for 15 years. Probably not an issue, but those things should cross most of our minds in this situation.

In any case change it out for some $12 a gallon rotella t4 15w40, put in a new filter, and run it for a few hundred miles to break it in.

Then change over to whatever oil you want to use, and ride that bike!

Originally Posted by Bonz
Potentially a concern could be the oil filter media or internal adhesives breaking down after sitting in oil for 15 years. Probably not an issue, but those things should cross most of our minds in this situation.

In any case change it out for some $12 a gallon rotella t4 15w40, put in a new filter, and run it for a few hundred miles to break it in.

Then change over to whatever oil you want to use, and ride that bike!

Good point about the oil filter. For peace of mind, I think I'd change the oil and filter before starting the engine, then ride it 600~1000 miles and change the oil. You could probably leave the new filter on the bike and be fine until the 2nd oil change.

The engine will have been started as part of the post-production checks.

For the cost of a couple of quarts of oil and a filter... I'd change it.

Thanks all for the inputs.

So I decided to put in a new OEM filter (good call), fill with Rotella T4, and then switch to Amsoil after 500 miles.

Bike is assembled but otherwise as it came from the factory. Never had gas in it. Came from a private collection. I got it from Iconic motorbikes in LA who specialize in low mileage sport classics.

Here is a pic

IMG_0605.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back