Honda self propelled mower pinion lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Honda mower that says to grease the pinion gears every so often. I'm curious if there is any more info on this. I have tubes of Amsoil NLGI #2 grease that I use on stuff. I guess that would work. Or would a lighter weight grease like aerosol lithium grease be better?

Not sure if it would actually be better, but the Amsoil #2 is heavier and should stay on there longer.
I use the cheap stuff from Wally World without issue.

I don't see why the white lithium spray wouldn't work either, but you might have to apply it a little more often.

Honestly I think that as long as you have 'Something' on them, you'll be fine.

Had mine about five years now, and I clean and lube the pinion gears at least once a year with Valvoline red wheel bearing grease.

When it starts getting hard to pull it backwards, pinions need to be cleaned and greased.

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
Thanks! Do you do anything specific or just kinda coat the gear?

Remove back wheel (12mm socket).
Remove the snap ring, then the washer, and pull the pinion gear off.
Give it a good cleaning, and apply a light coating inside and out.
Coat teeth on the gear on rear wheel while you're at it.
More isn't necessarily better, and just makes a bigger mess.
Reassemble and good to go.

If you're feeling lazy = Remove back wheel, wipe everything off.
Spray pinion gear and gear on wheel with your Lithium grease spray.
Spin pinion gear a few times, and replace wheel.

Last edited:
Unless they changed the design recently, the axle bushings are what will make the whole drive system on a Honda mower give up the ghost if you don't address them from time to time. They get corroded, dirty, rusty and start to bind the drive axle, putting so much of a load on the drive that it will burn out hydro driven units and will eventually smoke gear driven ones as well. You cannot tell they are binding when free-wheeling the unit because the pinions and axle only 'engage' when being powered by the drive system.

IIRC (it's been awhile), it's a few more steps than what Lawn_care suggested above. Another snap ring and a few washers upstream of the pinion gears to remove/clean or replace the axle bushings.

Originally Posted by JTK
Unless they changed the design recently, the axle bushings are what will make the whole drive system on a Honda mower give up the ghost if you don't address them from time to time. They get corroded, dirty, rusty and start to bind the drive axle, putting so much of a load on the drive that it will burn out hydro driven units and will eventually smoke gear driven ones as well. You cannot tell they are binding when free-wheeling the unit because the pinions and axle only 'engage' when being powered by the drive system.

IIRC (it's been awhile), it's a few more steps than what Lawn_care suggested above. Another snap ring and a few washers upstream of the pinion gears to remove/clean or replace the axle bushings.

You are 100% correct, Sir. I forgot about that honestly, but I've never had mine bind up yet.
Luckily the pinion gear clean/lube has done it so far.

Here is a link to a prior thread on this exact topic, if this helps anyone.

Last edited:
Honda Power Equipment Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #107----Wheels locking up when pulling backwards. Adjuster arms have the wrong size(under size) bushings.

My mower(serial number) is effected by the service bulletin. Had mine five years now, and it still rolls backwards just fine. Just serviced the pinions, and installed new back wheels because they were slick.

Links posted below that tells about the bulletin, and a video on how to change the adjuster arm.

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/show...Wheels-Locking-Up-When-Pulling-Backwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlFTKA_pIk

This video shows what is happening with the under size adjuster arm bushings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubnpTirPBu4&t=4s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back