Diagnostic scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

What scanners do you guys recommend for the DIY'er that supports a decent amount of live data. I have a Innova 3140d that only supports 26 PID's for my 98 chevy trucks and I have an older AutoXray 6000 that supports over 40 PID's.

I went to read what my cam retard reading was on my 98 K3500 because awhile back I discovered that my distributor bolt was loose and I accidentally moved my distributor while messing with the cap and just tried moving it back to where I thought it was. Since then my truck has not been starting very well, like it's firing between the distributor contacts.

I hook up the 3140d and it doesn't give me a reading for this or very much of anything. I then try my 6000 which is no longer made or supported and the company no longer exists and it does have this reading. As I suspected, the cam retard was out of spec at -3.2. I adjusted it to a -1.4 and called it good. The truck does start better now.

I want to upgrade to a newer scanner that will support more live data than the 3140d and will be able to read the cam retard on my 98 trucks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good diagnostic scanner and not just a basic code reader. I don't mind paying a little more for something that will give a decent amount of info for the trucks as well as for my Mustang. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Richie
Watching for recommendations as I too have the Auto Xray 6000 that I'd like to replace.

I've always been pretty happy with the 6000 and it worked for what I needed it to do but since there is no longer any support for it, I want something newer. I bought the 3140d a few years ago to replace it but it seems very limited for live data, even on other vehicles that I've used it on.

Autel 906BT. Just did the transmission reset on a Chevy Spark after replacing the tranny. Dealer wanted $150. Also monitored the trans temp when adjusting the fluid level. Spend the $200 over their MS906 model which does less things.

I am due for an upgrade as well.
ABS and SRS is a must.
Not sure if it would be worthwhile for a bi-directional scanner to customize settings and such.
Looking for OBD2 only. I have no need for older manufacturer specific connectors.

I have been looking at various Autel models but I've been reading a lot of negative stuff about the batteries not lasting in a lot of them.

I want something that does more than one car line as we have a lot of different makes and vehicles in the family.

I do want something that can monitor transmission temps since the Mustang needs to be at a certain temp to accurately read the fluid level. My AutoXray 6000 shows the trans temp of my 98 trucks.

Watching as well. I would like one that will bleed the ABS for Toyota and GMC.

Last edited:
I picked up a OBD2 scanner from Blue Driver recently- so far I am very happy with it. I am not sure it has exactly the features you are looking for, but its been very helpful with my Saturn, Mini and Ford.

OBDLink MX + will do that for you at around $80. No ABS bleeding though, nothing in this price range will do that for you, but it will read ABS, SRS codes.

One needs to part with pro grade money for pro grade tools

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but... Instead of scanners, is software for a laptop/notebook available instead? I've seen many wi-fi ODB readers that work with IOS and Android. Someone out there must have taken the next step and integrated full functionality into a PC software package.

Ray

Originally Posted by wtd
I have been looking at various Autel models but I've been reading a lot of negative stuff about the batteries not lasting in a lot of them.

Went 6 months without recharging mine.

The exact reason I want a replacement for my Xray 6000.

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by Richie
Watching for recommendations as I too have the Auto Xray 6000 that I'd like to replace.

I've always been pretty happy with the 6000 and it worked for what I needed it to do but since there is no longer any support for it, I want something newer. I bought the 3140d a few years ago to replace it but it seems very limited for live data, even on other vehicles that I've used it on.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but... Instead of scanners, is software for a laptop/notebook available instead? I've seen many wi-fi ODB readers that work with IOS and Android. Someone out there must have taken the next step and integrated full functionality into a PC software package.

Ray

The only full function free software package and you can just use a basic ELM327 code reader would be for Ford and possiblity Mazda. It's Forscan and it's free. Even lets you program keys to the car.

I have an older version of a Launch x431 system, they have a new one now called icarscan, about $288, comes with software for 10 car lines or specific car functions like bleeding ABS, DPF regen etc. The basic scanners typically don't have those functions available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32698860988.html

I've looked at the Blue Driver as well. I'm not sure it will do what I want though.

Autel is still on the radar, I just don't know which one to get. I'm not sure I can really justify spending over a $1,000 for one though so that may leave out those versions.

Just got the Faslink P1, $94 eBay, did the ABS module Bleed for 2010 Sienna, but wouldn't for the 2005 4Runner. Seems to be derived from another company, I'll add that link too, but you should research it as there are many companies that seem to be coming out with similar products. I run it on a 8" Samsung tablet, I don't have smart phone and that's what this is probably geared for.
Faslink P1

NexzDAS Lite

Just the short of it from my vantage point, Faslink P1 runs the NexzDAS-Lite app through the NexzDAS store front app, you can also upgrade to pay packages, but I haven't, I was able to load free software for many autos, Toyota, Ford, GM, Kia, BMW, ect. but I haven't done anything with it except the above Toyota Sienna ABS Bleed. Lots of promise, but seems like they are still improving the access interface software, but to be fair I haven't used it much and lack experience beyond Innova 3160E. There is also a Faslink M2, $30ish bucks eBay, that is Mode 6 capable, I really like that one, my new one may take some getting used to...

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Ray

Yes, this has been around way before Wifi and Bluetooth connected systems for iOS and Android. They seemed to have dropped off in popularity because users prefer the smaller footprint of a smartphone, or the purpose built scanners. The original GM dealer systems back in the late 90's were just ruggedized PC's with the OBD2 to (whatever) interface, with a lot of local logic and ability to store and forward data back to GM. Once you have the OBD2 to PC interface, and some API on your computer, then you could use literally any computer system to create your compute / presentation layer. A lot of these gadgets are cheap industrial controllers where the SDK (software development kit) runs on Linux, Mac or PC. I have not done this sort of work for a long time, but Java based systems running Vxworks used to be popular.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back