Sleep Preference: Dead Quiet or Background Noise (white noise)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to have the gentle Swishhh of my trusty small mini air filter machine. It's quite useless as an actual filtration system I dont even put the hokey little filter discs in it anymore but it's​ tiny fan makes the perfect swish or swoosh sound at just the right volume. Can't hardly sleep without it.

How about you? Like some white noise or other sound(s) going on in order to sleep or do you like it dead quiet in the room?

Background noise. I have a huge loud shop box fan going full blast in our bedroom. It it's too quiet the sound of my own pulse will keep me awake!

My favorite is windows open so i can hear the tree frogs. I live in a very wooded area, and they are loud. I sleep so good when they are loud.

I grew up with no a/c but with the windows open and fans whirring. I still have a fan going when sleeping, no matter what the weather.

My wife is dysfunctional and grew up with a TV on all night, if I turn the TV off she wakes up. She is past menopause, but still has to have super turbo fan blowing wide open, with a ceiling fan on medium. The TV is on most of the time, I like almost dead silence, the fan on low would be perfect. It can be very frustrating at times, I take meletonan to get to sleep faster.

How much melatonin do you take? I hear people taking between 3-10 mg.

These Honeywell fans are perfect, on low, blowing against the wall. I've used them for years. Home A/C is set to 73 year round so temperature isn't a problem.

I fall asleep with Hulu on, King of the Hill (one of my favorite shows) and sleep timer on for 30 minutes. I usually fall asleep after 5-10 minutes.

[Linked Image]

Some noise I sleep better with some. Being said I don't need a stinking 1MC going off every 3 minutes paging a Officer or Chief Petty Officer.

I prefer quiet. We're in a hotel room tonight, and those HVAC units always make some noise. It just takes longer to get to sleep with background noise.

I have to sleep with a fan. Even when I go visit a friend or family member I bring a fan with me, just in case there isn't one present. The fan noise and the breeze both play a part in helping me to fall asleep.

Dead Quiet! If its not Quiet, I'll make it Dead! and quiet.

I grew up, and lived in the big city most of my life. I did not always have a choice of my sleeping conditions, cept whom I slept with. Sirens, helicopters, traffic, semi trucks, ect. I don't miss it one bit!

Now, I have to sleep with my windows shut because the coyote's howl, the deer and elk grunt and stomp at the coyote's, and it bothers my dogs and both of my cats, and it messes up my whole peaceful sleep thing I have going!

For those of you that use fans all night, it blows dust, and or other airborne particles for you to inhale all night long. It is said to be bad for your respiratory system and after long term exposer may develop respiratory issues. I already have them from childhood without exposer to dust or particles. There are these things called dust mites also.

T.V. Also Bad, many studies have shown it disrupts sleep patterns, and even with your eyes closed you still are visually stimulated by the flashing light because the TV is on while the room is dark. My 77 y.o. mother's TV pretty much has "Never" been turned off in 20 years! Her sleep patterns have been completely wacked the whole time, but what do I know? I'm her son, IDK ****!

I sleep in pitch black, with No fan of coarse!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Background noise. I have a huge loud shop box fan going full blast in our bedroom. It it's too quiet the sound of my own pulse will keep me awake!

That's funny...i thought I was the only one who could "hear" their pulse and it drive them nuts. My ex wife used to think I was batty. (i still might be ...‚)

A fan for air movmt and white noise..and this is gonna sound weird but I stream the local police/emergency services via a scanner app on a sleep timer, on low vol. It's the only way I can fall asleep otherwise I'll be up tossing and turning all night. (I've had bad insomnia over the years and even spent time in a hospital due to not having slept for 4dys..I was hallucinating/hearing voices when I finally went into the ER.. lemme tell ya, ur mind does some weird chit when it doesn't shut down for a long time)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
My 77 y.o. mother's TV pretty much has "Never" been turned off in 20 years! Her sleep patterns have been completely wacked the whole time, but what do I know? I'm her son, IDK ****!

I sleep in pitch black, with No fan of coarse!

That's my (71yo) mother... TV is on 24/7. And if I leave the light on in the bathroom or dining room I get bytched at about the electric bill (even though I replaced all her old tungsten filament bulbs for LED's and they literally use pennies in electricity)

I can sleep through anything. The one thing I hated was when my wife had yo watch those 💩header chatty screechingHousewives Of Wherever. Those are worse than a jet engine running . I will sleep through a war movie easier than those screechy boice that cut right through foam earplugs. It's worse than a prison riot as I know first hand.

Quiet is good...but I get to lie there with the tinnitus sounding like a parked airliner on it's APU.

I can do noise, but an A/C unit outside my window with the fan scraping the condenser doesn't do it.

To get instant and good nights sleep, I do 20 minutes of either Wim Hof DMT breathing, 20 minutes of guided meditation, or some hodge podge of similar that I make up on the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back