Picking up a ‘13 Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately my stepdaughter's 2005 Town & Country got hit last weekend. Got into the hood, radiator, front bumper, both headlights. With it being 14 years old and with 140k-plus miles, it's likely totaled. So after a major search for a replacement this past week, I found a ‘13 Grand Caravan SXT with 164k mainly highway miles. Carfax checked out OK from the info that was on it. Had no issues at all with it during my test drive. Excellent power, transmission shifted well, and the engine was quiet as a church mouse. I've also got a 2005 Town & Country with the 3.8 and the differences in the two were night and day, both in the power department and the handling. If she hadn't liked this ‘13, I may have made a play for it myself!

So what are some of the nuances I need to know about the Pentastar 3.6? My brother has one of the same year and indicated we could expect about 3mpg better from the ‘13. I see a slew of newer T&C and GC on the road, so I guess something must be right with them. Although the oil cap says 5w20, I'll be running Phillips 66 Shield Choice 5w30 in the warm months and some flavor of Amsoil 5w30 during the winter. Transmission will get Amsoil Signature Series. Just curious to know the experiences of others with this van or with something else that has the 3.6.

E6698855-4254-4914-87A0-84399C6558B5.jpeg

F72763AB-D8DA-4E53-B1A1-FBA16C51B35C.jpeg

Last edited:
They're pretty solid, my grandma has a 14' Grand Caravan and has 39k miles. Timing chain cover and oil pan gasket was replaced closer to 30k miles for leaks.

I think their biggest problems are undersized brakes that warp easily up to the 2013 year, and the oil cooler is prone to leaks, is the same piece as the oil filter housing.

We love our 2018, and my 300 has the same engine. Be careful with the oil filter housing, they're known to crack and leak if over tightened.

Rear air conditioning evaporator springs leaks. Oil cooler housing can spring leaks. If you don't have the heavy duty brake option they will warp easily. Probably overdue for a coolant swap. Change the thermostat assembly at the same time, cheap and easy. If you start hearing any ticking noises from the engine there are issues with improperly heat treated cam followers/rockers. Cheap and easy to fix yourself if needed. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by sloinker
Rear air conditioning evaporator springs leaks. Oil cooler housing can spring leaks. If you don't have the heavy duty brake option they will warp easily. Probably overdue for a coolant swap. Change the thermostat assembly at the same time, cheap and easy. If you start hearing any ticking noises from the engine there are issues with improperly heat treated cam followers/rockers. Cheap and easy to fix yourself if needed. Good Luck!

+1 forgot about the defective heads on 2011-2013 engines.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
We love our 2018, and my 300 has the same engine. Be careful with the oil filter housing, they're known to crack and leak if over tightened.
Good to know. I'll pick up a spare just in case.

Looks like a solid van. I've seen lots of people get very high mileage out of them with little trouble.

One more thing...Go Spark Plugs!!
grin.gif

We bought a '15 GC about 6 months ago to replace our '05 T&C. You're right, it's a nice upgrade in the power dept, and MPG is better, too. It's been good to us so far.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Looks like a solid van. I've seen lots of people get very high mileage out of them with little trouble.

One more thing...Go Spark Plugs!!
grin.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Pat in Speedway
Good to know. I'll pick up a spare just in case.

Its quite abit of a job to replace the housing/cooler fyi.. I'd recommend putting a mark on the housing and lid so you can just retighten the lid the same every time.

Some aftermarket filters are a little off but most are fine.. I got one that was about .15" longer than the oem.

I had the 3.2 which is basically the same engine and quite liked it.

Originally Posted by Rand

Its quite abit of a job to replace the housing/cooler fyi.. I'd recommend putting a mark on the housing and lid so you can just retighten the lid the same every time.

Some aftermarket filters are a little off but most are fine.. I got one that was about .15" longer than the oem.

I had the 3.2 which is basically the same engine and quite liked it.

I see now. I was thinking the oil filter cap. I see the housing is a different beast altogether. But thanks for the tip on marking it.

2013? Cylinder heads.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by sloinker

+1 forgot about the defective heads on 2011-2013 engines.

+1 cylinder head, oil filter housing and rockers.

Is the cylinder head issue widespread? The other car she wanted me to look at was an Equinox. Those engine problems are well known. Hoping I made the better choice.
confused2.gif

Last edited:
I thought most were replaced by now. With 164k on the clock though, anything could break, and it'd be called "wear and tear" or "it happens sometimes". I'd just drive it.

That is a lot of miles on that 2013 Grand Caravan, but if you can get it at the right price, it might be worth it. Nice thing about that mileage is it's probably had new ball joints/control arms, wheel bearings, etc.. Like said, the pentastar and 62TE trans is a nice combo, but if that trans hadn't had a service yet, who knows how long it will last. If you can smell oil burning, it could be a leaky oil filter housing. The block valley will hold like 1.5qts of oil before it starts to drip down. Other than that, your potential issues are what they are for ALL vehicles like this. Rear A/C line leaks. The wonderful FCA totally integrated power module (TIPM) just to name a few.

Of the 4 different minivans I owned, I found our 2013 Grand Caravan SE to be the best. We owned it for ~5yrs/80K miles. No problems other than a leaky PS pump when it was new and a failed W/S washer tank sending unit.

Originally Posted by JTK
Of the 4 different minivans I owned, I found our 2013 Grand Caravan SE to be the best. We owned it for ~5yrs/80K miles. No problems other than a leaky PS pump when it was new and a failed W/S washer tank sending unit.

So I take it your ‘13 wasn't plagued with any of the engine problems?

So I take it your ‘13 wasn't plagued with any of the engine problems?

Not at all. Loved that engine/trans combo.

Is the cylinder head issue widespread? The other car she wanted me to look at was an Equinox. Those engine problems are well known. Hoping I made the better choice.
confused2.gif

FCA claimed a very small number of all v6's sold in those years were affected. They also gave all of them, whether they an issue or not, a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty.

confused2.gif

FCA claimed a very small number of all v6's sold in those years were affected. They also gave all of them, whether they an issue or not, a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty.

I know some guys with 2012 Jeep Wranglers whose warranties were extended due to that issue, but not one of them has had it rear its head. They were also told it didn't affect a large number of them. I think it would have shown up by now if that mini van's engine had the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back