Bolt Carrier Group lubrication choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
but you must just be talking about the AR15 rifle?

Yes, sir - he is

here's the giveaway:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I put a drop on the gas rings

I have other military rifles with gas rings that aren't AR15s.
smile.gif
I use CLP on those bolt carriers.
[Linked Image]

I use this oil to lube my firearms if I'm not using the BALLISTOL.
I think it was member JRZH2 that suggested I try BALLISTOL. It stinks but works great on my firearms, ESPECIALLY my AR-15's BCG if I'm not using my M1 oil.
It also works great on wood, small moving parts, and other misc. items.
thumbsup2.gif

I do like to use ballistol for a gentle cleaner, and a non toxic preservant that I don't have to worry about getting on wood. It's great for a wipe down on guns as well as other metal items (tools).

But lubrication is primarily done by slip 2000 for me. I do keep a bit of grease and other products I've collected. I wouldnt be afraid of using ballistol if I was in a pinch or forgot to prep before the range. But I personally wouldn't make it a habit, as I suspect the basestocks and adds in slip are better. What makes ballistol great is it's purity and ability to be safe against the skin (believe slip is also non toxic), but I prefer slip for lubing.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I use this oil to lube my firearms if I'm not using the BALLISTOL.
I think it was member JRZH2 that suggested I try BALLISTOL. It stinks but works great on my firearms, ESPECIALLY my AR-15's BCG if I'm not using my M1 oil.
It also works great on wood, small moving parts, and other misc. items.
thumbsup2.gif

I do like to use ballistol for a gentle cleaner, and a non toxic preservant that I don't have to worry about getting on wood. It's great for a wipe down on guns as well as other metal items (tools).

But lubrication is primarily done by slip 2000 for me. I do keep a bit of grease and other products I've collected. I wouldnt be afraid of using ballistol if I was in a pinch or forgot to prep before the range. But I personally wouldn't make it a habit, as I suspect the basestocks and adds in slip are better. What makes ballistol great is it's purity and ability to be safe against the skin (believe slip is also non toxic), but I prefer slip for lubing.

A can of Ballistol is always in my range bag for a quick spray-down after shooting. I find it helps to loosen the residue a bit before I give a thorough cleaning later in the day. As you said I don't worry about getting it on any wood.

I've tried way too many weapon lubes over the years.

TW25B seems to do the best when firing. Not only on the AR platform but on pistols as well. Stays put and seems to last long. I use CLP as a wipe down for storage and put some in the bore immediately after shooting while still warm to start breaking down the fouling before thorough cleaning later.

So TW25B it is for me. I run it wet.

Originally Posted by Fastzntn
I've tried way too many weapon lubes over the years.

TW25B seems to do the best when firing. Not only on the AR platform but on pistols as well. Stays put and seems to last long. I use CLP as a wipe down for storage and put some in the bore immediately after shooting while still warm to start breaking down the fouling before thorough cleaning later.

So TW25B it is for me. I run it wet.

Same here re "too many."
Same here re post-shoot ... a squirt of a CLP and a bore snake are a decent habit, IMO. I do the same on my shotguns and .22s, too.
As my AR is fairly low demand re environments and workload, I'm going to give Lubriplate SFL-0 a try as its BCG lube. It's of similar consistency to TW25B, has a long established and very good rep, but cheaper than TW25B. It's been doing fine on my shotguns and handguns.

I switched to ALG's Go-Juice Lube and 0000 Grease almost 2 years ago and have no complaints. Wouldn't have even known about them had I not bought a trigger from their sister company, Geissele.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Inked

A can of Ballistol is always in my range bag for a quick spray-down after shooting. I find it helps to loosen the residue a bit before I give a thorough cleaning later in the day. As you said I don't worry about getting it on any wood.

I do the same spray down in the bore.

Man, ever since you suggested Ballistol to me, I use it on A LOT of things. When I lube my BCG's with it, I find I don't have to use my carbon scraper on the bolt. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't ALWAYS use it on them. My preferred lubricant is my mixture of M1 and 3 IN 1 oil. Sometimes it's just M1, sometimes it's just 3 IN 1. I sometimes use the Hoppes oil in my gun cleaning kit. Those that want to laugh at my 3 IN 1 application should try it sometimes. My grandfather introduced me to 3 IN 1 oil when he first started teaching me about firearms at age 6. The only other FOO FOO CLP that I own is GRIZZLY GREASE. I just can't see spending BOO KOO $$$$$$$$ on all of those high priced FOO FOO juices that I see almost EVERY shooter using, when my plain Jane lubes work for me.
wink.gif

My cousin owns a 2015 Silverado which holds 8 qts. of oil. He runs M1 5W30 oil along with a NAPA GOLD oil filter every 7.5K miles. He saves a couple of the old containers so I can drain them into my 1970's oil squirt can. I use this oil to lube my firearms if I'm not using the BALLISTOL.

I have been doing this exact things (10w-30 though!) for 10 years or more. Works great; free. Keep some CLP in a range bag instead of the gleaned oil container for cleaning and uses away from home.

To break in a new build , I run an AR wet , usually with Automatic Transmission Fluid . After break in , I use ATF in winter and engine oil in summer . 5W-30 synthetic would probably be OK , year round ?

Originally Posted by HouseTiger
Well, good old LSA has been working for the last 50+ years . . . and it's still around.

I used to use it , but the gun shop that sold it closed up . Have not found a local supplier So I switched to automotive products .

Man, ever since you suggested Ballistol to me, I use it on A LOT of things. When I lube my BCG's with it, I find I don't have to use my carbon scraper on the bolt. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't ALWAYS use it on them. My preferred lubricant is my mixture of M1 and 3 IN 1 oil. Sometimes it's just M1, sometimes it's just 3 IN 1. I sometimes use the Hoppes oil in my gun cleaning kit. Those that want to laugh at my 3 IN 1 application should try it sometimes. My grandfather introduced me to 3 IN 1 oil when he first started teaching me about firearms at age 6. The only other FOO FOO CLP that I own is GRIZZLY GREASE. I just can't see spending BOO KOO $$$$$$$$ on all of those high priced FOO FOO juices that I see almost EVERY shooter using, when my plain Jane lubes work for me.
wink.gif

As a kid , I used Mom's 3 in 1 oil , ( on guns ) that she used on her sewing machine . I called it sewing machine oil .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
To break in a new build , I run an AR wet , usually with Automatic Transmission Fluid . After break in , I use ATF in winter and engine oil in summer . 5W-30 synthetic would probably be OK , year round ?

This is essentially what I do, I have a quart of 5w30 Synpower just for guns. In the military I used 15w40 safetykleen over the CLP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back