No A/C, No Windows Down --> Fan Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of the reasons I got rid of my Sable... if the ambient was above 80, the air box (under the dash,with the heater core and evaporator) would Ice up to the point that the only air movement noticeable, was a whistling noise coming from the defroster vents atop the dash. shut off the A/C, switch to recirc until it melts down, by which time i was starting to sweat, turn on the A/C, repeat cycle every half hour or so...

that and the sloppy/slippy 1-2 shifts, and the ticking timebomb of a water pump just waiting to take the motor out. oh.. and the Rust...

It's literally over 150 degrees in the car right now. I never drive with the windows down, it's annoying and loud. Windows up and temperature set to what is comfortable, air always moving with A/C on.

A reminder to that year I baked cookies in the car

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4129063/Baking_cookies_in_Phoenix_-_in

Only 111 out today, so I decided not to try it again. Maybe we'll get another super hot day again. Might have to wait until next year.

If my wife isn't with me I always drive with the windows (or top) down. A little heat never bothered me.
When the wife is with me I run the AC for her if it's over 90. Below that we prefer the windows open.

Originally Posted by atikovi
90% of the time I rarely use the A/C on cars out of warranty with working air, for fear of wearing something out, no matter how uncomfortable.

The last time I had a A/C failure on a personal vehicle was probably in the Mid-90's on my 1985 C20 Suburban, But it had a failure prone Harrison R4 compressor.
All my current daily drivers have Denso compressors......I'm curious how far the one in the Chevy 2500 will go, Has over 400,000 miles now. Tightened up the clutch gap last year.

I'm going to say no on this one. I generally run the a/c if outside temps are above 72-76 (or if I'm warm or uncomfortable whatsoever). About the only exceptions are if I happen to feel like driving with the windows down, something I'll do some evenings or nice days, but I'll almost never do this if the temps are above 75-80. Even with all this, our a/c season is pretty short, just parts of May-September usually. The Camry is dark gray so it heats up quickly. I don't like the heat and hate to be hot!
smile.gif
By the way, I have done (unscientific) testing on the Camry and can't discern any difference whatsoever in fuel economy between using and not using the a/c. In fact, my best tanks (5 between 39-40.5 mpg) have seen heavy a/c use. I use it liberally and don't worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bud
My a.c. Is always on year around. Don't remember the last time I drove with my windows down. Maybe if I lived in New England.
thumbsup2.gif

Only time i drive without the AC is in the winter, getting old and hate the noise with windows down, plus it keeps the interior clean of all the road dust.
cheers3.gif

Honestly I can't imagine it.

At home I'm ok not running AC a ton.

In a car, with solar coming in strong through the glass, and the "greenhouse" effect, it's just downright uncomfortable, even when weather is in the 70s/80s if the sun is strong.

It's more doable if low humidity and nighttime, but I honestly prefer to breathe conditioned air in a car.

Again, not the case in a home for me... not a fan of forced conditioned air in a home.

And all the time I like it cooler rather than hotter, within reason.

I usually always roll the windows down in that kind of situation, nice breeze and maybe use the fan. Once it is above 83 or so the AC goes on most of the time especially in humid weather.

I actually prefer the fresh air of the windows down as opposed to AC, I hate using recirculate with AC, partially because it keeps stale air in the car, which isn't good for keeping you alert.

Last edited:
80's with no AC? No thanks. I keep my house at 71 degrees, my cars never come off full blast as cold as possible, and I usually have several fans circulating air in the house too.

I occasionally visit northern homes and they just bake in the heat of the summer inside without AC. So ungodly uncomfortable, and it makes zero, zero sense to me. A freaking AC unit is $100 at Walmart. Heck, I bought a window unit on clearance for $49 brand new.

In my personal opinion, you have to be some kind of stupid to not have AC in the summer.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

I occasionally visit northern homes and they just bake in the heat of the summer inside without AC. So ungodly uncomfortable, and it makes zero, zero sense to me. A freaking AC unit is $100 at Walmart. Heck, I bought a window unit on clearance for $49 brand new.

In my personal opinion, you have to be some kind of stupid to not have AC in the summer.

Depends on where ya live. It rarely gets to and stays above 90f around here. Maybe late August into September I might see some consecutive mid 90's and that's considered a heat wave ...‚. We just spent 5dys at the lake camping and 2 of the 5dys it was in the 50's with a stiff wind on the water. Too [censored] cold to be out there (if not fishing). On the flip side, i can see weeks of sub freezing overnight temps in the winter. (hence why I can't run 10w30 year round like I'd like to)

Driving early A.M. is always "interesting" in the winter....‚

Last edited:
No AC in my car - window down, arm out the window. Been doing it that way for 40 years, no point in turning all sissy now.

Originally Posted by Silk
No AC in my car - window down, arm out the window. Been doing it that way for 40 years, no point in turning all sissy now.

Coming from someone in a country known for it's temperate climate.

Originally Posted by Silk

That's me all the way! I only use the ac if a passenger wants it on. I prefer windows down,top open,arm out the window using my hand like an airplane going up and down with the wind!!
laugh.gif

I find the wind noise is annoying on the highway. 45mph is about my limit, and even then, not for a long time--thus I don't drive much with the window(s) down. If I have a/c I'm using it. The system could age out from not being used (seals dry up or whatever), so, might as well use it.

Around town or up to say 50mph. i have windows down, arm out . I got the killer left arm tan to prove it. On the highway keep the DS window down ~1"and the PS rear down ~1"

If you need temp set to low 70's and AC cranked all the time you have a health issue. You should harden your body to your environment. This is an energy waste. Some of my coworkers do this set the house ac at a temp likely 3-5 degrees lower than where they would set the heat on the cold days. Really stupid. We all share this energy so - no wasting!

AC on in car for long trips. if high dewpoint above 70 and temps above say 87.

Mini heatwave this week starting today.

Sorry, typo in my OP. I meant to say that I keep the house in the low 80s and use the window units to keep the humidity in the low 40's, high 30's, which is perfectly comfortable.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
80's with no AC? No thanks. I keep my house at 71 degrees, my cars never come off full blast as cold as possible, and I usually have several fans circulating air in the house too.

I tried mastering the art of moving window fans around and failed found that it was a waste of time when it's hot out. The solar radiation added too much to the house to keep temps in the living room, for instance, comfortable, even if it was 78F outside (just making that number up for demonstration purposes). Add to that any sort of humidity and it was very uncomfortable.

Now, I don't even attempt ambient air circ unless one or more of the following conditions are met:

1. It's windy outside

2. It's in the low 70's F or cooler

3. Humidity is low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back