Emailed Quaker State and they wouldn't give me their NOACKs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Imp4
It's a notably variable test, that is demonstrably non-repeatable from test rig to test rig.

I suspect that, and perhaps base stock interchangeability, as the reasons to not report it overly publicly. They show one result and PQIA shows another (although they're apparently not doing it now, either) and then you have a mess. When PYB showed a much lower Noack than reported, everyone was happy. If it were reversed, but still within specs, email boxes would overflow with BITOG outrage.
wink.gif

GumbyJarvis: I'm not sure. All the companies seem to release some and withhold others. I don't think it's something pernicious, just a legacy of different people overseeing data sheets over different periods. Heck, look at what Patman mentioned. Sometimes, all it matters is who answers the email or the telephone. One person will act like you're asking for the recipe, another will be confused, and then next will hand the information out.

Good points. They all seem to want some wiggle room.

Culled from Pennzoil Q&As dated 05/20/18...

API SN Plus & 0W16 Q%A
12. NOACK is not declared because of the "inherent variability of the test."

Same goes for HTHS from a couple of questions later.

Originally Posted by ad244
NOACKS

Pennzoil guy does spell it in all caps in their Q&A.

Of course, they can't spell "Fischer-Tropsch,"
so they say "GTL."

grin.gif

Many mass-marketed oils have multiple sources and formulations, even in the same packaging. So what might be a number for the product sold on the east coast might be a different number for the product sourced from another refinery on the west coast. Etc.

I have never been able to get specific information from Pennzoil, QS, or anything else Shell. I hate the word "proprietary." It's a word that is gauranteed to send me out the door to the competition.

Topic has run it's course when it becomes about spelling with capital letters or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back