My how times have changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool..
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Wow. It's always pretty cool to see the cost of things from so many years ago. I remember when those cars were new.

That ad ran just a few weeks before the Mustang was unveiled at the NY World's Fair in April 1964.

Thanks Mad_Hatter.

I remember a friend of mine was given a Galaxie, it had been sitting for several years. Somehow he was able to get it started, but it had no brakes, put in in drive and it moved a few feet but then it wouldn't stop. Slammed it into park to stop it. Gave up after that and he abandoned that project.

My Dad drove a Borgward for a while. 4 on the tree. A bit weird shifting but actually was a pretty nice car.

Originally Posted by hatt
My parents had one of them Galaxie 500s with a 390.

My mom had one, a convertible, that she brought brand new. She said it was something like $6,000 up here brand new.

Thanks, Mad_Hatter. My family was Ford from the time there were Fords, all of those cars were quite familiar to me in my youth.

Except the Bordward.

Originally Posted by Garak

My mom had one, a convertible, that she brought brand new. She said it was something like $6,000 up here brand new.

My mom always talked about how fast that car was. Of course a 4 banger Camry would probably smoke it these days.

They were pretty good for the day. I got to drive it in the late 1980s one time, and it had a lot more performance than almost anything produced by Detroit (or Japan) in that decade. It was like a dragster compared to the taxis, much less my 2.3 L LTD.

Originally Posted by fcjeep

That ad ran just a few weeks before the Mustang was unveiled at the NY World's Fair in April 1964.

Thanks Mad_Hatter.

YW..ðŸ‘
Originally Posted by clinebarger
1960 Chevrolet convertible coupe for $1,495.......You couldn't buy the trim for that car today at $1,500.

Right!..63 Impala can run ya 30, 40 or even 50g's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I remember a friend of mine was given a Galaxie, it had been sitting for several years. Somehow he was able to get it started, but it had no brakes, put in in drive and it moved a few feet but then it wouldn't stop. Slammed it into park to stop it. Gave up after that and he abandoned that project.

Friend of mine is restoring/hot rodding a 67 500 right now... it's looking sweeeeet!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak

My mom always talked about how fast that car was. Of course a 4 banger Camry would probably smoke it these days.

According to Automobile-catalog.com performance data a '63 Galaxie 390 came with 300 hp. They also report a theoretical 0-60 of 7.1 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back