Annual Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to doing this spread out over a few days since it was so hot out. Plus could use another car while it sat in the garage.

Rain-X Pre-wash gel for bug and tar removal. Did a good job, from WM for $4.27.

Car wash with Dollar Tree wash. Not too bad for a buck and did a good job cleaning.

Stoner's Tarminator for bug and tar removal.

The cowl area by wipers was very faded and used some Megs Back to Black. Also applied to grille area, top and bottom ones.

Turtle Wax Scratch & Swirl Remover on a few blemishes from WM for $2.50, did a good job, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Applied Duragloss PBA(pre-bonding agent) via a cheapy 6" $20 wax spreader from WM and a microfiber bonnet. Did not buff off per the directions.

Applied Duragloss #111 via the wax spreader and mf bonnet. Let sit for an hour before buffing off. Cured for 24 before the next step.

Sprayed with Duragloss Aquawax.

Pictures taken today. I spot clayed some areas. Need to get some oem wheel covers for pass. side. 2005 Matrix with 155k miles. Used daily and sits outside all the time.

IMG_20190724_070359.jpg

IMG_20190724_093416.jpg

IMG_20190724_095111.jpg

IMG_20190724_093237.jpg

IMG_20190724_081421.jpg

IMG_20190724_070337.jpg

IMG_20190724_070328.jpg

The Duragloss routine you've used here has proven itself many times for me...tried and true.

Originally Posted by Delta
Looks good Satin! Reminds me I need to stop being lazy and do the GTI and Camry. Was too darn hot this week though!

I agree.

After a long day at the office, nothing is more appealing than a snooze.
sleep.gif

And by the weekend, who has time for detailing when the GF is around and it's time for female-related shenanigans.

Its funny, the word "shenanigans" starts with "she" not "he".
Clearly there's a reason for this an I'm willing to bet it's because females are at the root cause of most nonsense.
27.gif

SatinSilver The cowl area by wipers was very faded and used some Megs Back to Black. Also applied to grille area said:
Looks great SatinSilver. Your hard work shows!

question... I have often wondered about what to use for all the exterior black hard plastic such as around windows, the cowl areas, bumper luggage guards and the like. What do you plan on using for a maintenance product? Meguiars recommended their #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner Conditioner product which I know has been around for decades. Can the new ceramic coatings be used? Just curious if you have thought about maintenance of those areas now.

I'm surprised by how clear your plastic headlights are at this point. Have you done anything to them over the years or using anything on them?

Originally Posted by Cressida
I'm surprised by how clear your plastic headlights are at this point. Have you done anything to them over the years or using anything on them?

Thank you for the comments everyone!
smile.gif

Yes, a year ago I used the heavy duty Meguiars headlight restoration kit which includes the headlight sealant spray. They did start to yellow a bit before the year was up. And there are scratches that can be seen close up. The year prior I used the Mother's resto kit. Both are ok or maybe I didn't use them correctly. Going forward I will prob try the Phillips kit since that has excellent reviews. Walmart TLE has a service that restores them for $30. Then I'll focus on keeping them protected properly.

This year I just used Sprayway glass cleaner on them, followed by the Duragloss PBA (pre-bonding agent) that I used on the paint, then Duragloss #111 for protection. Sprayway seems to get the yellow out which I read about before. Of course putting on some good protection is vital immediately afterwards.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
question... I have often wondered about what to use for all the exterior black hard plastic such as around windows, the cowl areas, bumper luggage guards and the like. What do you plan on using for a maintenance product? Meguiars recommended their #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner Conditioner product which I know has been around for decades. Can the new ceramic coatings be used?

Having an almost 15 year old car that sits outside all the time is kind of challenge to keep looking good. Last year I used Mother's Back to Black which didn't last long and was sticky. Which attracted all the gunk in the air. The Megs stuff isn't nearly as sticky and seems to have a built in clear coat. Since the directions say to mask off the paint or use rubbing alcohol to wipe off overspray on the paint. So I had the rubbing alcohol ready to go and glad I did. The rubbing alc easily removed it.

I have Ultima waterless wash concentrate that includes some polycharger booster(sealant) to clean and protect the trim and paint. I will also use Duragloss Aquawax on it for additional protection. Yes, ceramics can be used but they are pricey. Below is some additional info about them from a professional that I emailed. I may consider them in the future esp if the above doesn't last.

Originally Posted by 123abc
I use Black Wow Pro and Solution Finish a lot at my shops, my own cars get Solution Finish followed by C.Quartz DLUX on top. If you can wait till the next day to top the Solution Finish, it is best. This is not cheap stuff and I don't usually post a whole lot about the products I use as many are expensive and lots of people are looking for something that will do the job on the "cheap". Thus why I push Duragloss so much, as it works so well and is MUCH better than a lot of the OTC products at a similar price point.

Last edited:
"Thus why I push Duragloss so much, as it works so well and is MUCH better than a lot of the OTC products at a similar price point."

Great products.

It's been a month since I sealed it and haven't washed it yet. Had some rain and took these pictures afterwards. I have some Zaino AIO that I'd like to apply and try out in a few months. Probably in October sometime.

IMG_20190815_172048.jpg

IMG_20190815_172038.jpg

IMG_20190815_172033.jpg

Glad the finish is holding up for you. I never care if it rains soon after a wax job... It's always nice to see the effort of your hard work.

Nice job. I like the Matrix better now than when they came out.

Don't worry about the hub caps. Take the other two off and tell people you just spent $2500 on black chrome wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back