Does oil dissolve plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I double bagged my used oil filters using plastic bags. When I went to drop them off at the auto parts store oil had leaked through both bags. Does motor oil dissolve plastic?

I was using plastic grocery bags. Think I will use Ziploc instead. Thanks

It'll EAT plastic grocery bags, and quick, too. PET 2 liter bottles seem to handle oil OK, though, I've never tried Ziploc bags. The polypropylene black plastic that the black drain pans & containers is also good.

I have carried spare trailer hubs in freezer bags for years … pretty oily …
Hope my 6 gallons of PG has the right bladder … LoL

Most modern shopping bags are made of HDPE, the same type plastic oil bottles are made from.

We once tried storing contaminated gasoline in an old cottage cheese container, probably (unlike most modern ones) made of polystyrene. Bad idea.

I'm in California. Probably get in trouble if I just tossed in the trash

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Why not toss them in the trash after draining?

They might not take your garbage. Mine won't if they see auto fluids in there...then I'd have to pay for them to come back out.

Does California have trash inspection now? Pour oil out of filter. Place filter in plastic grocery bags 2 or 3 times. Place in center of trash bag. What about a half bottle of shampoo? Leftover soup?

Does California have trash inspection now?

Do the suburbs of D.C. use humans or machines to collect garbage? My garbage is collected by an actual person, riding on the back of the truck.. just like they used to do.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Does California have trash inspection now?

Do the suburbs of D.C. use humans or machines to collect garbage? My garbage is collected by an actual person, riding on the back of the truck.. just like they used to do.

You must be very rural. Automated trucks have been running for many years now.

Why not recycle if you can? It's encouraged in our county to recycle oil filters

no one here recycles oil filters.. so its hard to recycle them.

I do let them drain for a month or 2 before tossing.

i keep a plastic bucket in the garage. Every 2 years or so when its full of oil filters, i take the whole bucket to the recycle center. I give them the bucket and buy another at wal mart for a couple of bucks.

In reply to Rand post:
"no one here recycles oil filters.. so its hard to recycle them.

I do let them drain for a month or 2 before tossing."

Where do you dispose of your oil? Any oil change shop or garage that does oil change is required to accept used oil & filters from DIY guys I think.

Last edited:
Im in centtral california. The city recycling program provides gallon jugs and plastic bags. Used oil in the jug, filter in the bag. Put it on the curb on trash day, gets picked up by the truck that takes recyclables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back