Flying: Do you print or email your boarding pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
I use the app from the airline. It's seamless. At some overseas destinations it does help to have a hard copy in my quick grab bag. Not everyone has entered the 21st century.

Sure … on some long hauls they want to pre check Passports and then they mark your boarding pass …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by PimTac
I use the app from the airline. It's seamless. At some overseas destinations it does help to have a hard copy in my quick grab bag. Not everyone has entered the 21st century.

Sure … on some long hauls they want to pre check Passports and then they mark your boarding pass …

Yep. Some locations have a final security check at the gate. A real pain, especially if the aircraft was a full 744. Leaving the gate area to use the rest room meant leaving your passport and boarding pass at the gate counter and then going through that security check again.

Originally Posted by ZZman
On the way to my daughter's house in Colorado last week I printed my boarding pass. On the way home I decided to email it to my phone. The funny thing is the bar code would not show on my Android phone but did on my daughter's IPhone when I forwarded the email to her. Spirit said it might have trouble showing on an Android or Windows device. Are you kidding me? That is a major issue that should be fixed!

Neither. I use the phone app which will show the code for scanning. I fly a good bit for business (75k miles per year) and try to stick to one airline to gain loyalty points.

I almost always have one printed out, but I'll sometimes have my boarding pass available in every possible form including a home printout, airport thermal, on an airline app, saved to Apple Wallet, mobile airline website (from a text message), etc.

The one thing I've noticed about most airport kiosks is that one can scan an existing boarding pass there. It might be useful to check in baggage and even print our an official receipt. I've also reprinted boarding passes in the airport stock. One time I got bored and I printed/reprinted my boarding pass 5 times. I think it was Las Vegas where they've got those kiosks at some hotels on The Strip, at the consolidated car rental facility, and obviously at the airport terminals.

Sometimes I've used one form of boarding pass at TSA and used another one to board. Nobody really cares.

I never use my phone as boarding pass, some earlier phones and scanners have problem reading the screen, at least 2 years ago. The risk is too high if my phone ran out of batteries, I usually print in the airport using the self check kiosk.

With kids and economy tickets that can't assign seats early, these days I always have to get another set of passes at the gate.

Last edited:
If I am travelling alone I use the iPhone Wallet, so have it on my phone - this has never failed to scan or be available.

If I am travelling with my family I get printed passes at the airport - having to wrangle kids through the various checkpoints is far easier if they have a paper boarding pass each. Even then I will have all passes on my phone as well, as contingency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back