Is this Terrain worth a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am helping my parents in their car search, they are looking for a used midsized "cute ute". I came across this Terrain this evening. It is a 2016 with 38,000 miles. Two things concern me though, no oil change history on the "car fax" and it is listed as a "loan/lien" vehicle.

The car looks clean, and is a one owner. What do you all think?

Terrain

Personally I dont like GMC or Chevy. I would have them select a few good reliable models they like and go test drive them. Do they like models like Mazda CX3/cx5, rav4, crv, forester? If bigger, venza. I snagged a 2015 venza for 20k cdn with 25k miles. Gas mileage in city is 18-19mpg with the v6 but hwy is 25+. Much more reliable than the GMC terrain.

Ps. If its the same 2.4 as the Buick Regal 2011, id steer clear. My friends regal has been whats taken him off american cars. Trans needed a rebuilt, engine needed a complete teardown, continual issues. Recently..resonator. Again..im not sure its same engine...

Last edited:
I would take the 4cyl over the V-WayToBigForThisEngineBay6. I don't see a problem with no oil changes on the car fax. A lot of places don't report and it could have easily been DIY'd. Just make sure the engine looks clean.

People like to whine about the 2.4 but from what I have seen in the Cobalt community they are reliable motors. Not sure of the trans though - look into that.

From what I read the earlier model 2.4's had a lot of problems, but I don't see much for the 2016-2017 models. Again, thats just from what I have read.

I used to drive them at work. Didn't really care for them but im not a fan of most gm vehicles. I thought they were kind of cheap vs the competition.

Coworker just bought a used one afew months ago. He bought it from a local dealership. He absolutely hates it. Says it's heavy on gas and really it's not particularly comfortable and has already had it back in the shop on several occasions for various reasons.
If your parents have a $16,000 budget plus or minus, if they have room to squeeze it up to 20,000, I've seen the new RAV4 on sale for that amount, you may be able to get any near new Honda CRV For that price.

A WAY better choice:

https://www.allenturnerhyundai.com/...yundai-Tucson-SE-Pensacola-FL/3401226343

Greg, Please take your blinders off and just go sit in one. Humor me
grin2.gif

I've owned a number of GM products since 2000. Can't say any of them were dogs, but the level of reliability between them and my HyunKias is notable. Each of them , with the exception of a '97 Cavalier ran me more than a thousand dollars of dumb repairs. Each of the HyunKias has been trouble free. Can't say I'd never buy another GM product but I'd certainly think twice before pulling the trigger. Given the choice of the Tucson referenced above and a Terrain, I wouldn't even consider the GMC.

Last edited:
My father in law had one with the 4 cylinder. It was such a nightmare he bought a Dodge Journey (against my wishes), if that says anything. He says the v6 Journey gets better fuel economy than his Terrain ever did.

Last edited:
Check out carcomplaints.com with anything you are looking at. Consumers reports I've found to me an absolute joke considering they completely gloss over the grand Hyundai Theta2 debacle. Same with JD Powers, nothing but promotional crap.

Hate to say it but I'd grab a RAV and bite that bullet . My daughter has a 16 it's fine with the 2.5 well tried and true engine and tranny. I know a few others with them too no complaints. Fair gas mileage too 28-30 mixed and fine in the snow. Everybody wants the RAVS too so they command a high price. Plenty of passing power unless you're an idiot.
Buying used is a real crap shoot these days with all the questionable crap out there. Tiny engines boosted to placate the EPA CAFE demands all pretty new with little
Don't be tempted by the price tag of Hyundai/ Kia either, anything.with that Theta2 4 banger OR ......🥺.YOU 🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸Be sorry ...💸💸💸💸💸💸💸💸.

I drive the tuscon at work and i like it way better than the terrain. I think the tuscon is more comfortable. The Terrain seats are pretty hard if i can recall. Yes Hyundai did have engine problems something about leaving sand in the engine when manufactured i cant quite recall but they have always been good to my customers about making the engine warranty claim easy.

Last edited:
No first hand experience but I've heard bad reports about reliability of the terrain. I'm going to have to go with others that recommended a Rav 4 or a Mazda.

No Jeep's either.

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
Coworker just bought a used one afew months ago. He bought it from a local dealership. He absolutely hates it. Says it's heavy on gas and really it's not particularly comfortable and has already had it back in the shop on several occasions for various reasons.
If your parents have a $16,000 budget plus or minus, if they have room to squeeze it up to 20,000, I've seen the new RAV4 on sale for that amount, you may be able to get any near new Honda CRV For that price.

What year did your coworker get? Was it a pre-2016? Their budget is pretty set in stone, so going up to $20,000 isn't an option. We did look at a 2015 RAV4, my mother liked the looks of the interior but didn't care for the choppy ride. I know 2016 models received a more compliant suspension but finding a RAV4 in the price range they want to pay is proving very difficult.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
A WAY better choice:

https://www.allenturnerhyundai.com/...yundai-Tucson-SE-Pensacola-FL/3401226343

Greg, Please take your blinders off and just go sit in one. Humor me
grin2.gif

Even a little digging shows the 2.0 is experiencing engine failures, including those in the Tucson. I'm not saying it would happen to us, but why go out and purchase a vehicle with a known problem of that magnitude. I'm glad your 2.4 had served you well. I have driven and seen many Kia / Hyundai products and have found them to be smooth, well rounded vehicles over all. However, we all know no small number of 2.0 and 2.4 Hyundai / Kia motors experience engine failure. Until they can prove they have fixed whatever is causing these failures, we will stay away.

Was doing some web surfing on LSPI … the Korean cars were mentioned a few times.
Have some bit the bullet that way ?

LSPI is a turbo thing.

We've owned the 2014 RAV since new, no problems in 60k miles. Never have minded the ride, but we didn't expect plush, only complaint is road noise on certain kinds of pavement. The new Conti tires helped both a little bit. We've done lots of 8 hour driving days with no pains.

You haven't shared the go/no go parameters of your parents you have to work within other than something less than $20k.

We've had two terrains, a 14 and a 17. Both on lease, both the 2.4. Total of 100k between them. Never went back to the dealer for anything.

Power is a bit lacking, but fuel economy was good, 30+ on the highway. No issues as I mentioned. Didn't LOVE them, but they served us well.

We needed more room and our lease was up so we just picked up a 19 Acadia. Hope it serves us as well as the terrains did.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I would take the 4cyl over the V-WayToBigForThisEngineBay6. I don't see a problem with no oil changes on the car fax. A lot of places don't report and it could have easily been DIY'd. Just make sure the engine looks clean.

4cyl over a v6
lol.gif
, this was my wifes 2015 Terrain DENALI before it was traded in on her 2017 Regal GS, great SUV with the 3.6 VVT. the 4cyl was a dog.

IMG_1022.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back