Feedback about the '16 Chevy Malibu Hybrid, The Rarest of the Rare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took the plunge, and bought a used, one owner, '16 Chevy Malibu Hybrid. My son and I split the $16,000 cost (he is the primary driver). 50,000 miles on the odometer. One lesson I have learned, is car depreciation is your friend - as long as you are not the first owner!

The goal is to pile on the miles for the next 10 - 15 years, before retiring it. We thought Mid sized cars give a crash safety edge, that you don't get in a Prius size car.

I am so accustomed to seeing feedback from Prius, Camry and Fusion Hybrid owners, I am seeking feedback from folks with knowledge of the '16 - '19 Malibu Hybrid, from a reliability and fuel economy standpoint. I am finding it hard to come across other owners of this model.

Full disclosure, my other son is driving a 2010 Fusion Hybrid with just under 200,000 miles on it. (And yes, the hybrid battery is original, and showing NO signs of quitting - it's averaging 39 mpg).

Initial Malibu Hybrid gauge mpg figures we have seen, average between 42 - 47 mpg. That's great hedge against spiking gas prices over the next 10 years. It will be getting Mobil 1 0W20EP from my stash.

I didn't even know a malibu hybrid was a thing. Post some specs or pic please

Prius owner checking in: Good Job.

You're in TN and not subject to the salt we get up here but I hate having older chevys with EVAP issues, rocker rust, brake line rust, and all the dumb stuff they could have solved by choosing better materials.

Running it vs something else is how to get your cash back, and the right course of action.

MIL had a 2013 Lacrosse hybrid with the 2.4-- that was an odd duck. It would "stall" when you stopped in drive only to restart when you put it in "park" to turn the key off. She hit a tree at 50 mph and lived through it. The car, oddly, caught fire in the wreck.

That is a very interesting and rare car. It is essentially a 2nd generation Chevy Volt with a small battery. The good news is... it will get great mileage and be pretty zippy around town. The downside is... it is an extremely complex vehicle and if it ever needs repair... well, you know. However, the Volt, both first gen (I have one) and 2nd gen have proven to be very reliable cars. So, chances are, your Malibu will give you many happy miles.

If you want to learn about the drive train, head over to gm-volt dot com and go the the 2nd Generation forum.

These cars do seem pretty rare.
You see Fusion hybrids all the time but you don't see many Malibu Hybrids.
This car should work well for your use.
To elj, with our Accord, you'd normally be in EV mode when you shut the car off and you also don't need to select park.
All you need do is hit the power button to shut the car down and it automatically engages park.
Just how park works in this drivetrain IDK, since there is no conventional transmission.

Originally Posted by macarose
Here you go. Best reviews anywhere.

https://www.alexonautos.com/2016-chevrolet-malibu-hybrid-review/

And here's the long-term reliability history for the Malibu

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Chevrolet_Malibu.html

For the size this model has exceptional fuel economy. However you will want to be vigilant with transmission fluid changes because the cost of replacing it won't be cheap due to its rarity.

Thanks for posting. That review is spot on! Mine is even the same color as the one in the review. Mid 40 mpg real world figures appears to be the norm.

GM recommends transmission fluid changes at 150,000 mile intervals. We believe in 50,000 mile intervals, due to the potential cost of replacing this one. We have already found a local transmission shop to do a transmission drain and fill for less than $90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back