Replace Worn OEM Tire w/ New OEM Tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, the manufacturer may be concerned about things that I may not be concerned about.

They might be trying to reduce road noise and increase fuel economy, while maintaining a smooth ride.

I might be concerned about wet and snow traction, handling, and little else.

So... I'd be fooling myself to go back to the OEM tire... simply because the manufacturer put X amount of dollars into deciding to use that particular tire.

The funny thing is, the same vehicles may be rolling off the exact same assembly line with different tires. I have seen, Suburbans for instance, come with different 18" tires for the same model year - Goodyear Wrangler and Bridgestone Dueler H/L specifically. I don't know what that translates to cost or performance wise, but it does happen. So if you were to replace the tires on a Suburban equipped with Goodyears from the factory with Bridgestones, do you "lose" all the "benefits" because that particular vehicle was "designed" with Goodyears in mind?!

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
The funny thing is, the same vehicles may be rolling off the exact same assembly line with different tires. I have seen, Suburbans for instance, come with different 18" tires for the same model year - Goodyear Wrangler and Bridgestone Dueler H/L specifically. I don't know what that translates to cost or performance wise, but it does happen. So if you were to replace the tires on a Suburban equipped with Goodyears from the factory with Bridgestones, do you "lose" all the "benefits" because that particular vehicle was "designed" with Goodyears in mind?!

No.

During the qualification process, the engineers get the tires to perform as nearly identical as they can. It takes several rounds of testing to get them to do that, but they eventually get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back