Just Upgraded to 100Mbps Broadband @ 24.95/mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, late to the 100mb game (10mb upload) but was happy with the 30mbps for $30 a month deal we had. Cable broadband from Wide Open West. So the contract period expired and they'd jacked the 30mb service to $40/mo which was unacceptable when local competition was offering 100mbps @ $44.95/mo special promo. After crying to WOW about it they put us in a two yr agreement for 100mbps download 10mbps upload for $24.95/mo 1st yr then $44.95 2nd yr (avg $34.95/yr). Internet only and no add'l fees or taxes. We do OTA and streaming on a Roku 4K television and do not do land line phone either, just cellular.

I guess this is a good deal?

We don't do much in the way of cellular mobile data so we didn't consider any of the wireless unlimited data plans, both currently with Republic Wireless and average about $20/month bill on each phone (Moto X2 and Moto X4).

Have you done a speed test to confirm you're getting it? My 100 mbps is "up to" and comes in around 30.

Yeah, it hits over 90 but never shows full 100. upside always hits 10-11 though. I checked router to make sure QOS wasn't interfering.

I have 400 mbps and pay $90/mo. Need it for 5 people and video steaming. I was promised 400 mbps and when it came in 30 mbps I called and told them I was paying for 200 before and had better than this. They told me we don't guarantee wifi speed and I said I understand and might not expect 400 but definitely better than 30. The day before I was getting 480.
They did something from their and magic it was back to 480. Whenever I leave for a weeks vacation and come back it is always throttled back and I don't know why but suspect they monitor usage and adjust when they can.

That is a good price compared to here in AZ. I pay $88 total for Cox, internet only (have Ooma for home phone at $5 per month). They did just up the speed to 150 "at no charge" so I suspect my rate will go up next year "due to the increased cost of service and maintenance". I just did a speed check: ping - 7, 177 down, 10.77 up. Basically only two choices: Cox and Century Link.

I pay $9.95/month total for Xfinity internet at 15 megs... actual speed is about 17 megs. This is better than my last house that could only get DSL at 10 megs for $50 a month.

I cut cable and phone and just use Amazon prime and Netflix for watching tv, which I hardly ever do any more. Fine by me.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Yeah, it hits over 90 but never shows full 100. upside always hits 10-11 though. I checked router to make sure QOS wasn't interfering.

Make sure your router has 1Gb WAN, and LAN ports (unless LAN exclusively used over wifi better than 100Mb), and the modem a 1Gb port too... seems counter-intuitive but 100Mb ports will reduce your 100Mb ISP plan to a bit lower. Then again it could just be internet or speed-test-server congestion.

Whether that's a good price is highly locational, what the competition in the area is offering. You were definitely right to negotiate for more than 30Mb for $40.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Make sure your router has 1Gb WAN, and LAN ports (unless LAN exclusively used over wifi better than 100Mb), and the modem a 1Gb port too... seems counter-intuitive but 100Mb ports will reduce your 100Mb ISP plan to a bit lower. Then again it could just be internet or speed-test-server congestion.

Whether that's a good price is highly locational, what the competition in the area is offering. You were definitely right to negotiate for more than 30Mb for $40.

I absolutely can confirm... going through our 10/100 switch we'd get 65-75mbps down. Bypassing the switch we get the full speed, even on WiFi.

71462B71-1CE4-4796-9281-CEFE2A9788EF.jpeg

Yeah, need to upgrade our router. TPLink C59, the LAN ports are 100mb. It will throw up to 800mb or something over 5ghz wifi but the hard wire ports are too slow.

You must have competition locally, a great price. Is went from 5 to 10 to 25 to 50 to 75 then 150. I jumps 5 to 50 were noticeable but after that except downloads difference is not that noticeable at all.

Our bill I pass indirectly along to client(remote IT worker) is $80/month for 150/5 but actually get 175/6.

My typically 115 Mbps service was down to 10. I found that I needed to reboot the cable modem. It's now at 120+!.

My Windstream DSL was upgraded for free to 25/down 1.4 up about 18 months age...but last week I found it has been changed to this:

[Linked Image from speedtest.net]

Multiple speed tests have all been 60/10 or better. There has been no notice of any kind. I expect this too was a free upgrade as I am on a price-for-life of $69.95 with bundled POTS phone which after all taxes-fees comes out to approx $96 per month.
It has been very stable so far.

GrtArtiste

I have been working on WIFI for a church camp. All Unifi equipment and 50Mb internet from Comcast. (Now 75Mb).
The max over the summer was 62 devices online at once. Each device is throttled at 10Mb. No one complained about being throttled. Lots of people streaming Netflix. Looking at the management application, I never saw the usage go to 50Mb. Very close but not to 50Mb.

The net is in many cases people are not close to using the bandwidth they are paying for in my estimation.

When you consider than I pay about $100 a month for about 15 MBPS with a data cap on satellite it's astounding. Most of the country does not have cable TV or Internet. Yet, I bet most of the population doesn't know that.

Originally Posted by Ben Boyle
When you consider than I pay about $100 a month for about 15 MBPS with a data cap on satellite it's astounding. Most of the country does not have cable TV or Internet. Yet, I bet most of the population doesn't know that.

I am not sure I agree. In 2014 78% of US households have a high speed internet connection according to the US Census.
Now the households without high speed internet are probably in the interior sections of the country, not the coastal sections.

I'm paying $54.95/month for 120 mbps. We have 2 options when it comes to internet around here. Comcast and Comcast. With no competition, they set the price at whatever they want.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I'm paying $54.95/month for 120 mbps. We have 2 options when it comes to internet around here. Comcast and Comcast. With no competition, they set the price at whatever they want.

Church camp in CT has Comcast 75 Mbs for triple what you are paying. It's listed as a "business class" account. What a rip. It's not even fiber. Plain old coax.

Last edited:
I got Windstream and it sucks but here is the results from speed test. Windstream is the only provider in my area besides hughs net.
PING MS -- 20
DOWNLOAD Mbps --- 8.64
UPLOAD Mbps --- 0.83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back