AC cold and drivers side...warm on passenger side

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 1999 oldmosbole 88 with the V6 3800. Great running car. No joking...it only has 74000 miles on it. So as the title states, the AC blows cold out of the 2 drivers side vents but blows warm out of the 2 passenger side vents. I've never experience this before. Any ideas what this problem could be? And do you think it's a large repair bill?

Does it have dual climate control?

Sounds like the blend door for the passenger side is bad.

My grandparent's Trailblazer did this. Was a big repair bill for it to replace the motor but was easy to reach under and unplug the electrical connector, which made it default to 100% cold.

I had that exact problem a few years ago. I found out that low refrigerant causes that to happen. It made no sense to me but I added some and all was good again.

Both answers given so far - refrigerant and blend doors may be correct.

It's likelynwith such low miles that it may still be running R-12. If so, it's viable to find it and charge it but many shops don't do so any longer. Getting gauges on it both when fully cold and the same temperature as ambient, and when running with AC on will provide insight.

I'd argue blend door (may be vacuum or electrically operated) if it has a dual zone climate control.

99 should definitely be 134a.

If the car has only 1 control for temperature (both sides), then check the charge level. Many vehicles will do that when low on refrigerant

Look at it this way: if the refrigerant is low there is only enough evaporation going on to cool whichever half of the evaporator that closest to the expansion valve. The other half stays warm. The way the ducting is designed carries this to the car. My BMW is the exact same; driver's side is warmer if it's low.

I had it on my Suburban the opposite way. The driver's side was hot. In MY case it was the blend door actuator.

I would be willing to bet that it has dual climate control and the blend door actuator behind the glove box has failed or the little rod that connects the actuator to the door has come loose for some reason. Look behind the glove box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back