Border Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever wonder what Oil The Border Partol trucks use? I have :0

Last edited:
Actually, it's a good question. In South Florida, some departments use a bulk 10W-40 oil in everything. Despite the manufacturer specifying 5W-20.

Originally Posted by CT8
Lowest priced bidder.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heat and lots and lots of idling time for sure.

No idea on the oil used, though air filters might be more important on the southern end.

My old boss had a brother who worked BP in the north. They had a specific allotment of fuel for ATVs and snowmobiles each month. Once that was gone, no more patrolling. He spent a LOT of time detailing his truck, to the point that he eventually did the underside!

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Tough job and equipment takes a beating. Do wonder how often the motor pool changes the oil and how many hours before replacement.

5K miles at the recommended grade and recommended OEM spec with lowest bidder bulk.

I retired from a State Division of Prisons. Several of the pickup trucks we had were assigned as Perimeter Patrol Vehicles (PPVs). The PPVs ran the whole 12-hour shift, until shift change. Even then, they didn't cut the engine off, Just switched Officers. About 99 percent of the time was idling, with an occasional slow drive to the next post during rotation. Even with all that idling, the knuckleheads at the Capitol insisted that we have the oil changed every 5000 miles. We finally got them to at least allow us to use synthetic oil. Every few days, they cut the engine off and checked the oil. I doubt that Border Patrol is that hard on a vehicle, but I imagine life as a Border Patrol vehicle is pretty grueling. I wouldn't buy one used. God bless the Border Patrol.

Originally Posted by Vigilant
I retired from a State Division of Prisons. Several of the pickup trucks we had were assigned as Perimeter Patrol Vehicles (PPVs). The PPVs ran the whole 12-hour shift, until shift change. Even then, they didn't cut the engine off, Just switched Officers. About 99 percent of the time was idling,

I used to LOVE getting assigned to the perimeter trucks when I worked at the State Prison. I would try to put exactly 100 miles on the truck every night. I was like a nascar race truck on the curves , LMAO.

I worked during the 2004 Hurricane season. Hurricane Charlie, Hurricane Francis, Hurricane Ivan, Hurricane Jeanne all slammed central Florida, and I was assigned in a perimeter truck during the hurricanes. 120-135 mph winds in a perimeter truck... good times.

They thought for sure the fences would come down with cat 3-5 hurricanes coming our way. I was issued an AR15, 6 magazines, and standing orders to shoot any and all inmates that attempted to escape if the fences were blown down. Luckily, the fences held.

Originally Posted by BozoDeClowne
My old boss had a brother who worked BP in the north. They had a specific allotment of fuel for ATVs and snowmobiles each month. Once that was gone, no more patrolling. He spent a LOT of time detailing his truck, to the point that he eventually did the underside!

What was he looking for ? Maple syrup smugglers?

In the army, I luckily spent most of my time out bush doing real work, well real training. Once I was forced to spend a fair amount of time in the barracks, with a lot of cleaning work to keep us busy. In the end I decided to clean the same shovel again and again, got it to a half decent mirror finish. Even the sergeant was impressed.

I retired from a State Division of Prisons. Several of the pickup trucks we had were assigned as Perimeter Patrol Vehicles (PPVs). The PPVs ran the whole 12-hour shift, until shift change. Even then, they didn't cut the engine off, Just switched Officers. About 99 percent of the time was idling, with an occasional slow drive to the next post during rotation. Even with all that idling, the knuckleheads at the Capitol insisted that we have the oil changed every 5000 miles. We finally got them to at least allow us to use synthetic oil. Every few days, they cut the engine off and checked the oil. I doubt that Border Patrol is that hard on a vehicle, but I imagine life as a Border Patrol vehicle is pretty grueling. I wouldn't buy one used. God bless the Border Patrol.

When I was involved in testing oils that was developed for VW 504.00/507.00 specification, we would do runs on Skoda Octavia 2.0tdi 10,000km without turning off engine. Also, in those 10,000km there was 100hrs of idling.

Too funny. I worked for the Feds, the impoverished guards someplace else. We had a few no drivin NYC types, you know what I mean who couldn't drive standArd and lame authorities wouldn't shame them by actually making them learn. 2 Nd gear buck buck buck stall, second gear 50mph.then shift change rinse and repeat. It was a 🤡show as they drove those blazers into the dirt administration saying nothin in spite of our protests.
Sure enough finally one killed an engine. The vehicle shop painstakingly rebuilt it $825 in parts 1986. The no driving U no who was coming on shift next with that brand new weeks worth time engine. I swung by the shop and begged the Forman to hold it back so I could break it in tomorrow. He snickered said the warden ordered it out today and hands were tied. I come in next morning and there was the old flagge out Cherokee . I asked where's the blazer and the other CO said drive around you'll see the oil spot. Whether it was the 2nd gear starts or the 50 in second gear did it who knows but it lasted only a couple hours. We ended up driving old super flagged out blazers with the busted seat back hinges for months. If the 2x 6 slipped you fell over in the back. Wouldn't let me broker them a cash deal $25 junkyard seat.
We were all so [censored] I fired off one of those suggestion awards they promote and never read. It suggested saving wear tear ny having all new personnel take a quick driving test and training those who had issues. Sounds intelligent but I did it as a slap in the face to those useless managers. Don't I get an award of all things for it. Probably the only one they got that quarter. As for actually 🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ doing it uhhhhhhhhhh. Never happened . No one was surprised at all. I guess we were significantly ahead of PC times.
Oh the retard convention got worse. Later that year the stick propping up the seat got out of hand so desperation reigned. They took a seat from an old 1950s deuce and bolted it in there. Well, it was a seat that didn't fall over but it was bolt upright. The seat was pure rubber covered. No big deal I thought but wait. If it was wArm it made you sweat and you would stick right there as if glued in place . End of shift the guy had a rash on his thighs in summer.
They kept saying we have armor plated Jeep pickups coming so we sweated. Come early fall there they are in the shop and by winter we're still glued to the awful rubber and there they sat. I kept bugging the garage maintenance chief and he kept grumbling about authorization shaking his head.
Finally after they sat for most of a miserable year I pry it out of them why they aren't used. Dual fuel, propane tank in the back. Too dangerous if some dude shot it with tracer. I'd driven the earliest version at FCI Englewood , old 72 1500 chevys and knew exactly what it was. I immediately say what's so hard about just removing that 100 gallon propane tank and driving it on gas. The switching mechanism is stupidly simple just unhook it. Of course they had nothing of that sort of thing so we suffered on while those AC equipped Jeeps gathered layers of dust and they got new chevys another year on and I was long gone outa that looney farm. All too true to be novel and I don't have enough imagination to make this kind of foolishness up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back