Am I the only one using AMAM in AMAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it in everything. Just used it in my '04 Lexus ES 330. I put a new radiator and thermostat (they were bad). What drained out was weak, dirty pink, or red, probably original, but the internals looked like new. I flushed it 4 or 6 times with distilled water, then poured in Prestone concentrate. I know enough to not use coolant with silicates, but other than that what's the fear? I mean, I'll change it in a couple of years, probably only 5,000 on it by then. So far it survived a hot trip to New York City, no problems as expected of course. What's the risk with using the forbidden all makes, all models rather than the fancy-smancy Toyota coolant?

I suppose it could be argued that the original coolant did a great job for 15 years with it being dirty and weak, but that's the only advantage I can think of.

Originally Posted by Nayov
I use it in everything. Just used it in my '04 Lexus ES 330. I put a new radiator and thermostat (they were bad). What drained out was weak, dirty pink, or red, probably original, but the internals looked like new. I flushed it 4 or 6 times with distilled water, then poured in Prestone concentrate. I know enough to not use coolant with silicates, but other than that what's the fear? I mean, I'll change it in a couple of years, probably only 5,000 on it by then. So far it survived a hot trip to New York City, no problems as expected of course. What's the risk with using the forbidden all makes, all models rather than the fancy-smancy Toyota coolant?

I suppose it could be argued that the original coolant did a great job for 15 years with it being dirty and weak, but that's the only advantage I can think of.

You've got me stumped Nay. What the *@#&^%*& is an AMAM?

Asian coolant is silicate-, borate-, amine- and nitrite-free. AMAM coolant is a dex-clone which is only silicate-free. I'm not a chemist but this likely makes a difference in the long run.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by Nayov

You've got me stumped Nay. What the *@#&^%*& is an AMAM?

All Makes All Models aka Universal Coolant.

AMAM coolant has 2-EHA....Asian coolant does not.....Asian coolant has phosphates...AMAM does not.
After several flushes with distilled water I doubt you will have any issues...(most coolant problems are caused by mixing different chemistries, IMO…...something you didn't do because you did a thorough flush)....

Originally Posted by pbm
AMAM coolant has 2-EHA....Asian coolant does not.....Asian coolant has phosphates...AMAM does not.
After several flushes with distilled water I doubt you will have any issues...(most coolant problems are caused by mixing different chemistries, IMO…...something you didn't do because you did a thorough flush)....
2-EHA in a vehicle that was not speced for it may cause problems with plastics and or gaskets

Originally Posted by pbm

When Prestone started using Cor-guard inhibitors, it does have phosphate.

http://www.pqiadata.org/Prestone5050Prediluted.html

Originally Posted by BigD1
Originally Posted by pbm

When Prestone started using Cor-guard inhibitors, it does have phosphate.

http://www.pqiadata.org/Prestone5050Prediluted.html

That's true and I had forgotten about that.....The Prestone Cor-guard is reputed to be an excellent coolant.

quote=CT8:
"2-EHA in a vehicle that was not speced for it may cause problems with plastics and or gaskets."

That's possible for a 2004 ...but I would think that 2-EHA resistant gaskets are the norm now....

I have it in a 2005 Ford. Will report back in 5 years
laugh.gif

7201C013-E73E-4BE3-8F35-1F5DE5904B6C.jpeg

Previously on our older vehicles(the ones we drove into the 2000's), I had used AMAM in these vehicles. However since the early 2000's, I have used in our '01 Lexus & '04 Nissan, '06 Mazda3(and will with the others in my sig), Peak Global Lifetime(PGLT) or the newer Asian coolants and will continued using these other types of Asian coolants moving forward.

To each their own. The true Asian PHOAT AFs all avoid the use of 2eha found in Dexclone AMM universal AFs including Prestone. Now with many very reasonably priced readily available Asian PHOAT AF like Zerex/Valvoline Asian at WM and AP stores, no need to go Universal Dexclone AMM. The noted Zerex/Valv currently on sale at Napa for $11/gal. Regular everday price WM, ~$13/gal.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ZRX...%26+5+Liter&keywordInput=zerex+asian

I would be OK with Prestone Cor-Guard in a newer Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Subaru, as long as it's not a problem child model(2AZ-FE Camry/Scion tC or 2ZR equipped Corolla/Prius/Scion xB or a Subaru with the EJ2xx engines). It does meet their coolant requirements, even though it's 2-EHA and sodium neodeconate.

Most of the OATs out there are plasticizers to a certain degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back