Mobil 1 EP vs AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
... Another option is to put a 2x4 block by each ramp so you drive onto it first.
Good way to dodge that problem. Put them behind the ramps, to lift the car before bodywork hits the top of the ramp. You might need two of them per side, or a 2×6 or 2×8 to lift the wheels soon enough.

Id use the AFE. Might be seat of my pants but it seems to be quieter and AFE is a solid oil, id use it to 10k with ease..heavy foot included. Id only use Ep if u were to go over 10k

My ramps are low profile. Another option is to put a 2x4 block by each ramp so you drive onto it first.

Exactly. Same idea using the curb, the curb is the final resting spot for both front tires. The 2x4's allow you to incrementally step up to the curb avoiding damaging any low pro front skirt/end. The curb height is gonna (should) give you enuff lift to get at the drain plug and filter.

Originally Posted by CR94
... Another option is to put a 2x4 block by each ramp so you drive onto it first.
Good way to dodge that problem. Put them behind the ramps, to lift the car before bodywork hits the top of the ramp. You might need two of them per side, or a 2×6 or 2×8 to lift the wheels soon enough.

While I have accumulated all 4 (floor/trolley, bottle, scissor jacks and rhino ramps) over the years, there are a lot of ways to skin this cat without needing much more than ramps. In fact ramps are my go to 99% the time I need to get under the car. I find that they're just so much easier to lug around when you have a bad back.

Last edited:
I have put some 490K(perhaps more miles than anyone here) using both 0-20AFE and 0-20EP in my last 3 Ford 4 cyl engines.. Frankly I couldn't tell a real difference between the two at 10K OCIs. All engines remained very clean, show no sign of engine wear, no sign of increased timing chain noise, and no increase in oil consumption.
smile.gif

I'm using 0w-30 AFE in my DI mazda. I have wondered with regards to fuel dilution which is better AFE or 5w 30 EP. I've aways heard that the AFE oils had less VI so thats why i'm using that, but is that fact?

Last edited:
I ran both 0W-20 AFE for 15K miles and EP for 17K miles and saw zero difference between the two from a wear standpoint, but EP had a higher TAN (8.9 versus 5.3) and TBN was 2.9 for both.

You will want to check with a UOA, but I would use AFE and not bother with EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back