Rat Terrier -Rolling In The Dirt. Let's Talk Dogs & Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I had a picture but don't so, try to make a mental picture...

Brought the big wash tub out front to wash the dogs. They love baths and outdoor baths are special treats. Leila the Rat Terrier finished her bath and I turned around to get a sip of coffee. Turn around again and she's gone... She went and found the patch of loose dirt and rolled n kicked around in it from head to toe. All I could make out was her eyes. Here nose was clean too. Well... I let her go for a little while longer; she seemed to be enjoying it immensely. Picked her up, gave her a little kiss on the nose -and tossed her right back in the tub. Next time though, we were a little more careful about that patch of dirt.

Dogs... Such treasures they are!

Let's hear your dog, cat, pet story!

Ray

[Linked Image]

Cookie the evil Quarter Horse mare. We had to put her down Dec 2017. I miss that incredible horse. She was dominating, opinionated, protective and would hurt you if you weren't hers.

Originally Posted by CT8
[
Cookie the evil Quarter Horse mare. We had to put her down Dec 2017. I miss that incredible horse. She was dominating, opinionated, protective and would hurt you if you weren't hers.

I'm sure you cherished your time with her and in her own way, I'm bet she appreciated you too. Do you have another animal now?

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by CT8
[

I'm sure you cherished your time with her and in her own way, I'm bet she appreciated you too. Do you have another animal now?

no.

I've had a dog in my house since 1973....can't see living without one.
My current dog...a JackRat (Jack Russell mom...Rat Terrier dad) may be the smartest of them all....and that list includes a GSD, a collie/shepherd mix, 2 Airedales, a Jack Russell/ ACD mix (who was extremely smart and protective too).
If people were as loyal as dogs the world would be a better place....

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by CT8
[

no.

Well, head down to the used dog store and pick up loyal friend!

Our 12-year-old Italian greyhound had a stroke and had to be put down the day after we had bought a Costco-size bag of food. Wife and then 8-year-old daughter went to the local shelter the next week to donate the food. Came home with a 6month old terrier mix that had been taken from previous owner after an animal control officer saw the owner kicking him.

Dog and daughter have been inseparable since Day 1 which was 2 1/2 years ago.

EA7133AC-2CB3-49D9-892F-BCD7F0BB4018.jpeg

Last edited:
Great story.

Some dogs are rollers and some are shakers. Luckily my little poodle is a shaker. My gf's little poodle is a roller and you had better not let him out after a bath.

My wife has a dog which is hers and my daughter has two horses and I enjoy them all but none are bonded to me. Having an animal that is bonded to you is so special.

Here's an older pic of Leila (the roller). As you can see, she also likes to dig for moles. She's relentless. In this picture here, I was asking her: Leila, were you digging for moles in the lawn? She denied adamantly but, I had reason to suspect otherwise.

IMG_0769.JPG

Last edited:
I have an 8 month old rat terrier. He's a handful but a good dog so far. Had one growing up and she was exceptional. Hoping for same with this little fella.

I ran out of dogs around 10 years ago.

The three cats recently moved out.

So a guy in a nearby town is putting a wire heaired Jack Russell over a fairly large whippet.

Leave it to cook, and I'm hopeful of having lurcher (sight hound terrier cross) in my life in 4 months or thereabouts.
[Linked Image]

Had a rat terrier when I was in California many years ago. Smart as a whip and just as funny as could be. He loved to dig!

Some of you might have heard this joke but the best part of it is how it truly tells of a dog's unquestionable love for his owner.

Lock your wife and dog in the trunk of your car and come back in 1/2 hr. Which one is happy to see ya?

Originally Posted by Inked
Lock your wife and dog in the trunk of your car and come back in 1/2 hr. Which one is happy to see ya?
So true.

We have a mutt Petey who loves us to death he was abandoned and he found us. Last month I bought my wife a Yorkshire Terrier because she has been on me for a decade about wanting one. Well the kids named him Alfonse and he is just like a 3 year old kid who likes to get in trouble. I love both and I can't imagine what life would be like without either.

My Mom was telling me she had a Rat when she was a kid but the Game Warden came and took it away because it liked to chase down deer.

I love our pups, but if they went out and rolled in the dirt right after a bath I may not be as chill as you haha.

We currently have two Miniature Schnauzers. We had three not even two years ago, but had to put one down.

This is Oliver, he just turned two this month. He loves to go on walks, sitting in his cage in strange contorted positions, and getting teats after going pee pee in the yard. He has unique coloring for a Mini Schnauzer for which he receives many complements.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is Raena, she is eleven years old and spunky as ever. She loves to talk to us when she gets excited, and likes to place her toys in 90 degree angles next to walls and furniture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CT8
[Linked Image]

Glad you brought up horses, although even a trainer I was working with claimed that horses didn't have personalities like dogs, some very much have distinct and strong personalities like yours. When I was riding at a dressage barn the owner had a schooling horse which was a QH, named Watson, he was a few years old or so, and was a rescue, I was generally responsible for cleaning stalls, and feeding the other boarded horses a few days a week and he really bonded with me. Would follow me around as I worked, when I'd drive up the long driveway at night from my other job he would follow my car as I spoke to him in the pasture, plus he actually would play hide and go seek, I kid you not. I wish I could have bought him but he wasn't cheap and not for sale at the time either.
I still remember him fondly, he truly was like good friend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
My Mom was telling me she had a Rat when she was a kid but the Game Warden came and took it away because it liked to chase down deer.

We have a German Shepard/Australian Kelpie mix. Great dog. Smart and well behaved. Barks at all animals except deer. Those she had figured out she can eat if she catches them, and she is very fast.

Very handy around the vineyard. Keeps the deer from destroying the crop and convinces the coyotes they don't want any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back