Any Z4 owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking what appears to be a clean well maintained 2006 BMW Z4 3.0 with 177000 miles I plan to have it checked but would seriously like to know what those of you who own or have owned in the past think. Should I be concerned over the mileage? Anything in particular I should concerned about?

No real trouble spots beyond what you'd find in any other BMW.

The N52/ZF6 combo is pretty solid. If it has made it to 177k, there's no reason to think it'll die any time soon.

Will you be doing general service and repairs? Having a shop take care of a 177,000 mile BMW is going to cost you more the first year than what you will pay for the car now. At least it's not the turbo.

Originally Posted by SilverGt
I'm looking what appears to be a clean well maintained 2006 BMW Z4 3.0 with 177000 miles I plan to have it checked but would seriously like to know what those of you who own or have owned in the past think. Should I be concerned over the mileage? Anything in particular I should concerned about?

I've owned a dozen BMWs since 1983; as rooflessVW stated, the engine and transmission in that Z4 is a durable combination. The major issues are gasket failures- primarily the valve cover and the oil filter housing. I'd recommend a thorough PPI by tech who knows BMWs. If it checks out go for it.

Having said all that, the BITOG BMW "experts" are the guys who have yet to sit in one- never mind driven or owned one. Their bleatings that parrot fifth-hand internet hearsay are where the true nuggets of BMW wisdom are found.

This was the first model which had electric steering and IIRC there was a "silent recall" over it. I can't remember the exact year though.

Originally Posted by SilverGt

Check Oil filter housing gasket (if it failed, maybe you can get some discount. Do not think of it as item that should prevent you to buy a car, as it will fail eventually even if it was changed before. And it was, probably 2-3 times).
Valve cover gasket.
Water pump.

Hopefully there are some maintenance records? Other than items previously mentioned I'd want to know if the original suspension components have been replaced, especially the front struts. Three pedals or 2?

This earlier xx30i combo is solid. Weve seen more than 5 with over 150, and this week alone we had an 06 330i with 245 and an 07 Z4 with 170. One thing Ive noticed thats getting expensive is all the bits and pieces, odd things that fail or break and are kind of pricey to find. 330 wanted the splash shield under the engine 325 frmo the dealer or 175 aftermarket. Z4 needed HVAC controls from spilled coffee, used was 350, new was almost 1000. Typical oil leaks can be pricey, filter housing and valve cover, along with the front and rear main seals at those mileages. I dont do those seals since BMW only allows install with a 130$ injection kit, comes with a syringe and speical epoxy to glue the seal in, has to sit for at least 8 hours after install to set up. They can be tough to get right, so I pass on them now. The Z also had an expensive bill in April after letting it sit for 2 years. Front and rear brakes with coated rotors, 2 tires, battery, major service with plugs coils, filters, oil leak with belt and tensioner, upper and lower rad hose and expansion line. Oil was destroying everything rubber around the filter housing, so considering the age we did it all. Ended up being almost 3500. Expect shocks and suspension work at the mileage as well if it hasnt been done. The 240k 330 is on his 3rd set of rear shocks and second front, they were a known weak spot, and they dont want to invest in HD bilsteins, so he just replaces the rears every 60k or so when they start to leak or fail.

Last edited:
Honestly these have been getting my attention lately too.
Though I'd prefer a hardtop as I don't care for vert's.

Aside from that I'd seriously consider one, especially since the "clown shoe" Z3 M3 coup is hitting crazy prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back