Honda DW-1 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by kschachn
Whatever you use don't put the Honda ATF (Z or DW1) into other cars.

Man if that were true wouldn't you think Honda would put a big warning statement on the container?

It is not Honda's fault if you use their ATF in a Ford or GM. Ford or GM would probably warn you about not putting non approved non spec fluid in their cars.

No of course not, but look at it this way. My old Honda says to use ATF-Z1 or dexron II. Of course both have been superseded but that requirement makes me think that the two are equivalent, and therefore I could use the Honda fluid in my Toyota which specifies the dexron fluid. But now you all are saying that could be harmful to the Toyota transmission.

...No of course not, but look at it this way. My old Honda says to use ATF-Z1 or dexron II. Of course both have been superseded but that requirement makes me think that the two are equivalent, and therefore I could use the Honda fluid in my Toyota which specifies the dexron fluid. But now you all are saying that could be harmful to the Toyota transmission.

If the DW-1 analyses are correct, and we have had two so far, the Dexron fluids 'could' be used in Honda's but I would not use any of the Honda DW-1 or Z in a transmission speced soley for Dexron-type fluids, simply because of the additive mix in the DW-1 fluid.

I.E., I would not use a DW-1 in my Nissan (NissanMatic S ~ = Dexron VI) or in my GM TrailBlazer (Dexron/Merc or Dexron VI).

Whatever you use don't put the Honda ATF (Z or DW1) into other cars.

Man if that were true wouldn't you think Honda would put a big warning statement on the container?

It is not Honda's fault if you use their ATF in a Ford or GM. Ford or GM would probably warn you about not putting non approved non spec fluid in their cars.

No of course not, but look at it this way. My old Honda says to use ATF-Z1 or dexron II. Of course both have been superseded but that requirement makes me think that the two are equivalent, and therefore I could use the Honda fluid in my Toyota which specifies the dexron fluid. But now you all are saying that could be harmful to the Toyota transmission.

If Honda say ATF-Z1 and Dexron II, it means one is better (for Honda) than the other but both are good enough (not both are identical).

Better for one car does not mean better for another.

Use medicine as an example, if your doctor say you can take medicine A or medicine B for your condition, and your wife has a condition that can take medicine B or medicine C, do you think it make sense that you can conclude you can take medicine C? You may die because of that but cannot blame your doctor or the drug company.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
There was some discussion in this sub-forum two or three months ago as to whether Honda's DW-1 (_NOT_ the clones, the actual Honda-branded fluid) is formulated with little to no phosphorus. See here.
Thanks for having the VOA done and reconfirming the very low to nil phosphorus as noted by Blackstone comments and VOA in the link.

I also appreciate it because it confirms that even though both Aisin DW1 "Formula" and Idemitsu H+ seem to imply they may be or are DW1 "clones", their respective VOAs show that not to be the case. Not saying they aren't fine for use, just that they are not the same as DW1.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Aisin DW1 "Formula" and Idemitsu H+ seem to imply they may be or are DW1 "clones", their respective VOAs show that not to be the case. Not saying they aren't fine for use, just that they are not the same as DW1.

Indeed.

I thought that DW-1 was a thin fluid as a previous UOA I saw on this site indicated a used viscosity of 5.7 or so. This VOA has a fairly high viscosity aft 7.5. If that is the case does the DW-1 shear in use like the older Z-1? I thought that DW-1 was supposed to be more shear stable?

My 13 civic in my sig calls for dw-1 and I have used nothing but since the first drain and fill. 178k in the clock right now it shifts just as smooth as day one when I drove her off the lot with just 6 miles on it. I do a drain and fill every 30k without fail. I'm due for my next one in about 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back