Which synthetic has the highest ZDDP content nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Davejam
I know this wasn't the question, but if you wanted you could add an extra shot of ZDDP with Rislone Engine Oil Supplement Concentrate with Zinc Treatment

I'm sure there are other additives but that seems to be pure zddp additive.

That was my initial thought. That or a bottle of STP blue. But then you get into the whole "messing with the chemistry" thing, so dunno.

The STP oil treatment isn't a ZDDP additive. It contains <600 ppm Zn and <500 ppm P.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

The STP oil treatment isn't a ZDDP additive. It contains span>and div>

Deleted. I get what ur saying...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nicasio
Rotella T isn't what it used to be right?

I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Some will have less phosphorus. Others will not. Just don't expect it to be a break in lube or a racing lube.

OP, I agree with your thinking, you have a rebuilt V8 and no exhaust cats, and you want to run a high ZDDP oil that has been formulated and tested, rather than put extra ZDDP in a regular ILSAC level (~ 700 to 800ppm Zn) PCMO.

Most Euro A3/B4 40 grade oils, like M1 0W40 / Edge 0W40 / Edge 5w40, run about 1000 ppm zinc. These are easy to find, they are a thin 40 - so almost a 30 grade, full synthetic and of high quality. Just make sure you get the full-SAPS A3/B4 oils, not the mid-SAPs C3 oils.

Check out the VOA oil analysis section here, Rotella still carries good zinc levels

Rotella T6 15W40
CK4 ~ 1082 ppm zinc
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5069502/

Rotella T5 10W30
FA4 ~ 1185 ppm Zinc
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5015593/

Rotella T6 5W40
CJ4 ~ 1390 ppm
CK4 ~ 1199 ppm
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4490450/

Just don't use the Rotella Gas Truck or Multi-Vehicle it's SN rated and down at the regular zinc levels.

Plus as other have said
Valvoline VR1 ~1200ppm Zn,
M1 TDT 5W40 CK4 ~ 1250 ppm Zn

Here is a link to the M1 zinc levels
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Also most motorcycle oils are high ZDDP.

I don't think he can get VR1 in CA but that would be my choice or the T5 even though it's a blend and in CA I would run 10w30 in all my vehicles.

Last edited:
Here's the 20w50 version for the thickies.

A1264988-E283-4F52-9110-108C5A82BA11.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here's the 20w50 version for the thickies.

Nice work Snagglefoot, we only get one VR1 down here, it's a 10W40 semi-synthetic which should work for most people.

However we also get a full synthetic SynPower 10W50 for high performance applications, it's an SN/CF and Euro A3/B4 rated oil. I assume the standard Euro 1000 - 1100 ppm Zn in this oil, but a VOA would be nice to confirm levels.
(SynPower 10W50 PDF)

Last edited:
Can you get ANY oil in California with >800 ppm of ZDDP? AMSoil Z-Rod, Redline 5or10w30, Mobil 1 Racing 0w30 are some of the biggies. Z-Rod I'm thinking may be most appropriate because it's formulated with a corrosion inhibitor for engines that sit a lot.

Originally Posted by alcyon
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 has 1000+ ppm of zinc

Yes it should, and in North America it goes under the name Pennzoil Platinum Euro It's also rated A3/B4.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is one of my favourite oils, it carries all the good OEM specs like BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40. I can't own a Ferrari, but I can run the only Ferrari approved oil in my family car.

I used to run Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 all the time in my 76 Oldsmobile 350 v8. I liked all those extra specs. Lately I've been running 10w30s because the valvetrain seems to be quieter with thinner oils. Hopefully I don't regret it. The valve springs should be worn enough that I don't need any extra zddp anyway.

Originally Posted by Garak
I wouldn't worry in the least. For your use, I'm sure whatever 10w-30 you get is doing fine. Too bad our Walmarts don't carry the 10w-30 VR1; that would make it easier!

They used to carry it at Partsource and possibly Walmart also but not in a while. Back then I didn't use it because I didn't want to use anything conventional but now I'd be fine with it.

My Buick's 455 only has 460 miles on the clock since rebuild. No cats. Currently using Valvoline 10W30 conventional with a bottle of Lucas TB Zinc-Plus. I'll do another OC at 500 miles with the same stuff then again at 1500 miles. After that I'd like to go synthetic without having to buy the TB Zinc-Plus anymore. What syn would y'all recommend?

What's the cam specs and valve spring rate? Stock or stock replacement flat tappet cams are typically mild enough that additional ZDDP isn't necessary. How many miles do you plan on putting on this car per year?

Here are the motor specs. I'll be taking her cruising out on weekends.
-‘70 Block (.030 over so it's actually a 462)
-Holley Street Avenger Carb 770 CFM
-Edelbrock Performer 455 Intake
-‘71 Heads w/Larger Valves/Hardened Seats
-TA 290-94H Camshaft (.491"-226'/.502"-235',112')
-TA 1423-9.350 Push Rods 9.350x5/16"
-TA 1405 Hydraulic Lifters ‘70 and Up
-TA 1435 Stage 1 Performance Valve Springs
-TA 1434 Valve Keepers
-TA 1450 Chromoly Steel Retainers 11'3/8"
-HV Oil Pump
-6 Qt Oil Pan
-TA Stage 1 Shorty Headers 1-7/8"x3"

My Buick's 455 only has 460 miles on the clock since rebuild. No cats. Currently using Valvoline 10W30 conventional with a bottle of Lucas TB Zinc-Plus. I'll do another OC at 500 miles with the same stuff then again at 1500 miles. After that I'd like to go synthetic without having to buy the TB Zinc-Plus anymore. What syn would y'all recommend?

What's the cam specs and valve spring rate? Stock or stock replacement flat tappet cams are typically mild enough that additional ZDDP isn't necessary. How many miles do you plan on putting on this car per year?

Here are the motor specs. I'll be taking her cruising out on weekends.
-‘70 Block (.030 over so it's actually a 462)
-Holley Street Avenger Carb 770 CFM
-Edelbrock Performer 455 Intake
-‘71 Heads w/Larger Valves/Hardened Seats
-TA 290-94H Camshaft (.491"-226'/.502"-235',112')
-TA 1423-9.350 Push Rods 9.350x5/16"
-TA 1405 Hydraulic Lifters ‘70 and Up
-TA 1435 Stage 1 Performance Valve Springs
-TA 1434 Valve Keepers
-TA 1450 Chromoly Steel Retainers 11'3/8"
-HV Oil Pump
-6 Qt Oil Pan
-TA Stage 1 Shorty Headers 1-7/8"x3"

Have a look at Driven's new GP-1 oil in 10w-30. I think it would be a perfect fit for your engine at 3-4k miles or 1 year intervals.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Racing oils do not have the the proper additive pack for street cars.

The term "Racing" gets used rather loosely. With the exception of true dedicated racing oils like Driven XP series, the majority of "racing" oils contain a typical detergent and dispersant package, with >6.0 TBN, and just an extra amount of ZDDP and MoDTC. Mobil 1 Racing, Valvoline VR1, Red Line HP, Amsoil Dominator, HPL BAS, and LAT Racing oil are all examples of "racing" oils that contain a sufficient additive package for continued street use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back