e-parking brake-rear pad replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Question!

Other than having a $1000ish scan tool in order to turn off the P-Brake on these new e-P-Brakes, is there a shade tree way to change out the rear brake pad without this?

Thanks,
CB

Does it engage automatically when you put it in park?

I'd have to imagine you could stop the car in neutral, chock the front tires, and go at it.

Yes, at the plug apply 12 volts in reverse. This will cause an electronic parking brake to retract.

Last edited:
What vehicle?

I would have figured if you can spin the wheel by hand, the P-brake shoes *should* clear and allow for rotor removal with the P-brake just normally disengaged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
What vehicle?

Yup, some vehicles allow you to remove the electronic part and retract/reset them without a tool.

I am looking at a Foxwell OBDII tool for my Hyundai. It does the electronic e-brake retraction and has other features as well above just reading codes, and is ~$140.
They have one for most makes, and some models can have more than one manufacturer on it.
The one above comes with 1 make included, and can have a total of 5 (each vehicle costs extra, not sure on price).

Turn off the car while it's still in D
27.gif

Originally Posted by JTK
What vehicle?

I would have figured if you can spin the wheel by hand, the P-brake shoes *should* clear and allow for rotor removal with the P-brake just normally disengaged.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Which specific vehicle?

My f150 has a way to enter service mode on the brakes, no tool required.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Yeah, what car is it? FWIW the newer Jeep Cherokees 2014+ have a "service mode" setting for the parking brake.

None of the cars that I currently own so, nothing specifically just yet. However, one day we will be driving vehicles with the e-P-brake and I am going to have to replace the rear pads at some point. Just want to get ahead of this issue.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
...is there a shade tree way to change out the rear brake pad without this?
Yes, did it on my wife's car. Google was my helper.

Originally Posted by HangFire
If at this point, you still refuse to list the car(s) in question, I'm sure you don't really want an answer.

As I stated above to others questions of which vehicle(s)...it's none of the vehicles that I currently own. All of my current vehicles have manual P-Brake(hand or foot lever).

However in the near future I will be acquiring a new(er) vehicle. And all new vehicles are being equipped with these electronic parking brake systems that seem to require a scan tool or some form of for turning off the e-P-brake system that I am unaware of.

I don't personally know(or I wouldn't be asking) if they're all similar from mfg to mfg in this regard of needing to be turned off prior to doing a rear brake job. So, I asked the question about them in a general term. And IDK which vehicle that I will buy next!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
What vehicle?

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Which specific vehicle?

My f150 has a way to enter service mode on the brakes, no tool required.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Yeah, what car is it? FWIW the newer Jeep Cherokees 2014+ have a "service mode" setting for the parking brake.

None of the cars that I currently own so, nothing specifically just yet. However, one day we will be driving vehicles with the e-P-brake and I am going to have to replace the rear pads at some point. Just want to get ahead of this issue.

Originally Posted by HangFire
If at this point, you still refuse to list the car(s) in question, I'm sure you don't really want an answer.

As I stated above to others questions of which vehicle(s)...it's none of the vehicles that I currently own. All of my current vehicles have manual P-Brake(hand or foot lever).

However in the near future I will be acquiring a new(er) vehicle. And all new vehicles are being equipped with these electronic parking brake systems that seem to require a scan tool(or some form of for turning off the e-P-brake system that I am unaware of.

I don't personally know(or I wouldn't be asking) if they're all similar from mfg to mfg in this regard of needing to be turned off prior to doing a rear brake job. So, I asked the question about them in a general term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back