Rotella T6 15w-40 Is JASO MA2 Rated

Bummer on the ZRX eating up Redline. Gonna assume it is in KWICK's favorite flavor, 20w50?

If it's eating oil, I wouldn't even put a synthetic in until it's fixed. You having a problem with the oil rings?

Originally Posted by philobeddoe
Just checked online and my local WalMart has the T6 15w40 at $19.97/gallon ... gonna make a run and pickup a couple of gallons.

The ZRX has been eating up the Redline; tired of topping off at $15/quart.

Can anyone confirm the ZRX1200R takes the Wix 24941?

Im curious to hear about how the T6 does in your bike. If that doesn't solve it, try T4.

I am almost certain he is running redline 20w50. He's looking for a less expensive synthetic oil to top off with, as his bike has been eating up the Redline. Anything lighter weight than what he is running is not going to solve any problem he might be having.

I agree, T4 would be a great inexpensive top off oil since it's going to get used up anyway from the sound of things.

Yeah the motor was KWICK'd with the RL 20w50 ... he turns red when I tell him I run the Rotella.

I'm far from expert, but when I've run Amsoil or Redline in any of the ZRX's
the capacity decreases after a few hundred miles of hard rippin'
but the same does not happen when I'd ran the T6 5w40.

Regular street/highway riding, it does not occur, when the riding is more spirited, canyons and such, I need to top off a half quart.

Filled up on T6 15w40 this morning and took a short ride,
gonna wind her up later this afternoon.

Previous OCI ran M1 10w40 4T in the Rex, granted not winding it out other than now and then in street riding, 4,603 miles didn't use any oil. Current fill is M1 20w50 V-Twin, just over 4,800 miles with the last 1,400 in 5 days a week and a half ago running around southwestern Colorado doing lots of mountains and hasn't used any either. Really pleased with the JE piston install I did spring of 2018, sealed up well on the rings. Going to take it to a bit over 5,000 miles and send off a sample when I change it. Debating (flipping a coin maybe?) whether continue with the 20w50 or back to the 10w40 4T. Engine seems to run a bit warmer with the 20w50 in hotter temps at higher elevation (ZX9 gauges installed which have a temp gauge). I recall that as well from running another brand 20w50 3 or 4 years ago vs the Rotella T5 15w40 I ran before that.

I am a HUGE HDEO fan, but over the years I have seen too much consumption with 5w40 in most applications. I have always believed the oil protected well, but didn't like the consumption. So last year I ran 15w40 T4 in two bikes and the consumption..... all but ended.

I've always been a fan of Semi-synthetic, so this year I am mixing a gallon of T6 (5w40) and T4 (15w40) and see how it does. (I did this because the T5 semi-synth's are not JASO rated and my bikes are shared sump.)

Everything from the seat of my pants is very positive.... smooth shifting and smooth engines. ....little to no consumption. I have 3,500 miles on the Honda and it has been spectacular.... smooth shifting and great running and no consumption that I can measure.

I just picked up two gallons of T6 15w40 and unsure what to do with it. Do I pour it straight in.... or do I mix it with T4 15w40 to get a semi-synth?

Last edited:
Regarding oil consumption, I'd still do a blend of T6 full syn (15w40) and syn blend T5 (15w40).

I posted some UOA's that included T5 15w40. It protected very well and stayed in grade as well as any oil of any weight I have used.

I want to give deference to the potential that there are "things in the oil" that an analysis doesn't show, but when it comes to a 15w40 HDEO, there isn't anything hiding in any of them that would cause a problem and not the T5 15w40 based on my analysis and performance while in use.

I would offer in terms of perpetuating the argument oils have things that don't show in an analysis, someone please share what those things possibly could be.

This is news to me, I thought all the T6 was 5w40. Wow am I wrong again! I will buy this 15w40 next time if it is available at my local WalMart. Until then I'm using the T4 15w40 (white bottle) in the dirt bikes with good results.

I just got a jug of the T6 15w40 at Walmart. I'm gonna try this in the VTX and see how it does. I don't ride the bike much (only 11K and it's an '02) but it has to be better than the 8 year old oil thats in it.

Riding season has ended here.... Had a 60 degree afternoon, so I rode the bikes down to the filling station, pouring in Stabil, topped off the tanks and rode each bike for 30 minutes.

It was a great season and T6 15w40 found its way into every one of my bikes.

I experimented a lot, as I ride a lot and was able to do 2-3 OCI's per bike.

Every single bike preferred a 50/50 mix of T6 15w40 synthetic and T4 15w40 conventional..... for a home blend of my own Semi-Synthetic. This is based on smoothness of shifting through the whole OCI. (Over the years I've been critical of T6 5w40 alone in this regard, as it hasn't been the best.)

I don't ride in cold weather and all my bikes spend their nights in a garage..... so I don't need a low temp, winter flow oil.

The WalMarts in the area are solidly stocked with T6 15w40 now and my home blend will be the oil for nearly everything I run..... Motorcycles and Diesel Cages and Diesel Tractor.

Last edited:
Question... Why not run Rotella T5 15w40 syn blend? I know I know, it doesn't have the official Jaso rating but I've used it and others have used it, there is no issue in a wet clutch.

Is the thinking here that T6 (and T4, it appears) "meets" the frictional requirements of MA, and that's why they label it so?
Clearly the fluid is not and cannot be compliant with the MA spec, because the MA spec requires a gasoline rating, which the Rotella T series no longer carries.

Just curious...

Originally Posted by Bonz
Question... Why not run Rotella T5 15w40 syn blend? I know I know, it doesn't have the official Jaso rating but I've used it and others have used it, there is no issue in a wet clutch.

I ran the old T5 but the new T5 is not rated for gasoline engines. I've been too lazy to call shell and ask if it is just not printed on the bottle or if they really mean it.
I thought the old T% worked the best in my bike as far as shifting went.

Smoky

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Is the thinking here that T6 (and T4, it appears) "meets" the frictional requirements of MA, and that's why they label it so?
Clearly the fluid is not and cannot be compliant with the MA spec, because the MA spec requires a gasoline rating, which the Rotella T series no longer carries.

Just curious...

I see the point you are making but just want to correct the statement that the T series no longer has gasoline rated oils. There are still two "T series " oils that are SN rated. They are the T6 0W40 and the T6 5w30 multi-vehicle. Carry on.
smile.gif

PS, if I read your post out of context, please disregard.

Last edited:
Ran syn-blend T5 15w40 in the ZRX1200 a few years ago. No issues and would run it again if I had to. There is no reason to not use it if a guy so chooses. There is no silver bullet in any of the HDEO's that hurts or helps a shared sump clutch system. Just something for guys to wax on while reading a label and ignoring reports from how it works when used in the real world . T4 Rotella had millions of miles of proof before it ever got labeled with any motorcycle rating. T5 is no different, but reading a label makes an expert out of many.
smile.gif

So who has been running the new Rotella in their shared sump bike?

Back