Flying: Do you print or email your boarding pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the way to my daughter's house in Colorado last week I printed my boarding pass. On the way home I decided to email it to my phone. The funny thing is the bar code would not show on my Android phone but did on my daughter's IPhone when I forwarded the email to her. Spirit said it might have trouble showing on an Android or Windows device. Are you kidding me? That is a major issue that should be fixed!

I print mine at the airport, most airlines have those self serve kiosks. That way no worries about phone battery dying, or somehow (I would find a way) losing the file on my phone.

Edit to add.. Some airlines don't have the kiosks, and will charge to print them for you. Check for this when your booking, it should be clearly indicated.

Last edited:
There's a lot of variables about the readers correctly reading the bar code when displayed on a phone.

Best to just print it out. I usually do the curb side check-in of my bags and they print a boarding pass.

There's a setting in your phone's email to show/ hide inline pictures.

Always good to do a dry run of this stuff before you're in the stress of an airport.

I print my passes-- it's a piece of paper! Saves me from numerous phone-related hassles.

The safest way to load it on your phone is to take a photo of the boarding pass with the camera on your cell phone. That way, if you happen to lose cell signal or WiFi coverage, it can still be retrieved at the gate as long as your phone has power. American Airlines and Delta suggests this technique in lieu of just emailing it to yourself. Just be sure to capture the bar code or QR code and seat location in the photo.

Download and use the airline's app and do screen capture on the phone in case of spotty internet at the airport

Use the airline app.

The app is clearer, won't get lost, and updates as gate and flight information changes. On the better apps, you can subscribe to push notifications of gate changes and other very important updates. On United's app, for example, not only do you get notifications of changes, you can track your checked bags, see where the inbound airplane is coming from, and the airport map will show flags for your arrival and departure gates, and if it all goes sideways, you can see your options, rebook, change flights, all from the app, without waiting in line at customer service, or holding for the next available agent.

Watch the million mile flyers. Not one of them uses paper...

I see* poor, lost, confused people in the airport every day, clutching a crumpled piece of paper in their hand, wondering where to go...

Because in the several hours since that piece of paper was printed, the situation has changed.

Don't be one of those people...

* Yes. I stop and help them. And I help them by pulling out my phone and using the app...it's both tutorial and help at the same time...

Last edited:
We use the app as well.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Use the airline app.

The app is clearer, won't get lost, and updates as gate and flight information changes. On most of the, you can subscribe to push notifications of gate changes and other very important updates.

I see* poor, lost, confused people in the airport every day, clutching a crumpled piece of paper in their hand, wondering where to go...

Because in the several hours since that piece of paper was printed, the situation has changed.

Don't be one of those people...

* Yes. I stop and help them. And I help them by pulling out my phone and using the app...it's both tutorial and help at the same time...

I've used the American app for years with no issues. No reason to ever print my boarding pass.

Check a bag and they always print them at that point.
I find the paper works good for some of the international connections clearing airport security or border control …

I print my boarding pass from home right before I head to the airport. I am a staff member for one of the big carriers and I travel the globe extensively. I've never had a single issue with a good old piece of paper.

Paper is the way to go and print it before you head to the airport if possible. I always get behind someone whose screen turns off and then I have to sit there and wait as they fumble to unlock their phone and find the app they have their boarding pass in. Plus it's just easier handing the paper ticket to the TSA and gate agents, especially with pre-check they have the gatekeeper as you enter the line looking at boarding passes before you get to the one you show your ID to.

I have always printed mine out before leaving the house. Never had a issue.

Been awhile since I flew but it's good to read that for the majority replying here, paper print out works just fine. I have no smart phone thus no intention of getting an "app" to fly. If that makes me "one of those people.....", so be it. I can live with that judgement, or perhaps prejudgment ie., prejudice. Iirc, last time I printed out boarding pass in a kiosk at the airport, no issues.

I fly A LOT. Generally 120 trips per year.

The phone thing occasionally introduces delays. So I always print mine now. I have an iPhone Xs max with fantastic resolution. Even so, sometimes it won't scan. I've even had TSA question my boarding pass on the phone.

Good luck to you when somebody calls or texts when your phone is being scanned.

Last edited:
I use the app from the airline. It's seamless. At some overseas destinations it does help to have a hard copy in my quick grab bag. Not everyone has entered the 21st century.

Last edited:
I also fly a lot, four trips so far this week. I use the app for the most part, but I also try to print it out beforehand. I've had periodic issues with both forms, so if I have both, hopefully that will cover it. So far it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back