5w20 vs 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the option of running 5w20 or 0w20. Temperature is not a concern here in FL. Comparing PP in the two different flavors, is there any data that suggest one is better than the other? Ed

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I know little about VI, but doesn't the 0w20 have a higher VI? What would that mean?

vi explained

But one thing to remember is the application, gas vehicle engines are really really forgiving, it isn't gonna matter 10 or 20 points above 165, especally if it is synthetic.

most 0w-20 are synthetic or higher percentage of synthetic blend, 5w-20 can be synthetic, unknown percentage of blend, or conventional (which most are a partial blend already).

For my location (similar temps as you) I use whichever is cheapest or handy.
Once my stash of xw-20 is used up, I will be switching everything in my current vehicle lineup to 5w-30 regardless of "recomended" viscosity.
None of them require a 20 wt for correct engine operation, so IMO I find it easier to just use 1 oil in all vehicles.

My guess was that there might be some PP data that suggest that the 0w20 might have a better base. I also am seriously thinking of going to my old standby of 5w30PP. Ed

The 5W- might have a different type of base oil with lower inherent VI.
OR
The 5W- might have a slightly thicker version of the same type base, with less VI improver polymer added.

Which one of those depends on the brand and line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I have the option of running 5w20 or 0w20. Temperature is not a concern here in FL. Comparing PP in the two different flavors, is there any data that suggest one is better than the other? Ed

There may be technical (read: in the weeds) differences between the two (base oil, [VI]i's, hths) but from a practical standpoint, no diff. FE should be about the same as both are a 20 grade at temp.

Last edited:
What about in cold-weather? Honda changed the oil spec of my Accord after a few years and it gets pretty cold here, so I'm switching to 0W.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by derass
What about in cold-weather? Honda changed the oil spec of my Accord after a few years and it gets pretty cold here, so I'm switching to 0W.

It really doesn't get that cold here in the Toronto area. I ran 0w20 in my Honda for years, but last year I decided to switch to 5w20, as I found the 0w20 was thinning out too much. Even when we had those rare -22C mornings my Honda had no trouble starting, so I don't see any real need for 0w20 around here at all.

I run 10W30 in my K24
laugh.gif

Not all mfgs publish pour point/mrv data, so it's hard to do an apples to apples but my guess is you're not going to experience a demonstrable difference in cold flow characteristics between a 5/20 and 0/20 (both are using similarly light base stocks) until you go below -25/30c. Which is what, (ant)arctic cold??

Pour point is not a reliable indicator of cold-weather cranking performance, the 0W rated oil will be better at very low temperatures. As you note, below -25F or even colder. Up until then there's really no way to predict which one might be slightly better.

Case in point … XOM only shows MRV data on M1 0w-xx (Dexos type oils) but not on 5w-xx etc …

I certainly don't need 0w20 … buts it's on the fill cap … base stocks tend to be high quality …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Case in point … XOM only shows MRV data on M1 0w-xx (Dexos type oils) but not on 5w-xx etc …

I certainly don't need 0w20 … buts it's on the fill cap … base stocks tend to be high quality …

Yeah, majority PAO based for cold weather performance.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Not all mfgs publish pour point/mrv data, so it's hard to do an apples to apples but my guess is you're not going to experience a demonstrable difference in cold flow characteristics between a 5/20 and 0/20 (both are using similarly light base stocks) until you go below -25/30c. Which is what, (ant)arctic cold??

we get that cold in canada alot during the winter. that being said my old 2002 RL took 5w30 PPPP and never once failed to start, even without being plugged in, the starters must be crazy strong in those. 0w20 will most likely resist oxidation better due to having better base oil composition but 5w20 will most likely have a lower noack, both will do the job good and id pick whatevers cheaper or more available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back