07 Expo 5.4 with 130k- stay with 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of now she runs just fine* as a daily driver at this juncture, knock on wood. (*probably just jinxed myself)
Always on 5w-20, synthetic Valvoline or Pennzoil for the last 50k at least; unknown dealer poured oil prior.

She does sound slightly "ticketier" than I'd prefer.

So I was thinking of going to 5w-30 just because.

Thoughts or reasons to not go -30 synthetic vs -20?

Originally Posted by noclutch
As of now she runs just fine* as a daily driver at this juncture, knock on wood. (*probably just jinxed myself)
Always on 5w-20, synthetic Valvoline or Pennzoil for the last 50k at least; unknown dealer poured oil prior.

She does sound slightly "ticketier" than I'd prefer.

So I was thinking of going to 5w-30 just because.

Thoughts or reasons to not go -30 synthetic vs -20?

My son owns an 04 Ford F150 Lariat with the same engine. He works at a Ford dealership currently going thru the Ford tech apprenticeship. The shop foreman suggested he run a semi or full synthetic 5W30 oil in his engine. So, he runs a full synthetic 5W30 oil in his 5.4 with a MC FL-820S oil filter, changed every 5K-7.5K miles. His engine runs as smooth as silk.
thumbsup2.gif

I would have switched to 5w-30 soon after it was out of warranty. Best thing I did for my '05 Ranger after many years of 5w-20. Smoother, quieter engine with less oil consumption and no hit on MPG. I'm actually getting 20MPG around town when I used to get 18.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Yea I figured it wasn't a critical difference, just a subtle noisiness I was trying to address.
So I did go to 5w-30 PP high mileage because of the deal de jour at the local Advance, and didn't want to drive to Wally world (or deal with them peoples LOL)
She seems happy enough today
smile.gif

Last edited:
Good to give it a go a see for yourself.
Not a big difference between an ILSAC 20 grade and an ILSAC 30 grade.

Live life on the edge and try a 10W30 one summer.

LOL life on the edge.
Yea I guess the stories of these engines valve train issues kinda has me freaked out. It would be interesting to hear Fords rationale for NOT recommending -30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back