3rd Gen Equinox AWD questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to buy a 2020 Equinox 2.0 Turbo AWD next year. We currently have two second gen, V6, AWD Equinoxes that have been completely trouble free. Those second gen Equinoxes have a Haldex based AWD system. My understanding is that the third gens use a different AWD system. What I like about my current cars is that power is sent to the rear every time the car starts from a standstill. Does anyone know if the new AWD system on the 3rd gen works the same way? I realize that with the 3rd gen cars an " AWD button" needs to be pushed to activate the AWD, otherwise it's just FWD. So assuming the AWD is activated, is there power to the rear from a dead stop, and how much of the torque can be sent to the rear? At what speed does the rear drive back off?

You folks are a wealth of technical knowledge here, so I would like your input if you know about the new AWD system. Unlike Mazda and Toyota and a few others, Chevrolet doesn't advertise their AWD system and not much info seems to be available. So if you have knowledge, please chime in.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Equinox no longer uses a Haldex system. The system in the new ones is supplied by GKN. Functionally, it is very much the same as the system on your current system, with the addition of a full disconnect at the PTU/transfer case (this is what the AWD button activates). It is not the high-zoot GNK Twinster AWD system used in some other GM vehicles.

Like the Haldex system, the GKN unit is capable of full lockup, effectively able to send 100% of the available torque to the rear of the vehicle. When it does this is a matter of system calibration. What I have noticed on the new GKN-based AWD systems is that with the addition of the AWD switch, they can be a bit more aggressive on AWD application. That is, without the disconnect at the PTU, all the "activation" takes placed at the clutch in the rear axle. There is only one piece that changes between maximum fuel economy and full blizzard mode and it's up to the system to determine which scenario the vehicle is in based solely on inputs. With the AWD switch, that's not the case. If the driver has the system disengaged, it's disengaged. End of story. If the driver presses the button to engage the system, that single input signals to the system that the driver (the smartest sensor in the vehicle) is *requesting* AWD. As such, the system seems to run on the assumption that the driver is going to get what they want and they're looking for traction, not fuel economy. It seems to be more aggressive at transferring power to the rear.

Those are my own observations. Like I said, it's all a matter of calibration and I don't think anyone outside of GM knows that info. The most you'll get out of public marketing is, "The system activates when it needs to."

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
I'm planning to buy a 2020 Equinox 2.0 Turbo AWD next year. We currently have two second gen, V6, AWD Equinoxes that have been completely trouble free. Those second gen Equinoxes have a Haldex based AWD system. My understanding is that the third gens use a different AWD system. What I like about my current cars is that power is sent to the rear every time the car starts from a standstill. Does anyone know if the new AWD system on the 3rd gen works the same way? I realize that with the 3rd gen cars an " AWD button" needs to be pushed to activate the AWD, otherwise it's just FWD. So assuming the AWD is activated, is there power to the rear from a dead stop, and how much of the torque can be sent to the rear? At what speed does the rear drive back off?
You folks are a wealth of technical knowledge here, so I would like your input if you know about the new AWD system. Unlike Mazda and Toyota and a few others, Chevrolet doesn't advertise their AWD system and not much info seems to be available. So if you have knowledge, please chime in.

I'd not worry about the AWD, but that engine & Turbo aren't the best by a looong shot. That alone would make me look at something else.

Originally Posted by Pelican

I'd not worry about the AWD, but that engine & Turbo aren't the best by a looong shot. That alone would make me look at something else.

I have a 2019, and besides being noisy, I've had no issues so far with it. Biggest issue is most folks don't know how to care for a turbo....

Not uncommon to see a Escape 2013+ smoking up around here.......

Originally Posted by madRiver
I wonder how many equinox owners will get stuck not aware of the button to engage AWD which has not been seen in AWD vehicles for decades.

Won't it engage when it detects wheelslip? Isn't the button for being proactive ("I'm in a foot of snow, lemme lock the diff's so I'll have maximum traction from the get-go").
21.gif

Is kinda weird to see a button for AWD. I get that on fancy vehicles you can tell it that it's on sand, or snow, or whatever; but I thought the point of CUV's was to make driving as bland as possible.

I wasn't aware of any known issues with that 2.0T engine.

Originally Posted by supton

Won't it engage when it detects wheelslip? Isn't the button for being proactive ("I'm in a foot of snow, lemme lock the diff's so I'll have maximum traction from the get-go").
21.gif

Is kinda weird to see a button for AWD. I get that on fancy vehicles you can tell it that it's on sand, or snow, or whatever; but I thought the point of CUV's was to make driving as bland as possible.

Without pushing the button it's just FWD. The drive shaft doesn't even turn. I'm sure that it's a fuel saving move by GM.

Assuming I get one next year, I'll engage the button whenever it's raining, icy, snowy or I happen to be in an off-road situation (which is rare). Otherwise it will just be FWD and theoretically I would be saving a tiny bit of fuel.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Equinox no longer uses a Haldex system. The system in the new ones is supplied by GKN. Functionally, it is very much the same as the system on your current system, with the addition of a full disconnect at the PTU/transfer case (this is what the AWD button activates). It is not the high-zoot GNK Twinster AWD system used in some other GM vehicles.

Like the Haldex system, the GKN unit is capable of full lockup, effectively able to send 100% of the available torque to the rear of the vehicle. When it does this is a matter of system calibration. What I have noticed on the new GKN-based AWD systems is that with the addition of the AWD switch, they can be a bit more aggressive on AWD application. That is, without the disconnect at the PTU, all the "activation" takes placed at the clutch in the rear axle. There is only one piece that changes between maximum fuel economy and full blizzard mode and it's up to the system to determine which scenario the vehicle is in based solely on inputs. With the AWD switch, that's not the case. If the driver has the system disengaged, it's disengaged. End of story. If the driver presses the button to engage the system, that single input signals to the system that the driver (the smartest sensor in the vehicle) is *requesting* AWD. As such, the system seems to run on the assumption that the driver is going to get what they want and they're looking for traction, not fuel economy. It seems to be more aggressive at transferring power to the rear.

Those are my own observations. Like I said, it's all a matter of calibration and I don't think anyone outside of GM knows that info. The most you'll get out of public marketing is, "The system activates when it needs to."

Thanks for that information. That's what I was looking for.

21.gif

Without pushing the button it's just FWD. The drive shaft doesn't even turn. I'm sure that it's a fuel saving move by GM.

Assuming I get one next year, I'll engage the button whenever it's raining, icy, snowy or I happen to be in an off-road situation (which is rare). Otherwise it will just be FWD and theoretically I would be saving a tiny bit of fuel.

I think for GM it is also a lazier and cheap engineering decision. Instead of optimized AWD the cheap/profitable way out is disable it and no need to put as much effort into when it's on. I am curious too if the component does not last as long knowing it won't be used as much.

21.gif

How much power does this vehicle have? I wouldn't think to engage 4WD in the rain normally.

Does anyone on here look at the different engines used here or just go off on tangent when GM is mentioned? 2.0 T suffers none of the problems the 2.4 had. It is the same basic design as the LTG used by A lot of Cadillacs, Regals, Camaros, Malibus, Impalas. I have one in my Malibu. It is young at 62,000 miles. Not one issue, 4000 t0 5000 mile oil changes and premium fuel. That is it. Certainly better than the Hyundai 2.4 and 2.0 T actually better than a lot of DI engines its size from other manufacturers too.

The AWD disconnect is purely a fuel economy feature. In a traditional system, the PTU, driveshaft, and rear axle input are constantly being driven, contributing to driveline loss. There's nothing to "optimize" here. It's simple physics. The PTU is a hypoid gearset that creates drag. When it's spinning, the driveshaft adds a considerable amount of rotating mass. The clutch at the rear axle input, even when fully disengaged, has a little bit of inherent drag. It all adds up and it shows in the fuel economy sticker. AWD vehicles always have lower fuel economy than their FWD counterparts. Part of that is the additional weight of the system and part is the additional driveline drag. Getting rid of the weight is impossible, but you can certainly eliminate the drag.

Automakers and suppliers aren't dummies. That's why every manufacturer of driveline components, GKN, Magna Powertrain, BorgWarner (formerly Haldex), Dana, etc., all have PTU disconnect systems in their offerings. Many vehicles are already disconnecting as part of their "drive mode" selection systems and more will in the future. Testing by BorgWarner a few years back showed a rotating AWD driveline consumes 200W of energy that could be saved with a PTU disconnect.

The standards for fuel economy testing are the Federal Test Procedure 75 (FTP75) for city testing and the U.S. EPA highway cycle. When testing in either test, if a feature is selectable, like AWD, the automaker can test in the default position. This is why start/stop systems with a switch typically revert to enabled on every ignition cycle. Enabled is the default. Making that the default allows automakers to test with the system enabled and count the gains in their results. Same thing with AWD. Make it selectable, make the default off, and they can test with the system disconnected. Next vehicle you're in with a drive mode selection switch or knob, put it in snow mode, then turn the igntiion off and back on. I bet it goes back to the default "Auto" or "Tour" mode. Now you know why.

If it saves fuel and potentially some component wear, having a true disconnect is a great thing. Most of us don't need AWD/4x4 probably over 90% of the time anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back