How Much Should I Sell this Table & Chairs for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not an ad I'm just hoping for some ideas on where to price it.

Manufacturer: Hooker
Made in: Mexico
Year: Around 2003 - 2005
Paid: Bought new, about $1299 if memory serves

This is not any sort of heirloom, it was a mass produced piece but the quality is good and it is somewhat unique. Top is of marble tiles approx 3/8" thick. The lighter tan marble tiles that form the outer perimeter are dyed that color, but the dark brown inlay marble is natural dark brown i.e. not dyed.

Of course, metal frame tables aren't as hot as they were back then and it needs to sit on a rug that has patterns-- helps busy up the optics of it all otherwise the legs and base look kind of spindly.

We want to sell this on Letgo or some 2nd hand site for local pickup. Other option is local consignment shops but the ones around here take a healthy chunk of the sale.

Someone with a carpentry shop or hobby and metal cutting tools could remove the stone top and re-set it on a wood table frame of their own design or choice and make a cool table. It is heavy as depleted uranium hence local pickup only.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Selling locally is the way to go. I think it looks quite good.

I like heavy furniture (within common sense limits) and many others do to.

I've only sold a few pieces of furniture myself so I'm not confident at all when I say.....$250-$300?

It could go for more if there is a good quality angle to it. It appears well made from here.

See if Hooker Furniture is still in business. If they offer the same kinda design today, you're in!

You could look at "cheaper" stuff AS WELL AS SIMILAR QUALITY STUFF and see what it goes for today.

What the heck, if it's "CURRENT" and in good condition you COULD get "half-price".

As you know, the higher the price you set for something you want to rid yourself of, the longer it will take to sell.

The good news is that Autumn is approaching and that is entertaining season and many will actually need and want it.

Provide table top dimensions but call the chairs "standard height" so as not to confuse a buyer.

Just call the chairs "comfortable". Site durability as well.

See if similar pieces show up in thrift stores near you. Then see what they charge.

Ask for too much and a potential buyer will settle for something he wants less but costs less at a thrift store.

I do know from experience that good looking dining room sets do fly out the door at a thrifty near us.

Do the grocery stores by you have public access bulletin boards?

Make your own mind up re price and do grocery stores first. Then do the online stuff.

Best of luck and may no axe murderer come to your house....looking for furniture.

Last edited:
Depends on anxiousness to sell. Start at $400 (which you probably won't get), and drop over time. Be very clear about wear/damage, including pics and descriptions.

It is unique so you never know what someone might be willing to pay, but I think the $250 suggestion was about right considering the effort for the buyer to pick it up, or $300 delivered.

Last edited:
Ask half of what you paid for it, but make it negotiable, and plan on dickering to a sell price. If they offer half what you ask for it, then dicker from there because that makes a buyer feel like they got a good deal.

If you want to sell it quickly then check out what others are selling similar price stuff for. If they are not selling the exact same thing, but maybe a table the same size but different material than say others are selling X for $xxx. This is more sturdy, same size for $YYY. If you can deliver it for an extra $25-50 then you will probably have a faster sale.

A lof of people that want to buy stuff have no way of easily or cheaply transporting it. I sold a table and chairs to an Old lady that was sitting in basement fast to an old lady that needed a table ASAP. I delivered it and she was only 5 mins away from my place.

You are going to find that a lot of people won't want to pay 50% of what you paid for something (unless it was an Iphone). My how times have changed

$150-$200

Are you sure you paid $1,299 for it? It looks more like a $500-$600 set to me, and even that seems high...but you do have 6 chairs.

Originally Posted by JC1
You are going to find that a lot of people won't want to pay 50% of what you paid for something

Especially furniture. Hope the OP didn't walk in and pay retail for the set. We don't buy much furniture but never buy if it isn't at least 30% off. So what is 15 year old used furniture worth?

Hooker Furniture doesn't show anything close to that style, that doesn't help.

It's used and more than a few years old so immediately take the price you paid and split it in half. No, that doesn't mean ask $650 either. Now factor in that it's 15 years old and not anything special, custom-made, etc. It's factory/mass produced so start with 25% or more off of $650 or around $475 or so as a starting point and I still think that's a bit high. Others are mentioning prices in the $300 range and I have to agree with them.

I think it could sell in the $300-$475 range. Start at $495. If I were looking for decent used furniture that would be a set to consider. While you might be able to find a comparable set for $200, not everyone is in a hurry to sell at low ball numbers. Maybe 1 out 10-20 people are willing to do an immediate dump for whatever they can get. And those buying through a store will pay sales tax as well.

Check out your local Craig's List within a 200 mile radius of your zip code to see what other nice looking kitchen sets of comparable quality are being listed at. And it's not age....but condition. Figure that only the bottom priced 20% actually have a chance of selling. The other 80% are still in denial. We paid $700 for our solid oak kitchen set 40 yrs ago. It's still in great condition and rugged as heck. I would think it's worth $200 and only half the build quality of this OP's set....which is a very nice looking set. That should sell reasonably quick.

I would say depreciate it over 7 years and whatever the salvage value is, use that as a basis for the price.

But that leaves it at book value of $0 so anything you get for it, will be a gain.

150 or 200 with NO SCRATCHES.

Find a local used furniture store. See their prices. Around here a new chair is $80 a piece.

Probably $100 to $150. I was in Costco yesterday and couldn't believe how nice a table and chair setup they had there on display for less then $1000.00. I am not looking to buy therefore didn't look at it that closely.

It looks good where you staged it in your kitchen. Maybe have an "estate sale" with a few knicknacks and this thing front-and-center.

Or, IDK, good photography (like you did) will help it with an online sale.

Is your neighborhood at a similar income level or is this a white elephant?

I'd put it on facebook marketplace, too. Seems hip in my corner now.

$200 tops. Let them work you down to $150.

No way I'd pay any more than that for a 15 year old set of outdated furniture.

$100 if they come and get it. That thing screams early 2000s with that brown tile.

That's the sort of table you would LOVE to get for free as a student but probably would not want to spend much on. Anyone who is willing to drop $300+ is going to want something more modern than that, or wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back